It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth That Success Is Unearned

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
And I earned it. I worked hard, I visualized, I said affirmations, I meditated, I planned, I created vision boards, I read positive books, I surrounded myself with positive people and kicked the negative people out of my life, I have been grateful for what I have now, but yet that doesn't mean I can't experience something else if I choose to. And I got my reps in. I worked hard and spend hours planning my businesses and researching things and working hard on all of my jobs and reading business books even when I just want to watch the Kardashians on TV! LOL

Did you though? I guarantee I can point out people who worked harder than you and got less of a reward from it.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

And I earned it. I worked hard, I visualized, I said affirmations, I meditated, I planned, I created vision boards, I read positive books, I surrounded myself with positive people and kicked the negative people out of my life, I have been grateful for what I have now, but yet that doesn't mean I can't experience something else if I choose to. And I got my reps in. I worked hard and spend hours planning my businesses and researching things and working hard on all of my jobs and reading business books even when I just want to watch the Kardashians on TV! LOL

Did you though? I guarantee I can point out people who worked harder than you and got less of a reward from it.

They didn't work the right way. It's that simple. They didn't do the correct things. Working hard is one part of the equation. It's complicated but you have to like/love what you do. You have to find your talent. You have to live outside of your comfort zone. You have to work 8-10 hours and then in your off time write business plans and research business and read business/self improvement/leadership/sales and management books. You have to create vision boards with your goals. YOu have to be willing to move and relocate and switch careers and save up some money for courses and classes. I bet those people you know didn't do any of that.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

They didn't work the right way. It's that simple. They didn't do the correct things. Working hard is one part of the equation. It's complicated but you have to like/love what you do. You have to find your talent. You have to live outside of your comfort zone. You have to work 8-10 hours and then in your off time write business plans and research business and read business/self improvement/leadership/sales and management books. You have to create vision boards with your goals. YOu have to be willing to move and relocate and switch careers and save up some money for courses and classes. I bet those people you know didn't do any of that.

I'm going to use a friend of mine as an example, he went to art school with me. Unlike me however, he's actually a talented artist. He completed school, and put in the time. While I went on the other schooling he went to get a job. Constantly putting out portfolio pieces, doing work for people, and so on. Eventually though, he wound up at part time minimum wage for the school he attended (he's actually not even a legal employee, because he's paid through a government grant for a student position) in a position where his skills are atrophying.

I could take myself too. Everything you mentioned I have done. I put in ~11 hours a day for schooling (including on weekends), and another 4 hours per day on personal projects. I have read a bunch of authors on success. I'm willing to move, etc... While there's a chance I'll be fine, because I've gotten some interesting internship offers, I'm still acutely aware that I haven't yet completed even the bare minimum job qualifications for the entry level positions regarding stuff I want to do and that even when I do going by employment rates I face what's statistically a ~70% chance of not being employed in my field and a ~30% chance of not being employed at all.

But, after all of that... lets say I find myself in the type of position I want to be in. Would it really be right to say I earned that success? I'm by far one of the worst people skill wise in my field. A business should flat out pick me dead last out of a pool of qualified candidates, and if they don't... they screwed up. If I succeed and one of my classmates doesn't, doesn't that imply that the world isn't a meritocracy? If it's not a meritocracy, then how can I correlate work and ability with success? Instead it looks to me like random chance, and random chance isn't earned.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I'm going to use a friend of mine as an example, he went to art school with me. Unlike me however, he's actually a talented artist. He completed school, and put in the time. While I went on the other schooling he went to get a job. Constantly putting out portfolio pieces, doing work for people, and so on. Eventually though, he wound up at part time minimum wage for the school he attended (he's actually not even a legal employee, because he's paid through a government grant for a student position) in a position where his skills are atrophying.

I could take myself too. Everything you mentioned I have done. I put in ~11 hours a day for schooling (including on weekends), and another 4 hours per day on personal projects. I have read a bunch of authors on success. I'm willing to move, etc... While there's a chance I'll be fine, because I've gotten some interesting internship offers, I'm still acutely aware that I haven't yet completed even the bare minimum job qualifications for the entry level positions regarding stuff I want to do and that even when I do going by employment rates I face what's statistically a ~70% chance of not being employed in my field and a ~30% chance of not being employed at all.

But, after all of that... lets say I find myself in the type of position I want to be in. Would it really be right to say I earned that success? I'm by far one of the worst people skill wise in my field. A business should flat out pick me dead last out of a pool of qualified candidates, and if they don't... they screwed up. If I succeed and one of my classmates doesn't, doesn't that imply that the world isn't a meritocracy? If it's not a meritocracy, then how can I correlate work and ability with success? Instead it looks to me like random chance, and random chance isn't earned.

