It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Massive Galaxy Made of 99.99 Percent Dark Matter !

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
I asked the question in a previous post :-
"What is the Universe expanding into"

Nothing exists outside the Universe. So it's not expanding "into" anything. The inside's just getting bigger.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Thanks Bedlam

I understand that science only goes by measurable observation
Though there are theory's there may be other Universes and dimensions we have not yet discovered
BUT ... Nothing has been observed thus far

Once we thought the whole of everything was our own Galaxy
Scientific advancement showed us something that was far from the case

I guess we have to run with what is proven if we are to be honest
Yet who knows what science will show us in years to come
Science loves to challenge itself and find answers in that respect

Hence theory's regarding dark matter and energy
Shows us somewthing other is at play because it is measurable

Sorry to ramble ... thinking out aloud

edit on 3-10-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
BUT ... Nothing has been observed thus far

That's sort of definitional. The whole jumping from one universe to another bit is the subject of science fiction or fantasy.

One day a LONG LONG time from now, maybe we can start observing superspace directly in some manner. But for now, pocket universes are the sort of thing you'd want to avoid at all costs.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It just keeps getting bigger
As the vicar said

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Or...... scientists have discovered a galaxy with not a lot in it!

Last I saw on a science oriented Tv programme, they were still trying to find / measure "Dark Matter", and had been at it at this particular site deep underground (one of many such labs around the world) for many years. As such, Dark Matter is still very much a "theory" and so far has not been captured / measured / studied in any meaningful way.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: micpsiIn other words, they have not confirmed that dark matter actually exists. Their observations have merely uncovered an anomaly, ONE of whose explanations is that the galaxy is composed of invisible dark matter.

That's a bit like The God of the Gaps...
edit on 3/10/16 by djz3ro because: The bad men made me make a deliberate mistake in my first draft, when they went away I fixed it...

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: micpsiIn other words, they have not confirmed that dark matter actually exists. Their observations have merely uncovered an anomaly, ONE of whose explanations is that the galaxy is composed of invisible dark matter.

That's a bit like The God of the Gaps...

???

How so?

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

Not entirely true, As i said before there are checks and measures that should all balance or make coherent sense. The best example of this is the colliding galaxy in the bullet cluster. You can look at the image and use lensing to map the matter distribution of that, and look at the stars and dust and compare. What you see is that the stars and dust are separate from the main matter concentrations, which means that the dark matter passed through and is only gravitationally interacting, there was no 'drag' or other interactions with the surrounding dust.

So what is causing the lensing?

There are other deconvolved lensing data which shows that foreground galaxies have very large and wide lobes of material around them and are not just constricted to the visible matter, in a way that is not explained unless there is something else.

So what causes that?

As for dark matter galaxies, you are right to say they discovered a galaxy with not a lot in it, but isn't that even more proof? they basically find a galaxy that has hardly any stars in it, hardly any regular dust.... and yet when they look at the galaxy rotation they still find that the stars are moving within the galaxy too quickly...

All points to something being not quite right.... Soooo Dark Matter being a theory is fine, but it is looking like a very good one... and to say its not been studied in a meaningful way is also... sadly short of the truth

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join