It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear deterrents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hi ATS I hope this an OK forum to post in.

I'm from the UK so obviously I've never had to deal with bears. I've been trekking and hiking for the last 5 years mainly in Scotland and Wales. Me and my friend are planning to head to Canada next year or in 2018. The camping and living outside for a few days isn't the issues but we both know that in that part of the world bears are a factor

Now we have no way of getting our hands on a firearm when we get to Canada so therefore I have no interest in attempting or asking about firearms. I understand that I could use google and get many answers but I thought id ask the ATS community a few questions as sometimes to get some advise from people who have had experience in this subject

My questions are:
1. Do shops in Canada have products that we could buy as hikers that would help us warn off any approaching bear.

2. What is the best time to go hiking in bear territory. For example we wouldn't go in spring time due to bears having Cubs.
edit on 21-9-2016 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Umm hmmm. Not that you have to worry much unless you startle a bear, get between a mother and its cubs, or challenge one, appear threatening.

The safest way to move through Bear country is to make noise so they can hear you coming. If you suddenly encounter one, don't run. Don't make eye contact, keep them in sight but looking away, talk softly, 'hey bear, hey now,' as you back gently away. They aren't out to bother you either. Keeping your eyes on the trail ahead also helps to spot them before you come too close.

In case there is no other choice and you find yourself being close approached by a Bear for whatever reason, yes they do offer bear repellants in the form of noise makers like air horns and sprays like pepper spray to drive them off.

You shouldn't have any problem, the most wonderful thing you will ever see is a large land predator off in the distance going about its business.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr thanks Intrptr I have very slightly knowledge of bears one of them was what you said not to startle them which I have no intention of. I was more asking for input in case we did come across one.

I was asking in a 'what if scenario' what if we did come across a bear.

You say about making noise I've heard stories of people wearing bells around the legs which obviously will make noise when walking

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Ok... if you're heading to Canada, beware.. the Bears here are BRUTAL. You'll need to take extensive measures. Watch out for stray Deer and Moose as well. They've the habit of running through small towns, believe me i've encountered that twice. Ok and finally two left.... Sasquatch... Please don't feed him he'll follow you for miles and you dont want that trust me.. so take a box of Ritz and some fruit if possible, they like that. And finally OgoPogo, but only if you plan on going in the Water. If not forget that part.

All done! ok have fun and remember bug repellant!

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Ok i didnt address these.. so here you go....

My questions are:
1. Do shops in Canada have products that we could buy as hikers that would help us warn off any approaching bear.

I have no idea, but if you do a quick search depending on which province you plan on going you should easily find what you're looking for.

2. What is the best time to go hiking in bear territory. For example we wouldn't go in spring time due to bears having Cubs.

Ok i'd say Winter or early Spring, they hibernate during these months. You should be safe. Buy Bear Repellant just in case you awaken them, that's just being smart. Ok that's all.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10
Lol is deam any bear brutal and dangerous and as for moose and deer I'm aware of how strong those animals can be. Some of the stags I've encountered in Scotland look scary but luckily I viewed them from a distance.

Just for the record I have no intention of interacting with wildlife I'm there to observe, not to be a nuisance. I love and respect wildlife. As for a Sasquatch ... Do they not like beer? I was going being beer lol

Thanks for the reply

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Im around bears daily at work. (Northern Ontario Canada.) Here is a quick video I shot over the summer with my drone at work.

I carry bear spray everywhere i go at work. (Remote Mining Camp)
As long as you use common sense when hiking - If you see a bear approaching in the distance, make noise, yell, throw rocks towards it, stand tall with arms up.
As for your food, bears climb trees. So keep that in mind when you look for a safe spot for your food supply.

You can find bear mace at any hardware store, outdoors store, and places of the like.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

No worries, lol. btw The bears are pretty tame here. Way tamer than the Squirrels are in Wales according to a friend of mine.. In wales Squirrels attack cats, they're raving mad!

Black bears are tame, however Grizzlies, if you see one... run like hell!!! lol

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
a reply to: intrptr thanks Intrptr I have very slightly knowledge of bears one of them was what you said not to startle them which I have no intention of. I was more asking for input in case we did come across one.

I was asking in a 'what if scenario' what if we did come across a bear.

You say about making noise I've heard stories of people wearing bells around the legs which obviously will make noise when walking

That might startle them, or raise their curiosity. Their hearing is sufficient, if you just walk and talk a little loudly, they will hear you coming. Then you'll miss seeing them as they will leave rather than run into you, too.

Situational awareness.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Probably the best advice that you are going to get, better than from the stock-answer arm-chair expert, is to wait to make your inquiries to the folks that actually live in the area you will be visiting.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Wow are they that crazy there? In BC they're tame ... one followed me home and stayed for a week, we even drank Molsons together and watched Troy! ...

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Oh yes and by the way... Do Not Be Afraid Of Wolves. They won't hurt you unless you go after them.

Farley Mowat!!!! ok i'm done.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Here's a link that I think is quite informative.
Center for Wildlife

Good luck and have fun! Hope you take lots of pictures and come back and share them.

P.S. Whatever you do, DO NOT watch the movie Backcountry beforehand! I'm an avid hiker and it unsettled me and I am just here in the Southern Appalachian Plateau/Smoky Mountains of the US.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

the three ` core ` bear reppelants are :

1 - chemicals [ some variant of pepper // cs gas spray ]

2 - audio - horns // rattles etc etc

3 - pyrochtechnics - some sort of firework // flare [ for obvious reasons these are used almost exclusivly on the ice shelves of the artic ]

all will be readily availiable in canada

but as stated up thread - tradecraft is more important than equipment - you still need equipment - but tradecraft will mean you dont have to use it

if none of your party have any experience of bears - it might be prudent to hire a proffesional to take you on a 1/2 day induction ike or give you a lesson on the first day you are there - sure its going to cost money - but hey - your exped to canada is already rackung up the cost - and if you can avoid hving to use the bear reppelants - you buy - the cost of the training is partially recouped

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Wow TN!@!!! We keep running into each other, how awesome! Sistah!

are you stalking me lol

edit on 9/21/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I thought 8 hanging out together was a big deal, until i counted 11 yesterday at the dump!

Wish I had my drone on me at the time, or I would have had some great video of them

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Heres something thats pretty rare to see, a mother with 4 cubs in tow.

They all seem pretty healthy.

Depending on where you are going, the chances are you will be in Black Bear country. They are the least of your worries.
A few years back I was on a job in the arctic with an exploration company. We were warned about the Polar bears.

Now polar bears are cut from a different cloth altogether.
They will hunt you, follow you for miles upon miles. And when they find you, they will eat you.
edit on 21-9-2016 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I am a Canadian who camps in bear country on a regular basis.

There is a product called bear bangers.
It makes a shotgun sound and is VERY loud.
www.mec.ca...

Bear spray is also good if they get close...it will spray about 9 meters and you can get that at almost any outdoors shop.

Leave no food out when you sleep and if possible...set up another camp away from your camp for cooking and eating.

We also use bear barrels
www.wildernesssupply.ca...

Good luck in your travels.

edit on 21-9-2016 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

They're definitely healthy which is great. Black bears rarely if ever attack humans. It's the Grizzly's that attack ... mostly tourists, they leave Canucks alone they're smart that way

did you take that Vid?

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
All in all, with a little precaution, you will have nothing to worry about.
Be prepared to have your breath taken away at some of our scenery.
If in my neck of the woods ( Thunder Bay Ontario) drop me a message on here, I can show you some pretty amazing spots.

Here is a little raw footage I took for a tourism video for here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join