It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tsunami Aid Pours In While "Tsunami A Week" Africa Is Forgotten

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The recent outpouring of aide to the countries hit by the tsunami, highlights another glaring area. The lack of aide sent to Africa. British Prime Minister Tony Blair stated in a speech that Africa is hit by a preventable tsunami a week and is calling for renewed aide to help the struggling continent.

story.news.yahoo.com< br /> NAIROBI (AFP) - The world's overwhelming response to the Indian Ocean tsunamis has underscored the disparity in donor generosity toward Africa, whose population suffers "a tsunami a week" in the words of British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Blair said on Thursday that, despite the huge aid operation in Asia, the world must step up efforts to tackle the plight of Africa, where there is "the equivalent of a man-made preventable tsunami every week".

The disaster caused by Indian Ocean tidal waves was "through the force of nature" but the tragedy of Africa was "through the failure of man", said Blair, who has vowed to tackle African poverty during Britain's term as chair of the G8 group of industrialised nations this year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Donor fatigue is an apt description of the plight of Africa, but can we say all of the efforts over the year had any measurable improvement? I dare say not. From mismanagement to corruption and the like, how many of our hard earned donations have found their way to fund warlords and the like. Is Africa worth saving? Yes. Can we save Africa? I doubt it unless there are wholesale changes in both the continent itself as well as how we provide that aide.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Africa seems to me like the Garden of Eden, with a big "No Trespassing" sign. The whole continent used to be a lush jungle, then something happened to create the eastern mountain range and drive the monkeys onto the plains. Those plains turned to savannahs, then deserts. I don't think we're welcome in Africa anymore, as a species.

What worries me about the aid is that there are so many stages where corruption has the opportunity to take a bite. I have no idea how much aid has been missapropriated so far, there is really no way to calculate an accurate figure.

We've seen it time and time again. Food truck pulls up. Man/men with gun pushes crowd back and offers to distribute food. Food truck unloads and leaves. What happens after that is anyone's guess. Especially in northern Indonesia. That's no man's land. Africa is little better, because they still have more militias than officials. I don't claim officials could do any better mind you..

I know I don't trust the Red Cross, and I know that governments constantly divert international aid to programs like infrastructure in undamaged areas, inceased law enforcement/military presence in disgruntled areas, and of course bribes and kickbacks. How much is really left by the time it makes it to the man on the ground? I'd wager no more than thirty cents of every dollar, and I think I'm being somewhat generous with that figure.

Africa is always ignored. No matter how many people live there, or how much they need help, people consistently turn a blind eye on Africa. The Rwandan massacre is a perfect example, mirrored time and time again in places like Congo, Darfur, Somalia, Ivory Coast, and more. The international community comes too late, if at all, and they don't even know who to point their guns at once they arrive.

The aid that's pouring in, does that include operational costs for military units sent for relief missions? I've been trying to find that out and nobody I've read so far seems to know for sure.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
As long as the disater doesn't hit africa the US will help! YAY! how about the MILLIONS slaughtered by machete 10 years ago in Rwanda???? we couldn't help them huh? whatever!!! where is this mney coming from????? we can't provide heath care,but we can fun millions in inaguration parties for W!!!!! please!!

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The poverty level in Africa is inexcusable in today's world. I'm all for the U.N.'s recent plan to eliminate worldwide poverty, but it should have started yesterday. It's gotta start sometime.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychosgirl
As long as the disater doesn't hit africa the US will help! YAY! how about the MILLIONS slaughtered by machete 10 years ago in Rwanda???? we couldn't help them huh? whatever!!! where is this mney coming from????? we can't provide heath care,but we can fun millions in inaguration parties for W!!!!! please!!

And $400 billion a year on defence and so many billions on slingshots in space! (deep impact) I hear ya!

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
You can only help those that allow you to help. Africa is a money pit, no matter how much we put in things never change. I hate to sound ignorant, but until the people on that continent allow us to help and show some inclination of helping themselves I won't waste another damn dime on them.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
One region of the world America didn't largely make a mess of is Africa. Let the Belgian's and French clean up the messes they made. Hell, when Colin Powell tried to call Sudan a genocide, which now much of the world agrees to, there was a pretty big backlash - just because it was America saying it.

The US needs to stay out of interventionist foreign policy - war making, aid giving, protecting our banana republics - all of it. We may as well be damned if we don't, at least that doesn't cost lives.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Tsunami Aid Pours In While "Tsunami A Week" Africa Is Forgotten

ya i posted something similar to this on ats a few days ago, about a project taking place to inform the public of how such a minimal amount of effort made by developed countries can make such a huge difference for the undeveloped world. its called the borgen project, and some of the stats are staggering

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-raven

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Africa is a huge mess. Like said before, when you arrive you dont know who is innocent or who is paramilitary or part of the warlord campaign. Africa has to clean itself up before anyone can really go in and do anything about it. We, US has tried this so many times before in the last 30-40 yrs, we havent even made a dent. Whatever we do or any nation does, the warlords or paramilitary groups rush in, push the people back and take over then make them pay thru slavery, sex, taxes, barter, gold, diamonds or what have you. Some countries are starting to make a difference, but those are countries that stand up and push back and have the resources and the will of the people to do so. Alot of other places dont have the will cause of the warlords and their hate/fear tactics.

