It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Arrests Outnumber Those for Violent Crimes, Study Finds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilburnRoach
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Trump wants to continue and expand the arrests, so does Chris Christie. Hillary wants to decriminalize it with criminal justice reform. Trump wants stop and frisk for all!!!

Oh yeah I forgot that Chris "I'm a fatass hypocrite who judges people who smoke" Christie is on Trump's team. Well it's good that Hillary is winning then.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Trump wants to continue and expand the arrests, so does Chris Christie. Hillary wants to decriminalize it with criminal justice reform. Trump wants stop and frisk for all!!!

Sure she will.

Better hope for Hillary doing something than Chris Christie and Trump.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Sure she will.

Doubt it but with Trump being a business man and his past thoughts on marijuana especially medical MJ and states rights i think that makes him the better choice for legalizing or at the very least decriminalizing it.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Sure she will.

Doubt it but with Trump being a business man and his past thoughts on marijuana especially medical MJ and states rights i think that makes him the better choice for legalizing or at the very least decriminalizing it.

That is absurd logic. First, where is your evidence? Second He has Chris Christie lined up to be his AG who doesn't want legalized weed or even decriminalized weed. He straight up wants to go back to the 1980's with weed prosecution. Meanwhile, Trump has no clear position on this plant. Of course that is par the course for Trump, but with this its different. He hasn't even spoken about his position yet. You are just reading into what you WANT him to do.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Maybe if it's illegal they shouldn't smoke it.
That would probably stop the arrests for possession.

Stupid law? Yep
Try to change the law. It will happen eventually.

How about we stop grabbing our ankles for the government every time they lie to us about something being bad?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I agree it's absolutely ludicrous to have any criminality for marijuana, short of DWI, but isn't a major component of that equation that there's a lot more marijuana possession than there is violent crime?

Again, yes it's stupid that it is illegal in most places still, but it's kind of like pointing out that fender benders happen far more often that fatal car accidents.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Seriously? This is the kind of behavior that breeds contempt for the police.

The police don't create the laws, they are just tasked with enforcing them.

If you are wondering why urban dwellers all hate the police these days, THIS is one of the reasons. But regardless, there are white people and rural residents arrested for pot too.

Right--because, under the current laws, pot growth, selling, distributing, possessing, and consuming are all illegal. People who do any of these (and I've had my moments, so I'm no hypocrite, here) are knowingly breaking the law, but feel that breaking the law is less worrisome than the penalties for doing so.

Sometimes they are proven mistaken, but it's their own actions that lead to the end result, regardless of my own personal feelings about the illegality of drugs and the harshness of the punishments (which I think that the government shouldn't be able to tell adults what they can not ingest in their own bodies, and I think that the punishments WAY outweigh the severity of these crimes).

This issue should resonate with the whole country. Why doesn't it?

Because most people know that it's pretty easy not to break the law, so when people choose to do so, it's only them concerning their punishment.

But all of that said, I despise victimless crimes and the overly harsh penalties that accompany many of them, especially drug offenses. But you know, I'm also a major advocate of acting like an adult and not breaking the law, and if you do, you have no one to blame except yourself.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't vote to repeal laws that criminalize drug use, but if and until that happens, be an adult about it--understand that it's illegal, and if you choose to break the law, understand what punishment(s) may lie in waiting for you.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Hillary wants a syria no fly zone.....

As much as I want Pot made legal, i woukd rather wait another 4 years than die in WW3 under hillary....

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
The police don't create the laws, they are just tasked with enforcing them.

It's pretty easy not to enforce that law.

Right--because, under the current laws, pot growth, selling, distributing, possessing, and consuming are all illegal. People who do any of these (and I've had my moments, so I'm no hypocrite, here) are knowingly breaking the law, but feel that breaking the law is less worrisome than the penalties for doing so.

Sometimes they are proven mistaken, but it's their own actions that lead to the end result, regardless of my own personal feelings about the illegality of drugs and the harshness of the punishments (which I think that the government shouldn't be able to tell adults what they can not ingest in their own bodies, and I think that the punishments WAY outweigh the severity of these crimes).

So it's illegal and that's that then? They are bad people for breaking the law and they should know better? No there are such a thing as bad laws and it is American tradition to buck or break bad laws. How else would this get support if people weren't trying it themselves and finding out that the plant is WAY more benign then the government advertised?

Because most people know that it's pretty easy not to break the law, so when people choose to do so, it's only them concerning their punishment.

But all of that said, I despise victimless crimes and the overly harsh penalties that accompany many of them, especially drug offenses. But you know, I'm also a major advocate of acting like an adult and not breaking the law, and if you do, you have no one to blame except yourself.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't vote to repeal laws that criminalize drug use, but if and until that happens, be an adult about it--understand that it's illegal, and if you choose to break the law, understand what punishment(s) may lie in waiting for you.

That's not my point. Regardless if you break the law or not and use you should be outraged that these people are going to jail for this crime. You should be stepping up and speaking up for these people so we can get the laws changed. This ambivalent attitude you have because they decided to break the law isn't helping anything. It's only contributing to prolonging this weird quasi-legal status that marijuana sits on.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Because stoners are the only group of substance abusers that think they have a god given right to get high the way they want to. You almost never see a heroin user smoking his stuff right on the street,wearing his 420 shirt while driving his car with his I

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lice000
So drug users should be ashamed of their habits then? They should be corralled to the basements and pits so that the rest of society doesn't have to know their hobbies?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

So drug users should be ashamed of their habits then? They should be corralled to the basements and pits so that the rest of society doesn't have to know their hobbies?

WTF are you talking about? lol, i would hardly call smoking pot a "hobby". But no, i was merely suggesting that being so incredibly open about it is not so much an act of rebellion as it is stupid, maybe just smoking it not in public would be a good start.
I love hard drugs but i have the common sense to keep my substance abuse out of the public eye.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Drug use is certainly a hobby. What would you call it?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Drug use is certainly a hobby. What would you call it?

A profession

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
As a non-user even I vouch for how crazy this is. They should have made it legal two or three decades ago, and let those kids and adults out of jail. It's the most asinine thing we do.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I really hope that the next President makes this into an issue during their Presidency, because at this point relying on Obama to get this fixed isn't going to happen.

cant rely on clinton to fix it either

Leak Reveals Clinton Promised Bankers To Stand Against Marijuana Legalization
www.abovetopsecret.com...

on the other hand trump has attended multiple "legalize it" rallies making clear he supports legalization of pot
www.merryjane.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

That's not going to be enough to get me to switch from Hillary to Trump. That email was from 2014, before the Bernie revolution. So I'm going to keep relying on Bernie instead.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think the biggest red flag about this story is that, this one and many other stories just like it all say "a study finds" but none of them actually say what study they are talking about. I feel its wrong to take advantage of pot smokers, a study did just find that they will believe anything if it has to do with smoking weed or legalizing it.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Two seconds reading the article produced this link. You're welcome.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join