It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One day...all the "1's" and "0's" will Fail on Us!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Paper. Wide or college rule, or sketch if lines do not surmise to the mood that I am in. No.2 classic school grade Chattanoogas' I believe their called, knife sharpened because I like incredibly fine tips. But only if I'm in a fluid, thought scrambled state (erasers are great, even the cheap ones. Because smudging reveals what could have been.). Most times its a zebra F-130 (.7) black ink stainless steel. Its my soul in form.

I think the art of writing is slowly being lost. with all the fonts you can choose nowadays to type your words, why refine your own way? The way you write, not only what you write, is a form of art. Albeit from the grandmasters of forgery, how you write a letter, a word, a paragraph, is too each there own.

Though I digress for forward thoughts atuned to rambling. No form of words compare to the power of written word, I do believe. Cursive, print, or chicken scratch. They all have a way and soul of their own.

Write and be lost in a header of mind, a body of soul, and a closing transcending the spirit.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Use a pen, pencil rubs off sooner than ink.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paradoxroutine

Write and be lost in a header of mind, a body of soul, and a closing transcending the spirit.

WOW...that's deep!

I was going to comment on the rest of your post, but I'm still collecting myself after my chair being blown back against the wall (at rapid speed) and me falling off of it onto the floor reading that last part!!

ETA...I think Mark Twain's head just exploded in his grave even! Crap, I think I might have had an aneurism!! Wind and fire like shot out of my screen on that one!!!

LOL!!!

...I think the dog might even be scorched a little! He's smoldering.

edit on 10/3/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Pencil and paper aren't exactly infallible.

Exactly. I think people forget about the massive fires that would destroy historical records and ancient libraries, literally erasing irreplaceable works. Or how war and plunder would also erase entire civilizations and their histories, literature, etc.

But at least digital technology makes it easy to backup that info. Entire ancient works of literature and art can be scanned into a computer and sent around the world in minutes. As long as there's a way to read the storage technology, the digital copies can last forever.

edit on 3-10-2016 by enlightenedservant because: had a typo. "computer and" not "computer ans". (facepalm)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Technology changes almost by the minute. The storage system you had last month is obsolete this month. And, next year you can't even find the connector, or the driver, it takes to access all that "old" stuff. More stuff lost...but no matter, right? It's only history, who cares!

Maybe I'm a little biased as a second generation IT professional from a long line of nerds.

I realize that was hyperbole but storage has been doing nothing but getting bigger, faster and cheaper decade after decade. Recent years have seen all sorts of free cloud storage rolling out which makes it easier to store things offline and most people are posting pictures to social media.

You can buy in a grocery store check out line a thumb drive with a chip smaller than a fingernail that will hold all the data from a room full of filing cabinets and an attic packed with photo albums. You can also DUPLICATE that data as many times as you want.

I'd say quite the opposite of true.

Hundreds of years now people won't simply read about history, they'll see it ultra HD.

Relax. Think of how amazing Benjamin Franklin's twitter feed would be.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Like this?

The Smoking Gun - Blaze Destroyed Trump Testimony For Roy Cohn

The January 2015 blaze that gutted the CitiStorage facility in Williamsburg destroyed a massive collection of historical records stored there by the New York state court system. Included in the tens of thousands of boxes of records incinerated were files relating to the disbarment proceeding brought against Roy Cohn, the reptilian attorney who gained fame at the shoulder of Senator Joseph McCarthy and eventually became a fixer and confidant for New York gangsters, politicians, and tycoons.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I'd also add as somebody who has done a lot of geneaological research, it's going to amazing what our descendants will have access to.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

LOL Yep, like that. I'm actually convinced that some companies keep records in paper form in case they need a quick "accident" like that.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

While supplies last. Not available in all areas. Limit 1 per customer.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Nice find! That's $369 per megabyte in 1981. Now you can buy the equivalent of about 400,000 of these drives for about $100.

Apples to apples that's just over 2 cents now for what cost $3,695 about 35 years ago.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I've enjoyed your posts and your posts of late especially so. S+F and hope you continue with more.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I remember paying an extra grand on my first "real" home computer's hard drive. 100 full megabytes! The guy at the computer store literally laughed at me and asked what I was going to do with all that space. (Not surprising he went out of business I guess) But, I wanted to do video editting and 3D rendering. Never quite got there, professionally...but, good times!

Lately, I've been looking for stuff I wrote back then. And am finding quite a bit of it, tucked away in various archives.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Very true.