I mean look at Somalia, their own govt doesnt even operate in the country cause its unsafe. They run the country across the border.

Besides if aid were given, the warlords will send their people in to take the aid and relief items, then turn around and sell them to the people who need it. Or they will wait til all aid is distributed, infrastructure rebuilt, etc and they will walk in after everyone leaves and take it anyhow.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It is much easier to give to a one shot disaster, that you don't expect to happen on a regular basis than someplace that seems to forever be in crisis.

Note: Analogy for emotional reference only.
It is like giving to someone who has always been self sufficient and just had a bad break, like a house fire or something as opposed to a drug addict who like as not will die before they ever get their lives together.
One feels like helping a compatriot, the other is like feeding a vampire, where does it end?

Africa [We generalize it too much] seems to have barely one or two decent governments in the entire continent. Some people blame that on hangovers from colonialism, but I think part of it may be something more intrinsic like the climate.
The continent's ecosystem is too fragile [droughts] to support the current population there. Strife between people becomes inevitable.

The entire planet's ecosystem almost certainly can not support the current world's population without some new developments too. So perhaps we should pay attention to Africa and maybe we can learn something from it that will help the entire world.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
In the same period that 3000 people had died in the Bosnia crisis, 500 000 died in the Rwanda civil war. Which one got all the news coverage? Why? I have my opinion on it, what is yours?
I saw a headline last year in our local paper, "Man killed in Africa."
I thought to myself, tens of thousands of Africans starve or are killed every day, what is so special about this one man? I read the first line and knew the answer. It was a white farmer in Zimbabwe. That told me a lot.
Africa is a mess, as so many are eager to point out. What they don't explain, for whatever reason, is the cause. Many of the nations could feed themselves, but the western advisors (to use a euphemistic title), got them to plant mono-cultural crops, such as cocoa and coffee, for export to us instead.
22 000 kids a day starve to death.
28 000 kids die due to lack of basic medical care.
that equals 50 000 a day. No one cares, it never makes the 6 oclock news.
Why?
I guess most people agree with a couple of previous posts, if we don't just let them die, there will be too many of them!
Interesting concept. Feel the love people.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
The poverty level in Africa is inexcusable in today's world. I'm all for the U.N.'s recent plan to eliminate worldwide poverty, but it should have started yesterday. It's gotta start sometime.

I am skeptial of the U.N. doing anything. What exactly have they acomplished in Africa? Zip Zero Nada Butkis. The U.N. as it stands is a joke. Great for making speeches and pointing the finger, but actually doing something?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mscbkc070904
Africa is a huge mess. Like said before, when you arrive you dont know who is innocent or who is paramilitary or part of the warlord campaign. Africa has to clean itself up before anyone can really go in and do anything about it.

So many forces and events have conspired to make Africa what it is - like the man-made tsunamis Blair talks about.

But the real problems with Africa just don't change - it's still a rich continent, full of minerals and shiny things, and the troubles won't stop til the boys are done raping and pillaging and looting. Until then - blame the girl for being seductive - and say she's causing her own problems.

A bit more background, FYI and FYF:

www.ariannaonline.com...

Executive Outcomes is the mercenary arm of a vast network of British-South African corporations dealing in gold, diamonds, and oil, primarily, but not exclusively, in Africa, that come under the umbrella of Strategic Resources Corporation, headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa. Described universally as an "advance guard of a corporate network that includes mining, oil, and construction companies," Executive Outcomes is active in 13 African countries, including Uganda. For its services, it demands a lien or franchise on the exportable raw resources, particularly mineral wealth, of the client country--in the same fashion as the British East India Company of the 18th and 19th centuries, which in turn functioned as the "advance guard" of the British monarchy.

...Executive Outcomes was incorporated offshore, on the Isle of Man, in 1993, by Anthony Buckingham, a British businessman, and Simon Mann, a former British officer, the [Observer] reported, based on a leak to it from British intelligence. Buckingham is also chief executive of Heritage Oil and Gas, which in turn is linked to the Canadian firm Ranger Oil. Other firms operating out of the same headquarters in Chelsea Plaza 107, London, include Branch International Ltd. and Branch Mining Ltd.

...The links between Executive Outcomes and Ranger Oil point to operational ties with the Bronfman family of Canada, whose scion, Edgar Bronfman of Toronto Broncorp, sits on the board of directors of Ranger. Recently, the Bronfman family merged its mammoth real estate firm, Trizec, with Barrick Gold, whose senior advisory board includes George Bush.

...The ability of Executive Outcomes to thrive as privatized warlords, it is believed, is in part due to the privatization of U.S. intelligence services by George Bush, who, as vice president, beginning in 1981, carried out Executive Order 12333, which placed all U.S. intelligence operations under Bush's personal control.

