It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets discuss which DJs play MP3 and which does live mixing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
For example; David Guetta is heavly mp3. I remember he cancelled almost his whole tour after losing his usb stick.

I don't know but it was not Tiesto but someone else who demonstrated midi and beat controlled/triggered light works tech of a company for proper live shows.

The main reason many so called DJs play mp3s are actually their home produced (which are very nice) are played with the pre written light work/flames/confetti map so they are just mainly using EQ knobs between songs and nothing more to keep with the premapped plan.

What do you think and who do you think are playing mainly their pre-prepared sets? Because a real disk jockey does not and can not play the exact same stuff through the whole tour.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
You've worded the OP wrong, I think the word you are looking for is "Sync"

MP3 is just the type of music file, And as the CD is going the way of the tape cassette nearly everyone is using MP3's Even the vinyl guys are using MP3, they use a coded vinyl running serato or Traktor. the coded vinyl controls the MP3 just like a normal vinyl.

Sync to me is a massive no no, It shows lack of skill, and nearly everyone that uses it fails to learn some of the more advanced techniques to DJ'ing, Things like mixing in key, The general beat structure of a song, How to correct a track when the BPM strays, when to properly mix a song and they also fail to detect when songs key clash.

I can spot/hear a "Syncer" from a mile away.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: belkide

I don't know much about house. But I've been to countless independent hip hop shows where they're spinning, scratching and mixing all vinyl. Not a laptop in sight and it's always amazing.

In real hip hop circles, vinyl's not dead and mp3 DJ's are laughed at.

edit on 2-10-2016 by AgarthaSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

mp3 DJ's are laughed at.

For me...DJs in general are laughed at.
Playing a record and using sequencers and samplers has never impressed me,especially since a lot use other people's music to compensate for them not knowing how to make their own without some computer dohickey.

I am curious to know which DJs actually have any musical ability and can either write music,read music or play an instrument.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well, you see these.. 'File, Open.. Press Play' type shows where everything is Midi'd up, even Midi sync to DMX for the lights & video, and you have to ask yourself... Do the 'Audience' even care anymore ?? I'd guess it's all about the 'Experience', or 'Selfie Opportunity'.. Crack on.. Not MY Cuppa Tea, but certainly good for the Economy

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

mp3 DJ's are laughed at.

For me...DJs in general are laughed at.
Playing a record and using sequencers and samplers has never impressed me,especially since a lot use other people's music to compensate for them not knowing how to make their own without some computer dohickey.

I am curious to know which DJs actually have any musical ability and can either write music,read music or play an instrument.

A DJ was never meant to be a musician. He's supposed to move the crowd. But it undoubtedly takes skill and precise timing to really cut it up.

I wasn't talking about a wedding DJ that just plays records.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun
Most djs used to end up learning about key signatures and even the frequencies of notes. A lot who make computer music play directly through midi so know how to play a keyboard and chord shapes.

MP3 DJs are different.

I know what you're saying, it does seem talentless. A beat matching trick rather than something related to composing and playing music. It's much more than that though.

Scratch DJs are incredible at using other people's music. But again, their skill is overlooked as the turntables are not viewed as an instrument. I'm not sure they are. But turntablists are incredible, once you know what's going on.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
a reply to: belkide

I don't know much about house. But I've been to countless independent hip hop shows where they're spinning, scratching and mixing all vinyl. Not a laptop in sight and it's always amazing.

In real hip hop circles, vinyl's not dead and mp3 DJ's are laughed at.

I think you are misunderstanding How the equipment works, DJ's still spin, scratch and mix MP3's, most of the vinyl you see is coded vinyl that controls the MP3, Even the DMC champions are using MP3's.

MP3 is just a file format, It has no relation to the skill of the DJ, What you are saying is the equivalent of "people who watch DVD's are crap at watching films"

Here is DJ Brace using MP3's controlled by vinyl

DJ Brace

DJ'ing has gotten so complex many people dont understand it, Like the person on this thread that says a DJ isnt a musician, He/She hasnt got a clue what they are talking about, The skill needed to do that set DJ Brace does in that video is up there with the best guitar player/piano player/Drummer in the world.
One of the problems is there are too many "poster boy DJ's" , Its the same as any genre, pop music has "boy bands" which is just generic cheese grade music for teenage girls, Dance music has Avicci....

These are terrible "musicians" and have no reflection on the scene as a whole.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: belkide I like live mixing. You need bass guitar, rhythm guitar, drums, drunk vocalist, several marshalls and a dark smoky place, preferably underground, or in the industrial past of the city.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

There actually is an art to the old school DJs,I can see it being a labour of love to get good at it but it's not something I would ever want to invest time in

I would rather play keys and strings and play live music but I don't mind going to a club and having a good night out listening to this even when rock,metal,blues country is more my thing

Also I expect it's far easier to book a DJ rather than a band who can take up a lot of room even if their only a 3 piece

If the DJ just turns up with laptop and mackies I might as well just plug my phone into the PA and play audio as that's all he's doing

edit on 2-10-2016 by Whereismypassword because: Silly iPad

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
So; here is the thing.

I am a producer and I can both produce songs and also use digital DJ equipment efficiently when I want to.

The main question is; they produce the songs at home, and play them on the stage with minimal interactions. Many of them. So its just like a EQ plus mp3 player on stage. If they are more arrogant they even mix the songs end to end in the studio beforehand. Thats what I meant with MP3s. Let it be wav. or something else. Some does not even have the cables plugged to their decks. Well; people love to dance but, I think they are just paying to see the guy jumping on the stage behind the decks.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Analog (old) turntables are a piece of art and the real DJs who are using them; I really envy them. You are very right.

new topics

top topics

join