It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As you get older it seems like it's hard to have fun...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm a bit perplexed.

Like I'm in my 40's and really life is just no fun anymore.

Like I was thinking about it today. Here's what I was thinking:

1-10 - Life is constant fun
11-20 - Mostly fun with stress creaping in
21-30 - Still a of fun but a lot of stress starting to appear
31-40 - Moments of fun mixed with boredom, stress, worry and problems
41 50 - Getting to the point where fun is non existant. Life is nothing but stress to the point where you where giving up could be a good thing.
50- 60 - What??? A struggle to survive? I don't know.

Like I'm not saying life should be all about fun. But serious, like half the time I have really nothing to live for. Like life seems to pointless.

And trust me, I've read all the motivation books, videos, audios etc. But it's still really hard to get all that excited about very much for very long. Like already life is nothing but an exercise in frustration half the time. And I know I maybe shouldn't be saying that.

But it's hard to just dismiss what life seems to be dealing you. And "hopefully things start to get better". And they will "get better soon". I keep telling myself that over and over again. And I keep trying but I'm just not happy anymore at all about very much.

I tend to think it's my age. Like in your 40's you slowly realize you're not really young anymore. And so what are you? Anyway I don't know where I'm even going with this. And I hate to throw it out there to you guys. I just was hoping I'd maybe get some advice that might help me because I'm really struggling. I think I'm possibly a bit bi-polar at times or something. I'm sort of an artistic type and based on everything I've read I know that I seem to live out my life on both emotional extreme plains, hi's and lows'. Not always but often.

But still life isn't even too bad right not in many respects but still I just can't seem to figure out any way to have fun anymore. I think I use to have fun doing online gaming. (video games). Even though they're an epic waste of your life, still anything that can bring some fun into my life I need it desperately. I just need something to keep me going at this point.

Any ideas you might have would be of great help. (*also sorry but I'm not gonna get on prescription drugs or go see any psychologist okay. I'm totally against all that. So please don't suggest anything of that nature. Thank you.)

Anyway, ya I just wish I could figure out my life to where it makes more sense, and I'm happy again.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

Wait! No! Lavatrance, is that you!?

Edit to add: It's totally you. Did you decide between camper van and pooping in a bucket yet?

Looks like you're still leaning towards camper van.
edit on 28-9-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Ohmygosh, I was thinking the exact same thing as I read this. High five!

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

High five!

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You need to try different stuff, have some new experiences, open up to new recreations and fun people. Im 45 and surf better than I ever have, play bass better and I never thought I would run a 5k, or a 10k and then never thought a half marathon, Im better than before, go for it. Just get some hair color and take off 10 years lol
edit on 28-9-2016 by beeeyotch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

You are your own master.

You make your own future.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Life is a LOT of fun ... if you're not acting like a downer.

And, yes, I am WAY older than you.

Find a hobby. Get out of your house. Do something ... anything.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
30's and 40's were stressful. Kids, jobs, life. Halfway through my 50's and it's good. I just have to think of my grandson and any bad day is good. Spending time with him? Better than Disneyland. Yes, I've been there.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

i can relate, as a person with struggles, and trauma...emotional discord, what not from almost being lost walking along the river...often times i question what is fun too...finding real friends that discuss similar interests in studies...is all i find joy in these days...whether any of us have note books, clip boards...or writing utensils...we are very happy just discussing things and striving for the comprehenshions of activities not explored...like the bacteria levels in water, algae...medicinal supplements..creating things with feathers and twigs...creating clothing and or blankets/quilts and other things like sharing recipies..or even discussing alchoholic beverages...like my favorite drinking well needs certain new items for making drinks and we sure do speak over that! i tried suggesting blueberry vodka or liquor and the bartender looked thoughtful...so i am keeping my fingers crossed as after a long day of activities, fun is just settling down to a relaxing drink and reading a local paper ...with restaurant suggestions for out of towners or locals out for some fun and food...music, kareoke and stand up comedy night!
i am currently striving for a great joke...and a buddy so far likes some of it and was actually smiling for once!
fun is not that much of a challenge...if you truly focus and gather strength for every day is a journey and life is not the blair witch movie..never mind ...hope all is well and you are feeling healthy and wise...plus abundantly joyful about how little things make getting through the day and night all the more meaningful...peace and prosperity my friend...

edit on 28-9-2016 by peppycat because: a littk of le airheaded from lack of air...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

its age catching up with intent...and the body not cooperating. Happens....My theory? Each year there is something from last year I try to do and cant...so I got this theory. Its not a unique one...but it works for me.

I keep moving everyday in a somewhat straight line. It may be slow and crooked...but I try and keep going. Some things are harder...but try new things...go new places...and stop n rest every once in awhile! You have a lot of life and new experiences to have. Ya gotta believe!

Now I gotta go and drink an Ensure and take my Geritol...we're going to 5 flea markets and a Renaissance Fair today!

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

edit on 28-9-2016 by bigpatato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ProgressBar

ya true

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Take the French approach and find a good lover to jump start you heart.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I seem to only attract dogs.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

your " lack of fun " is your problem - deal with it

i is still having fun - on a dailiy basis

i dont claim to have a stress free life - i has lots of problems - but still have fun

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I am about to turn 71 on Oct 5. The stress of my life has left me with ' don't give a crap'. Though I am concerned with what is left of this world for children and grandchildren.

That said, personally, I don't know why the hell I am still alive.

So i here what you are saying. We both need something to live for and to look forward to. That for me would be a significant other in my life.

Are you living alone? Or are you depressed? Or both?

Which ever, just my best wishes for you.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Wow, I've thought this almost exactly as you wrote. I'm 49 yo. Just so you know you're not alone.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

carry catnip on you

you will be so happy...
me, i have 17 cats and counting...fun fun fun!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I can relate. I feel a lot like you do. Best I can think is that we need a new approach altogether. So thats what Im beginning to do now, let go of my old habits and self definitions and see if i can find a new path. The old one isnt working for me now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join