It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enjoy Earth While It Lasts: Atmospheric Carbon Levels Pass the Point of No Return

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

But now we really, really know we're in trouble. Scientist Ralph Keeling, who's in charge of the Scripps Institute for Oceanography's carbon dioxide monitoring program, wrote in a blog that "it already seems safe to conclude that we won’t be seeing a monthly value below 400 ppm this year—or ever again for the indefinite future." Similarly, NASA's chief climate scientist Gavin Schmidt told Climate Central, “In my opinion, we won’t ever see a month below 400 ppm.” Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is the "primary greenhouse gas that is contributing to recent climate change," according to the Environmental Protection Agency. NASA says that the planet's average surface temperature has warmed 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit since the Industrial Revolution, because of "increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere."

link to article.

This is much the same stuff we have heard from AGW proponents for a while now. And it may well be right on target. A few of the ATS heavyweights on this topic sure sound just like this.

But you as a human have the amazing ability to have free thought. You aren't forced to believe what you are told, you can do amazing things with your mind.

I choose to believe that AGW is not at all like the alarmists claim. I chose to believe that the Earth is much more resilient and our input, however ugly and disruptive it may be, could not effect the Earth on a planetary level as some would suggest. What do I base that on? A feeling. (I know, super credible right?) Knowing the alternative is to run around screaming and flailing, I'd prefer to just smile and go on with my world. Whatever the temperatures might be, I'll adjust as I do each season.

Some might ask, "but how can you ignore the proven science? How can you ignore the 99% or whatever amount of climate scientists that say were doomed?"

My answer "how can you not ignore them?" On a personal level, I could make changes to how I do things. I could stop driving anywhere, move to the inner city and reduce my carbon footprint. In doing so, I would make a monumentaly infinitesimally small contribution. So small that nobody would notice. At all. If we all did something, and by all, I mean every warm body that walks on two legs, could we make a noticeable difference? (If you believe the 99% who write articles like this, no, no we can't.)

So this becomes more of a way to keep yourself sane, and keep your mind healthy, than science and reality. If I'm right, the Earth will change, all the 99% of scientists will scratch their heads, make new models, and come up with more ideas to explain why the Earth does what it does. I like that idea.

If I'm wrong, we are all doomed and it's basically game over at some point. (I don't like that at all)

So in conclusion, I hope that we can all reduce our pollution, come up with real viable ways to energize our world without toxic byproducts, and become better stewards of our planet. Why? Because if I'm right, then the generations to come sure don't want to have to pick up after our messy asses. So as with camping, hiking, or generally doing anything in the wilderness, leave it better than you found it.

Have a nice day.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

We exhale carbon dioxide.

Should we stop breathing?

+33 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The earth will regenerate and will be here long after we're gone..
The real problem with this is greed.. We already have the tech somewhere to reduce these levels.. Problem is it doesn't make enough money.. And it doesn't fill the pockets of the greedy 1% elites..

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Wouldn't be a bad thing if certain people on this planet stopped breathing..
edit on 29/9/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

If you care about the Earth you would....

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

My environmental biology professor (one of my favorite professors I had, out of many) warned our class about this 2 years ago.

That's the article I shared earlier on the thread about Barium and Atmosphere/Weather. Thanks for making a thread about this network dude

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

lol awesome reply

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

So........did your prof point out that there's nothing that can be done to stop this?

And my question is.............if there's nothing that can be done to stop this............why talk about it?s

If you're on an airplane at 30,000' and all the engines burn out, and it starts to fall from the sky........are you going to do anything any good by .............talking about it?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

While I agree in that it's not as alarming as they proclaim it to be, it wouldn't hurt to take a few precautions.

I'm no doctor but if mine said cholesterol would kill me in five years if I didn't make dietary changes, while his timing may be wrong I'm delivered a choice.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to change to renewable energy, two birds one stone. Economy gets freed from oil slavery, and we're not pumping out more CO2.

All that being said I'm no scientist either, just an opinion with no evidence Haha.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Well at present the elite only care for a radioactive earth for a few more millenniums.

So who gives a crap about the polar bear floating on a shrinking ice berg when a nuclear heat wave takes him out along with the entire North Pole when the evil neocons hit the big smiley face red nuclear button ?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
But we have been recently told it's not so much CO2, it is Methane that is to blame for AGW. Industrial farming on the scale that we currently have cannot continue, therefore a tax on meat is required.

We pay taxes on our Carbon footprint, laughable I know, because if it really was that bad, they would just ban the use of fossil fuels surely?

Remeber when we were told that our Governments would invest in renewables and that technology would be the way forward to save Earth? Well Fracking is the way forward now, but don't worry, if they start Fracking in an area near you, you may be entitled to a nice little sweetner from your Government.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Flap your wings?

That's about all the scientists are doing, flapping their lips anyways.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I choose to believe that AGW is not at all like the alarmists claim. I chose to believe that the Earth is much more resilient and our input, however ugly and disruptive it may be, could not effect the Earth on a planetary level as some would suggest. What do I base that on? A feeling. (I know, super credible right?) Knowing the alternative is to run around screaming and flailing, I'd prefer to just smile and go on with my world. Whatever the temperatures might be, I'll adjust as I do each season.

Translation: "AGW isn't real because it feels better to stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist."

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

They are BOTH greenhouse gases so excess production of either gas contributes to it. Methane does break up naturally in the air though, so its effects aren't as long lasting though.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

We'll just head to our Masonic underground bunkers and live the good life while the World burns.

No worries here...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I thought fukashima was going to kill us all way sooner.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Translation: "AGW isn't real because it feels better to stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist."

If we're past the "point of no return", what difference does it make?

Eat, drink, and be merry. There's no longer any need for your damn laws and regulations.

Or are we not past the "point of no return"? Which scientists are you choosing to agree with today?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
As plants use CO 2 live, I think more CO 2 means more plant growth? more plant growth means more plant food? such as wheat, corn, potatoes, pears, apples, plums, tomatoes, walnuts, Brazil nuts, (which are actually seeds!) I think that's enough of a list, don't you?
More CO 2 than that during the dinosaur period, a damn great rock wiped them out, not CO 2.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You guys are spot on with the greed and money.
That's the whole ball of wax.
Natural planet warming was known in the early 70s.
That's when certain activities started that are now frequently discussed here on ATS today.
Major corporations manufacture all the components that are required for such operations.
Most of the boots on the ground always believed it was nothing more than spitting against a hurricane.
But at least it was something and the people on the left felt good about it.

Of course, starting WW3 and destroying a large part of the world's industry would also fix it, or so they say.
Yea, after about 200 years and all the fires and polluted skies cleared.
So you guys better dust off the old copies of Fallout 3 and start learning how to hunt for salvage.

Buck

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If we can supposedly come up with ways to alter and terraform mars to one day become habitable by humans, why is it impossible for us to come up with ways to fix things here on earth?

I think we spend too much time panicking and not enough time working on solutions.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join