Couple things your first example....he hasn't put his reps in yet. He hasn't put the time in. It could be a different talent for him as well....maybe his real passion isn't graphic design but comic book art or something along those lines. His career could still morph and change in different directions. For my current career I did it...it was amazing, but I quit and went back to the real world for several years, putting my reps in, trying different jobs and public service and scheeming to open a book store and all kinds of things until I finally moved to a different state, started up again in a different way, and opened my current business in a stlighly different way.

For you...It's not just talent and hard work that gets you the job. You may not be the best artist, but I gaurantee you that you have skills that others don't have, maybe it's people like working with you or you do your work in a way the aligns with what your boss likes. It's little things like that that make all the difference.

I'm actually not the best at what I do either. But I have a way with working with people, giving them what they need in a way that other people do not.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: nightbringr

Did you really tell your kids the big Santa lie?

How civil to lie to little kids. Teach them about a fairy fat man at thenorthpole that flies around in a sleigh with flying reindeer to give stuff to everyone, one day a year.

The biggest shock to little kids is the day they find out mom and dad been lying all that crap to them. Our first lesson in dishonesty and materialism. Our first big joke on kids.

Hail the god of consumption.

LOL, you're a really really sad insufferable person.

Does ATS have a block user option ?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Couple things your first example....he hasn't put his reps in yet.

He has though, he's held his current job without promotion, raise, or counter offer from another company for 4 years now. That's on top of 4 years of schooling, and before that 20 years of experience drawing. All told that's closing in on 30 years experience for a 36 year old... practically his entire life, shouldn't that be enough reps?

For you...It's not just talent and hard work that gets you the job. You may not be the best artist, but I gaurantee you that you have skills that others don't have, maybe it's people like working with you or you do your work in a way the aligns with what your boss likes. It's little things like that that make all the difference.

I'm not an artist though, I just had to learn the art pipeline for digital products and make the occasional edit. I would never bill myself as an artist, more a programmer (though programming is just part of it). Regardless, I'm not very talented at what I do. I'm not incapable, unlike most people in my position I have a long list of personal projects and even the occasional professional one. I'm just objectively bad at it.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

How civil to lie to little kids. Teach them about a fairy fat man at thenorthpole that flies around in a sleigh with flying reindeer to give stuff to everyone, one day a year.

The biggest shock to little kids is the day they find out mom and dad been lying all that crap to them. Our first lesson in dishonesty and materialism. Our first big joke on kids.

Thank you.

I feel horrible for any child who's parents feel they need to bring them up in a cold, dark world.

They will find that out soon enough once they grow up. No need to ruin their innocence.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr
I feel horrible for any child who's parents feel they need to bring them up in a cold, dark world.

Why? Is it somehow more kind to lie to them about the world, rather than to teach them about it?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Why? Is it somehow more kind to lie to them about the world, rather than to teach them about it?

You tell you kids Santa is a lie, death and destruction is the the way things are, and to live in fear.

I'll let them decide how to feel when they grow up and decide for themselves. You raise your children with fear if you like, i prefer love.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

He has though, he's held his current job without promotion, raise, or counter offer from another company for 4 years now. That's on top of 4 years of schooling, and before that 20 years of experience drawing. All told that's closing in on 30 years experience for a 36 year old... practically his entire life, shouldn't that be enough reps?

So that's just it. Does he have a linked in profile? Is he on Fivver? Does he have his own website where he sells his own graphic designs? Does he belong to any professional online forums? Why has he stayed on the same job for 4 years without promotion? He should have moved on...he should be putting out 20 resumes a day to every company on earth until he gets a better job...Does he have his passport ready incase he can get that job in New Zealand or Brazil or Candada or Belize? The reps he's doing are paying off but he needs to change up. Has he self published a book of his artwork. I write...does he want to do a comic adaptation of the novel I'm writing? Working hard isn't enough, he's got to change things. He probably doesn't have a vision board, he probably doesn't meditate every day, what is the last ten success books he's read?

This is why he's not successful.

And more importantly...what is his definition of success? Is it more money? Is it a new car, motorcycle, different city, country, living by the ocean, starting anon profit, getting married, starting his own business? Has he defined that? Is it the promotion? Can he do his bosses job? No, then he's not studying hard enough and doesn't deserve the promotion.

edit on 30-9-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

You tell you kids Santa is a lie, death and destruction is the the way things are, and to live in fear.