Nobody even prints out real pictures anymore. They're all texted out, facebooked etc. I have one friend who prints every picture! My sister gets hers developed and gives me some. She's very old school, reads books, only just got a smartphone. She only just learned how to burn music on CDs. I don't even play my CDs anymore.

I write a lot of notes but my handwriting is looking crappy. Used to be good. I have friends who write real letters still

I keep meaning to get some favourite photos developed, but never do.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

edit on 4-10-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I used to enjoy writing in pencil and pen at school and when bored write a few made up stories/poems etc...When i was young computer's had barely come out or were still dial up into my late teens lol.

Now i barely even write anything at all, everything is computer's, tablets, smartphones etc, so do get what you mean by how time has moved on and technology is the big boss.

Today's kids/teens don't know anything about (not having internet) even at school they use it more often, we'd survive without it but would they?

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
I used to enjoy writing in pencil and pen at school and when bored write a few made up stories/poems etc...When i was young computer's had barely come out or were still dial up into my late teens lol.

Now i barely even write anything at all, everything is computer's, tablets, smartphones etc, so do get what you mean by how time has moved on and technology is the big boss.

Today's kids/teens don't know anything about (not having internet) even at school they use it more often, we'd survive without it but would they?

We could/should have more writing, reading books etc and only have internet for secondary use, that would free people's minds, to do other stuff than sit playing games or YouTube vids.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
You need to find the middle.

Trusting tech to much
Trusting tech just enough - the middle.
Not trusting tech at all

Although I must add that you need a lot of expertise to use tech correctly.
Social Media is a bad idea unless you're doing PR for a company - social media is just a cheap way to advertise, nothing more. Private things should stay private. Not all hope should be placed on the machine or human, equilibrium is what you need.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
No worries... History has been shown to repeat itself. Technology can't last forever. We have forgotten the Sun giveth and the Sun also taketh. Not that the Sun is the only way we could go back to the 1800's it's just a way that seems inevitable.

The Sun over the last few years has been asleep. When it wakes up we could all be in for a rude awakening. Once the older generations die off humans across the globe will only be able to tap into the memory bank for memories given to them by their grandparents regarding what they did to survive before electricity.

Im 43, grew up on a farm , and have raised my two teens to be outside and didn't buy them electronics. Their dad did though. As soon as they were 13 their love for nature turned to love of social media. Now 16 and 19 they escape from time to time to connect with nature but it's nothing like being connected all the time.

History shows us civilizations reached a peak in technology then vanished. I doubt they went to Mars.

The odds of human civilization being plunged back into a pre-technology era are not in dispute. Every day that goes by is another roll of the dice, and a direct hit on the planet by a massive CME is mathematically inevitable. On a larger time scale, in fact, large solar flares might be viewed as a kind of "galactic rebooting" of inhabited planets, humbling civilizations back into the pre-electronics era and causing a massive die-off of the unprepared. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

Nearly all humans alive today falsely assume that human civilization is robust and redundant. They do not understand how their food, water, air conditioning, economic activities and personal safety are all heavily dependent on complex electronic devices which will not survive a sufficiently large solar flare. As a result, few people will understand what's really happening when the CME strikes. Suddenly, nearly all electronic devices will simultaneously cease to function. The world will fall silent, and within minutes the panic will begin. Thrust back into the 19th century, the world will likely see a loss of billions of lives. Under-developed agricultural nations like Papua New Guinea will experience the highest survival rates, and rural families will vastly out-live urban dwellers across every nation. Those people who can grow their own food, defend their property against looters and safeguard their health with natural remedies will vastly out-live those who can't. This scenario is precisely what nearly unfolded in the summer of 2012. And there is no question that it will happen to our civilization sooner or later. With a 12% chance of a direct hit every decade, it's likely to be "sooner" rather than "later." Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

edit on 4-10-2016 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

We are definitely going to lose valuable information and historical information with the way things are heading.

The truly important stuff will live on....Vinyl rules!

When the day comes when all that wonderful electronic mush stops working, the music will play on.

A pin and a cone of paper will remind us of the great songs we could still listen to, and analogue is better than 0's and 1's because it contains everything in between despite how much it can be remastered.

Why do you think 'Voyager' had a record on it instead of a CD, DVD, or other digital drive format?

Rock will live forever.

edit on 4/10/2016 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What will the future bring? If current trends keep up this will either be a world full of idiots:

Or people so dependent on machines and computerization they can't even wipe their own butts:

edit on 4-10-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join