It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New cell phone opinions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My wife and I have Samsung Galaxy 4s cell phones that are getting a bit long in the tooth.
Time to upgrade!
I'm looking for some opinions on new phones.
Apple or android?
Which models?
First hand experience?

We have had both apple and Samsung and we're happy with both.
What say you Ats?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This comment section is going to be 50 % filled with people saying Samsung, And the other 50 % saying apple, But truth be told, Both phones are exactly the same, There is nothing that one phone cant do over the other with the help of a few apps.

Right now Apple has the newest phone out so the specs will be better than the samsung, But that will change within 6 months when samsung releases their new phone, And then change again to apple 6 months after that and so on and so on......

just try a couple of phones you like in the store and pick whatever one you like best.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

I figured a fifty fifty thing would happen to.
I was just looking for some personal experiences

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
We have Samsung Galaxy 3. They work fine. Why do you feel compelled to upgrade? What does the 4 not do that a newer phone might? I'm not thinking the 3 is long on the tooth at all, much less a 4. Seems to do its job pretty well. No complaints.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've got a Galaxy S6 Edge and an iPhone 6 (work). I prefer the S6 myself. I've owned the Galaxy Slide, SII, S3 and S5 in the past and I will say I hated the Galaxy Slide so much I almost didn't go with another Galaxy model. Ended up liking the next two, skipped 4 and then my S5 was meh and the microphone kept cutting out.

The S6 has been by far the best. Screen is beautiful and tough. I don't use a case for it and I usually carry that phone in a front pocket and not a scratch. I actually dropped it coming down the steps to leave for the airport about a month ago and it fell maybe 7 feet or so and bounced off the pavers. The glass on the BACK cracked a little (it hit top corner) but the chassis was perfectly fine and the phone was otherwise unscathed.

This was the first Galaxy that had the heft and feel that makes the iPhone seem well built. The rapid charge is quick. Pictures are great. Video is great even in low light and the image stablization works like a champ. Overall, it's the best phone I've owned even if the whole "edge" thing is a gimmick.

The iPhone on the other hand is... an iPhone. My wife has had iPhones all along and to me, my iPhone 6 doesn't seem drastically different from the 5, 4S, etc she's owned in the past. Though, I've got something of anti-Apple bias so maybe I'm not the best to judge. I will say that the battery life is impressive even compared to the S6 which was great new and remains solid even after all these charge/discharge cycles.

I haven't owned an S7 but I've had a little hands on with an S7 Edge and it was extremely similar to the S6 Edge. It's also of course water resistant (and champagne resistant judging by the Lil Wayne commercials). I don't think you could go "wrong" with either of the two — there's a reason why they are the most popular brands/models.
edit on 2016-9-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Mostly condition. That and we bought the 16gb model and that's way to small.
Androids operating system take up 6gb itself.
My wife's phone has been very glitchy the last few months to.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I don't know much about phone. You may want to look at this thread before getting an iphone though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Lol, yeah I saw that.
People can be pretty dim.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yes they can be. It makes life funnier/more difficult for the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm looking at the Google nexus phones, myself- but not because of the phone itself. It's non removable (and inherently non upgradable) battery is a huge thorn in my ass.

The plan is what I'm after- google fi. Cheap phone plan that meets my needs, and I know a few people who are very happy with it. Only works with their phones.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I would pick Android. If you are tech savy or like to tinker, you can do so much with it, especially if it is "rooted". Plus most android phones have a removable battery which I think is a huge plus. Batteries can be cheap (5 dollars for my phone) and having a few spares charged up for a rainy day is a good thing IMO. Most Androids are way cheaper too.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Believe it or not-I don't have a cellphone. I had to use one for so long as a realtor that I love my freedom. I know it's like buying a car these days-it's expensive. They should have cell phone shows-like car shows-that would really help you decide.
Best wishes.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I would get a note 6, without the exploding battery.

If you are not very tech savvy, go with apple.

If you do any kind of business apps on it like docusign, excel, word, or even email, go with note 5 or 6.

Imo. Apple wants you to do what they want you to do with their phone. Just doesn't work for me.

Apple is a stable, locked-down and dumbed down product that is great for Fakebookers.

Not enough adaptability with Apple,
Edit,added... After using the note, and getting used to the stylus, I couldn't go for a edge now.

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: addddded to

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

this is a composite reply to all your posts in thread :

1 - back up all the data - and hard reset your wifes phone - then only restore stuff she uses - no apps that she hasnt used this year - if the phone still spazes out - it needs replacing

2 - buy 32 gb micro sd cards - and put all app data on them - the speed loss = negligable

3 - dont buuy a new phone - get your provider to give it to you - i has not bought a phone in over 18 years - i get the free optio at contract upgrade - i has no need to " keep in fashion " - my phone does what it has to - current samsumg galaxy A3 - a basic phone - but free - and only 16 quid a month with a good contract - free minites / text and data

thats it - why do people " need " the latest phones ?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

1, she wants a new phone and its all backed up.
2, she has an SD card and many apps will not run off the card.
3.we get our phones thru upgrade.

And last but not least, she wants a new damn phone.
When has a women needed more reason than that?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: ignorant_ape

And last but not least, she wants a new damn phone. When has a women needed more reason than that?

I want a new Corvette. You think the same technique will work for me?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have an s5 neo which I upgraded from iPhone 5 so I don't have any loyalty to either company and tend to view them both with an equal degree of disdain.

The main problem I've experienced with the iPhone was the battery life was seriously bad towards the 2nd year, I'm talking frustratingly-take-the-charger-everywhere-you-go bad. Main problem I have with the galaxy is the screen is ridiculously fragile and has cracked after falling maybe 6 inches onto a table...something the iPhone could've handled with no problem, I've never had a phone that was this flimsy and it's certainly not just me...theres at least 5 guys in my office that all have galaxy phones resembling a car windscreen after some kind of tragic hit and run accident.

Also I don't know if it's just the neo or Galaxy in general but the sound quality on calls ain't great. Both were prone to occasional freezing and restarts.
Both are pretty functional and useful though as far as the stuff you can do with em.

*edit* Oh yeah....as far as customer service when things go wrong; the apple store are hands down some of the worst I've ever experienced. They're great when there's commission to be made from selling you one...it's all yes sir, no sir, may I fondle your balls sir. But when it needs fixing they're as useful as tits on a football and I'd imagine medieval lepers were treated with more empathy and consideration. That is def something to bear in mind.

edit on 25-9-2016 by MagnaCarta2015 because: added info

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I want to get the Galaxy Note 7 and download the Hand Grenade app. You never know when you might need an IED.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I want to get the Galaxy Note 7 and download the Hand Grenade app. You never know when you might need an IED.

As I understand it no need to download it as that comes with the phone and goes off randomly. So don't stick it in your pocket.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think phones are disposable. I just don't feel the need for anything newer than Droid Ultra, an $80 phone. It is in fact my favourite, I had a Droid Turbo and a Turbo 2 and went back.

iPhone6 is a nice piece of kit, but I would break it. that's why I stick with phones I don't have to think nor worry about.

The 6+ would be the pick of the Apple line, imo.

(makes Droid sound)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join