I'll let them decide how to feel when they grow up and decide for themselves. You raise your children with fear if you like, i prefer love.

Who said anything about death and destruction? I merely said, don't lie to them about there being some magic man who exists only to sate their desire for mindless consumption and reward them for behaving.

So that's just it. Does he have a linked in profile? Is he on Fivver? Does he have his own website where he sells his own graphic designs? Does he belong to any professional online forums? Why has he stayed on the same job for 4 years without promotion?

I have no idea what social networks he's on. He is on some professional forums though. The reason he has remained in his current job is that he's a paraplegic. That involves certain medical expenses such as catheters, either a company has to be willing to pay him full time, so that he makes enough to cover medical insurance to purchase them, or they have to pay him a low enough wage that he can continue on Medicaid. There is no inbetween. He has stayed on the current job, because they keep dangling making him a permanent rather than temp employee infront of him. If they were to do that, he would get medical insurance, but they don't because that would mean paying him, rather than illegally paying him from state grants meant for student employees (he works at a university).

He should have moved on...he should be putting out 20 resumes a day to every company on earth until he gets a better job...

He can't do that. He lives in a small town and family ties keep him there. On the one hand you can argue that it limits his potential... on the other hand I would argue that some success should be available no matter where you live.

And more importantly...what is his definition of success? Is it more money? Is it a new car, motorcycle, different city, country, living by the ocean, starting anon profit, getting married, starting his own business? Has he defined that? Is it the promotion? Can he do his bosses job? No, then he's not studying hard enough and doesn't deserve the promotion.

His definition would be being self sufficient. He doesn't care about money beyond that, like I said he's 36... statistically he'll be dead by 45 due to his injuries. Simply not being on public assistance for a few years is all he asks for, but apparently that's too much to ask. And yes, he can do his bosses job.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Your parents didn't do it to be mean to you, they did it because they care about you and wanted you to enjoy Christmas like other children. My god man, you must be one of the single most sensitive and fragile people alive.

And you're a good Roman. Hail Cesar.

My parents were mean to me for 'telling' the truth. Americans live in Disneyland.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

What are you even doing here? This is a conspiracy site. One of the biggest conspiracies to little kids is holiday BS about santa and the easter bunny. Two commercial holidays that have nothing to do with what they are supposed to be about.

Weight of opinion is in your corner, because everyone does it. They also go to zoos, circuses and Disneyland, watch TV, go to church, and get de-educated in school. Good primers for later in life when the news comes on and Uncle Sam says, I need you to go kill people in foreign lands. Endless wars and endless debt, do you have kids?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Mine taught me Christmas was for loving family and friends, giving to those we care about and cherishing the human spirit.

Uh huh, and you do that without a tree, presents and lights? As far as getting together and loving one another, can do that any time.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

On the one hand, having parents like mine who said that there not just wasn't a Santa, but that I'm delusional for thinking there's any being (especially magical) looking out for me removes some of the wonder from the world

Thats how the state destroys our belief in the spirit early on, they make up fantastical stories, kids buy it and then find out its all a lie. Like they will believe mom and dad, next time.

I used to get into arguments with family during Christmas, they would give me gifts and I wouldn't reciprocate, so they felt I was telling them to f off. I said my presence was enough of a gift.

I stopped playing christmas early, too. Feel the burn...

People are so deluded, and they'll defend their fantasies to the death. But its Christmas! Its Jesus, and stuff... lulz

conform, shop, consume...

edit on 1-10-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

What are you even doing here? This is a conspiracy site. One of the biggest conspiracies to little kids is holiday BS about santa and the easter bunny. Two commercial holidays that have nothing to do with what they are supposed to be about.

Weight of opinion is in your corner, because everyone does it. They also go to zoos, circuses and Disneyland, watch TV, go to church, and get de-educated in school. Good primers for later in life when the news comes on and Uncle Sam says, I need you to go kill people in foreign lands. Endless wars and endless debt, do you have kids?

You're seriously an insufferable crybaby.

And the conspiracy angle??? C'mon even you know that's a stretch

The funny thing is I mostly agree with you on every point. Except I don't cry about it or have a self-righteous pity-party for myself about all of my opinions.

Oh and my first thought at discovering Santa wasn't real, was appreciation at my parents doing more than I realized and not taking credit, not hatred and mistrust for them. I suspect your relationship wasn't great already if that was your reaction.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

The funny thing is I mostly agree with you on every point.

Without all the drama you mean?

Its the drama that made me question why they 'make' parents lie so much to their kids.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join