...Evidence points to Executive Outcomes being a direct and likely the biggest spin-off of the British Special Air Services (SAS), formed in 1941 by the late Lt. Col. David Stirling. ...The SAS lies outside the British government's official military structure, and is accountable to the Sovereign Queen only. According to the British Army handbook, the SAS--similar to EO today--is “particularly suited, trained, and equipped for counter-revolutionary operations,”' specializing in “sabotage,” “assassination,” as well as “liaison with organization, training, and control of friendly guerrilla forces operating against the common enemy.”

[edit on 24-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by astral_ice
You can only help those that allow you to help. Africa is a money pit, no matter how much we put in things never change. I hate to sound ignorant, but until the people on that continent allow us to help and show some inclination of helping themselves I won't waste another damn dime on them.

I couldnt agree more. Africa is filled with feudal warlords that snatch any aid sent there for their own gain. The population sit of their asses feeling sorry for themselves with the begging bowl out.

The Indians and orientals know how to get off their collecteve bums and try to help themselves. And that shows bravery. I'm sorry but Africa no longer has my sympathy, the Oriental peoples have put them to shame by showing how coming together and trying to make things better is the right way not sitting on their asses wailing at their doom. If they are going to die, TRY TO CHANGE IT what is there to lose.

Sorry its the old saying: help those who help themselves, and Africa wont. they are their own worst enemy.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz

Africa is filled with feudal warlords that snatch any aid sent there for their own gain.

...help those who help themselves, and Africa wont. they are their own worst enemy.

Guess you missed my post above:

www.ariannaonline.com...

Executive Outcomes is the mercenary arm of a vast network of British-South African corporations dealing in gold, diamonds, and oil, primarily, but not exclusively, in Africa, that come under the umbrella of Strategic Resources Corporation, headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa.

...The ability of Executive Outcomes to thrive as privatized warlords, it is believed, is in part due to the privatization of U.S. intelligence services by George Bush, who, as vice president, beginning in 1981, carried out Executive Order 12333, which placed all U.S. intelligence operations under Bush's personal control.

The point - Africa is being raped. You're blaming the victim.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

The victim needs to fight back

The problem with Africa...its leaders...the leaders are corrupt, money grabbing, evil (insert swear word...or two
).

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Originally posted by soficrow

The victim needs to fight back

You mean like with spears and arrows against machine guns, missiles, tsunamis and bioweapons?

...So the corporate NWO bribes the leaders, Executive Outcomes creams the people and the big boys make off the with diamonds, gold and oil - but you're STILL saying it's Africa's fault?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
to begin curing Africa of its ills..
you just have to do one of two things...
1. leave it totally alone... no outside interferance from any country or financial interest...
2. or totally control it thru military occupation and intervention.... (worse than iraq) the problems are many, and the motivations are money... africa is probably one of the richest countries in the world... but the corruption of its rulers keeps the money out of the peoples hands...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I too have been wondering about the effect of the Tsunami appeal on other aid programs. So far I read more has been given to this appeal than for the entire aid last year in the entire world.

Forgetting a complicated place like Africa, where any help seems to shrivel up and die, is easy, when you can focus on the easy problems like relief, which also has a very high political benefit as well.

Countries in Africa like Nigeria, Congo, etc have vast potential, yet since independance are little more than "lootocracies" with their economy being stripped and resources stolen by their own people.

Nothing will help Africa until the Africans help themselves. Anything sent in there is doomed in the long term to fill the pockets of some corrupt leader.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I thought I had posted here earlier. I guess for whatever reason it didn't go through.

The West pretty well boogered up things in Africa beyond repair. We went in and colonized the hell out of them, used tribes against one another, then divided the continent up into small unstable nations before we left. You think just maybe the colonial powers knew they were leaving a sharply divided continent behind that would never be able to rival them or serve as anything other than a bottom link for the economic foodchain?

I'm not saying that we started this or that the West is evil and everyone else isn't. I'm just saying that human civilization has been factioned and warlike for as long as it has existed and that Africa has fallen victim to this in the most extreme way.

It would take a bloodbath to fix Africa now. It would take wars of conquest, subjegations of people to a national identity, and probably a few genocides. All of this stuff was allowed to happen in Europe and Asia hundreds or even thousands of years ago. It was allowed to happen in the Americas just 200 years ago. But now, all of a sudden, everyone has said "TIME UP! We're all going to be civilized and stable now." This means that African nations can never grow and take shape the way modern nations elsewhere have in the past.

Somebody has to consolidate government and resources in that nation and create viable national futures to bring down the "kleptocracies" and warlordisms. Smaller weaker nations have to be absorbed by viable ones. Small nationalist minorities have to be assimiliated or destroyed.
Alliances have to be made and protected and rivals have to be eliminated. Africa needs a few hundreds years of development and war to consolidate 54 nations into somewhere between 20 and 30, create national identities, establish sound relationships with the outside world, and in short go through the stages of development that Europe went through some 500-1000 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join