It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Matthew

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It's a category 5 now, threatening Jamaica and Cuba

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Looks like the Cat5 designation was short lived.
Back to a Cat4...but I have read that these strong storms can wax and wane as they move forward.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ia reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Yes down to verry powerful cat 4 now with sustained winds of 155 mph. (Cat 5 is 157mph)
Its projected to hit Jamaica on Monday at a strength of Category 3.

Still the most powerful in a decade
edit on 1-10-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Yeah, you just knew that the lack of big storms in the Caribbean couldn't last forever.
Especially with the warm surface temperatures of the water.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Anyone still following this storm? If so any input about the blob to the right of the storm? Strange.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm still following it because I'm in the Florida Keys .....and am worried it will wobble west to me.....what blob are you talking about ?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
From my (limited) knowledge (that I got from being on the wrong side of Hermine), the right upper quadrant is usually the strongest part I think. I thought it looked weird on the radar also.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yes, the right side is the worst side and upper quadrant has most water and storm surge ...a reply to: ValentineWiggin

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Life and death situation in Haiti for those that couldn't make it to the bus stations.
MSM has a media blackout.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower
Life and death situation in Haiti for those that couldn't make it to the bus stations.
MSM has a media blackout.

Wow, media blackouts sure have changed
/sarc
www.google.com...

My personal interest in hurricanes has indeed waned -- I don't live in FL anymore, and this one isn't setting it's sights on the Gulf Coast where I lived for most of my life. But to try to say there's a media blackout is bulls#. I didn't have to type but 2 words & hit "enter" to find a massive return of news stories on it.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
12 hours no posts.
It may be another day before they can get ATV's out the peninsula for the body count.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
During the night the Storm has shifted left alittle bit more .....it's still a beast of a storm and now its sights are on Bahamas and coast of Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina ......lets hope it doesn't shift anymore...and that everyone in Haiti and Cuba are alive and safe

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
So here I am...again....staring down the barrel of a forty five...
Living in south east Virginia it happens.
It's been a very hot Sept. Warmer than Sept usually is even for here . I was swimming last week in the bay. I usually wont get in after labor day because the water is too cool. So the water was warm enough last week and there's Matthew . The water temp in the gulf stream has got to be a few degrees warmer than usual for this time of year too. I hope this storm starts losing some of its height soon because I don't think the water it's headed into is as cool as it usually should be this time of year.
I don't know if they measure surface temps of the water while they try to predict future strength of a storm.

A strong category one is the worst I've ever experienced though Floyd was a cat three on approach. That one I'd call a 1.7 almost a 2. When it got here. We had nineteen inches of rain.
Isabel was also a strong cat one. She came after a very wet summer. Ground saturation caused many trees to pull up right out of the ground taking power lines out from north Carolina all the way to Deleware. I could see the milky way at night it was so dark.

So Matthew please go away.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm in lower Florida keys ....last night about 11 pm ,it was dead hot air ....this morning around 5 am, there was a cool steady breeze . Oddly cold breeze from the North, and I assume it's the rotation of the storm pulling the northern air down ? ...right now it's 9 am and a few clouds, sort of breezy, 83 degree sun is shinning ....so far .....

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
If it sticks to the projected path, aren't too many places in FL that won't get at least TS level winds, if not Hurricane ones. At least it's slowed up some strength wise, but still a Cat 3 last I checked.

Pretty much kills my weekend plans (that start on Fri), as I have no desire to be driving to Orlando in hurricane force winds....

Luckily, we're already preppers, so we just pick up some last minute stuff...and I gassed up the truck fully this morning. Backup water and food is no worry, same with powerless lights and cooking, etc.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Completely screws my weekend plans. Was going to a convention in Orlando, but I'm not driving through hurricane force winds to get there.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Yea i live in Marathon and getting the same thing. Is actually nice right now. New tracking thinks it will circle back around.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: speeddr2000

My sister and my sister in law both have winter homes there.
They are both up north still. They usually go down in November. My sister has a caretaker looking after the property.
I'm not sure if my sister in law does too. She is in a gated community and has year rounders take care f the gardening clean up and stuff. They have hurricane shutters and it's a new house so hurricane ready.

Good luck. Are you staying?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: speeddr2000

Dennis did that here back in the nineties I think. Passed off the coast and gave us a tree cleaner then headed east and then south then came back around and rolled right over us. It was only a weak cat one but it spawned a few tornados .

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Im on Cudjoe ....we just got a quick rain shower ..I can hear the thunder booming off in the distance. Radar shows the storm leaving Cuba now....and will begin to be parallel to us about 9 pm tonight....and yeah I saw the prediction for it to curl back down south...that's not giving me the warm and fuzzier either !!! a reply to: speeddr2000

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join