It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One day...all the "1's" and "0's" will Fail on Us!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
(moderators, you can put this where you wish, but it seemed appropriate here)...

One day all the "1's" and "0's" will fail on us, they will! In many ways they already have! All that "technology", it holds most of people's lives and history. Gawn forbid a person's cell phone crashes or is stolen...it could take their whole life with it. This is not a rant about twitter, or FailBook, but rather an observation about the life and times we live in.

Twenty years ago if someone told a story they could likely find supporting evidence in 35mm pictures, or some hand written account. Now, 35mm film can no longer even be developed and they don't even teach handwriting in schools. Computers die, hard drives die, flash drives die...and with them goes everything on them. Sure, you can backup everything to everything else...you can use the "cloud" even (what a joke), but sooner or later you're going to lose everything! Oh sure, you'll deny the hardship; what, it was just a bunch of pictures...so what? Right?

Technology changes almost by the minute. The storage system you had last month is obsolete this month. And, next year you can't even find the connector, or the driver, it takes to access all that "old" stuff. More stuff lost...but no matter, right? It's only history, who cares!

Technology, despite it's seeming convenience, hasn't really helped the human race. Frankly, it has actually injured us as a whole. Sadly, I work in the business, and I see it every day.

What will tomorrow bring? what about all those pictures and stories on that arcane portable drive you no longer have access to? No worries???? I think not. In the 21st Century, technology has brought us nothing but a "Me, right now" society...and when tomorrow comes, well, what then?

Personally, I write things down (sometimes with a pencil even, a wooden one). No compatibility required for future generations. I write about life in the modern era. Yeah, maybe future generations won't be able to decipher cursive hand writing (in pencil), but I'll take my chances. At least there's not an "adapter" required.

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

That is all.

edit on 10/3/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We are definitely going to lose valuable information and historical information with the way things are heading.

I do miss the good old days when books and radio were the primary medium of information..

Maybe you should start a movement to preserve information! I would be willing to help. Just a thought, you're obviously very passionate about this subject and I'm sure many others are too (I am)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well before books and radio, there was this thing called word of mouth, story telling and lore.

If you want to really be technophobic, you have to include that heretical book thing and electronic signal devices.

I think what we as individuals do with technology will far outweigh any fears of 'matrix' failures may bring.

Sure if we let tptb run the show, then we lose. but we have all the power we need to maintain things, just teach your kids that their iphone is not a window into the soul, but just a tool to be used.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Last year I bought nearly 1,000 wooden cedar pencils. (I collect them, but I use them also). I write things down, observations, life, thoughts, ideas and things about the world around me. I write them on "paper", real paper. No next-gen dated microshaft driver (or apple) will stop me from being able to look back on those moments! I don't need Windows "Super Ultra..version x35", and I don't need an "upgrade". In fact, I don't even need electricity to sharpen my pencil!

Though I work with some of the most advanced technology known to man, I write with a simple pencil and a piece of actual paper! Do I have a cord for it, or an adapter? Probably, but none of them work on my pencil, nor are they required.

50 years from now when you can't get on the interwebz without watching 85 minutes of commercials first, people will be albe to read the simple words I've written down in pencil on paper. Perhaps they won't care, or even know how to understand them, but as I've said...I'll take my chances.

Technology is only a friend to the lazy. And, as it seems right now, the lazy are inheriting the Earth (and they're not doing much with it)!

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Pencil and paper aren't exactly infallible.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

But...why not teach them how to just put that iPhone down and "write" something down??????

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Explain your logic....

Please?

ETA...indeed, to write something down does not make it correct, but that's not the point!

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You have to be older, as am I. I think about this alot. Took me years to write with a pen instead of pencil but still have pencils (erasing is so convenient). I write my thoughts on paper and love holding a book in my hand. If you want to communicate with me or me with another...use the phone. I can here the tone of your voice and better understand where you are coming from. Facebook is no longer part of my life and never will be.

S&F

edit to add: I long for the peace, open door and walking down the street at night with just me and a friend.
edit on 3-10-2016 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I scrap computers. Evertime I find one I hammer it apart get the hard drive platter out and scratch it until I can't see my reflection anymore.

grrr... the information age.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

A piece of prose written on paper with graphite can be lost to the elements or the abyss just as quickly as the 1's and 0's of technology can be wiped from a system.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

After all electronics die, an entire generation will sit and stare at their phones and sob because they won't be able to tweet what their bowel movement was like.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Explain your logic....

Please?

ETA...indeed, to write something down does not make it correct, but that's not the point!

The point exists only at the tip of that pencil you love so much. You had to bend to technology to even discuss it.

Once upon a time, men likely felt the same about books and mourned the perceived loss of group discussion.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

I am 53. Yes, perhaps older, but I can still wrangle the cows on the ranch. I choose to think of this subject as more "realistic" as opposed to "arcane" and old. People look at all this new technology as if it is their next panacea. I see it as a "crutch", and I never let any piece of technology get in the way of doing the right thing...there is no excuse! Hard work cannot be done via an iPhone! Sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves and get dirty!

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Not nearly as fast, or nearly as easily.

With just a 9V battery I can erase your life history on electronic media...try that same thing with my paper and pencil!

C'mon...are you sticking up for this technology nonsense?

link   
Double!

link   
Triple!!

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Quadruple...WTH???

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I could certainly stand to print out a lot of my pictures, which are all digital. Now that I think on it, I really should do that. Although there are still places in town that develop regular old film.
Even with that said, I take pics with digital cameras, which I can then print out, if I were not so damn lazy about it.

I think there is value to preserving written information, much would be lost if we were to lose access to our electronics, which is a shame. I do write things down, usually when I'm at work, just for my own visual needs to see things in front of my face. Then you have the opposite extreme like my mom who insists on printing everything out and keeping tons of paper clutter. There has to be a happy medium.
edit on 3-10-2016 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MaMaa

Yes, there are still 'legacy' machines which will develop 35mm film. They do it without regard to color and calibration. Most are neglected and the results are poor at best.

On the digital front, well, you can have people 'make prints' from them, but you do know they sell all the images off to multi-media companies to pay for the equipment, right? Every image you post on-line is the same way (because you have to post it with a hosting service...and 9/10 times the terms & conditions (i.e. small print) absolve you of your rights to the material when you put them up on the host site).

Technology, ain't it grand????

LOL!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: liveandlearn

I am 53. Yes, perhaps older, but I can still wrangle the cows on the ranch. I choose to think of this subject as more "realistic" as opposed to "arcane" and old. People look at all this new technology as if it is their next panacea. I see it as a "crutch", and I never let any piece of technology get in the way of doing the right thing...there is no excuse! Hard work cannot be done via an iPhone! Sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves and get dirty!

I am older and love the internet but that is about it. Yes, I agree with realistic. Purposely avoiding other forms of tech unless it become a necessity. Nothing can replace handwriting an experience or relaying it verbally to a relative of friend. I have major problems with the 'doing' part but have begun to work on it.

You, at your 'young' age are an inspiration to all regardless the age.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join