It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth That Success Is Unearned

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

We already have that? It's impossible to go without food or shelter in any city of any size at all, although it might not be the best food or nicest accommodations. A person has to want to ignore all the charities that provide food and shelter available in cities in the US.

Help coming from willing givers and not through forced taxation by the government seems far better to me and it has existed for a long while. We are a genuinely giving people. We don't need to be forced to support others, we do it because it's the right thing to do.

Having been homeless for a time maybe 30 or so years ago for a bit, I know how easy it is to find food and shelter if you want to. Those who slept outdoors, wanted it that way. Those who went hungry on the street preferred to spend their time looking for cheap alcohol or drugs and chose to go without. They all knew where the myriad of charities and churches who would gladly help were. They refused the help.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Odd? I think we are both in the US?

I know here I have a choice of products and can cast my vote for a companies products by buying it instead of another companies products?

Perhaps you need to look around a bit more?

You do understand the situation in the former Soviet Union I mentioned was a case where the government owned and controlled it all? No competition at all.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001
How come the major corporations under the Soviet Union could get away with putting out cheap low quality worthless products?

The Soviets actually had very high quality products, they didn't have a diverse range of products but what they made was solid. That's because they had major supply line issues, and as a result they didn't really have the materials to waste. When you can afford for something to break, it's not going to be engineered such that it never breaks.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

a reply to: 8675309jenny

Thats not what member was saying...

are you a slaver over someone, by any chance?

What?

Can you read?

I read you clear. You thought member was 'disrespecting slaves' when they laid it out perfectly...

Wrong.

Member stated that having to work to survive is SLAVERY.

That's a big goddamn slap in the face to people who lived and ARE LIVING under REAL SLAVERY.

Is there another language more native to you, in which I can spell it out more clearly?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: jacobe001
How come the major corporations under the Soviet Union could get away with putting out cheap low quality worthless products?

The Soviets actually had very high quality products,

Yes and no.

Some items were of quite good quality, but they were of basically 1940's quality. That is to say heavyweight, simple designs geared toward robustness and utilitarian value.

While Germany was always developing better materials and techniques to drastically increase auto and machine quality and performance at the same time, there was no incentive for that in the USSR. Their model was simple, reliable, just enough to serve it's purpose and last a long time.

This shot themselve in the foot though because they could not compete outside USSR and so destroyed many once-great companies that produced great products BEFORE the war. These same companies continued producing quality items under the USSR, but under dictated terms,and so innovation and design were castrated.

The exception is where is actually MATTERED to the Soviet Government: Military. Lots of Ukranian, Czech, and Hungarian expertise was put to good use in materials sciences developing loots of cool things with Titanium and lots of very advanced tech that an 80's kid like myself could hardly believe after the wall came down. Especially giventhe whole "HOORAH USA" mentality during the cold war.

This sort of history of industry is sort of a keen pet interest of mine, in case you're wondering.

edit on 26-9-2016 by 8675309jenny because: spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Is there another language more native to you, in which I can spell it out more clearly?

Yah the one were you don't condescend (that means talk down) to people.

One form, surely. See black slavery in America.

That's a big goddamn slap in the face to people who lived and ARE LIVING under REAL SLAVERY.

There are other forms, sexual slaves, for instance. What form are you suggesting is more 'real'?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Yah the one were you don't condescend (that means talk down) to people.

One form, surely. See black slavery in America.

There are other forms, sexual slaves, for instance. What form are you suggesting is more 'real'?

Do you understand the concept of work?

Are you trying to redefine the meaning of the word itself?

A HUMAN MUST WORK (apply effort) IN ORDER TO SUPPORT HIM/HERSELF

To call work SLAVERY is a disgusting disgusting perversion of the most basic tenets of freedom and self determination.

I don't care what "form" of slavery you are trying to make light of. REAL SLAVERY is being OWNED by another person, having no right to walk, north, south, east or west for as far as you can survive.

It's obvious what sort of silly nonsense you're trying to push here intrptr

People have to work to pay for anything they consume, or they have to produce(work) it for themselves.

The only way you get around expending effort to acquire things in life is if you lay down and die.

edit on 26-9-2016 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

To call work SLAVERY is a disgusting disgusting perversion of the most basic tenets of freedom and self determination.

Theres a different kind of slavery you left out. Indentured servitude, peasants, serfs, poor people with no means to , how did you put it, 'get a back pack and walk into the hills'?

Some people are stuck in impoverished conditions, there are no places to walk off to and start over, they got nothing except their meager meal ticket, are taken full advantage of to 'work' like slaves for nothing but sustenance. There are millions stuck in these places around the globe.

You must be either very young or live a very sheltered life.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Correct, we are living in a feudal system once again with lords and serfs. Unless you get a special help form the Lords you will always be a serf.

Fine by me.

My house is in my name if the person who loaned me the money fr it dies it is mine free and clear. We don't have much but we are alive and well I praise God for that every day. If I have to work five days a week to try and feed my family and pay the bills then so be it. If I don't get rich no problem. I have ideas and I can make it any where.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

Correct, we are living in a feudal system once again with lords and serfs. Unless you get a special help form the Lords you will always be a serf.

Fine by me.

My house is in my name if the person who loaned me the money fr it dies it is mine free and clear. We don't have much but we are alive and well I praise God for that every day. If I have to work five days a week to try and feed my family and pay the bills then so be it. If I don't get rich no problem. I have ideas and I can make it any where.

Try not paying property taxes on your house and see how long it remains yours.

Actually though, I think most people get it wrong. They have the idea that they want to provide for their family and build a sizable inheritance for their children. This thinking will ensure your family stays poor through the generations.

If you're serious about moving your family up the social class, you'll leave your children to fend for themselves, and possibly your grandchildren (depending on income), and build up a large trust fund for your descendants that can grow over 70-100 years. That's how you create generational wealth.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Theres a different kind of slavery you left out. Indentured servitude, peasants, serfs, poor people with no means to , how did you put it, 'get a back pack and walk into the hills'?

Some people are stuck in impoverished conditions, there are no places to walk off to and start over, they got nothing except their meager meal ticket, are taken full advantage of to 'work' like slaves for nothing but sustenance. There are millions stuck in these places around the globe.

You must be either very young or live a very sheltered life.

I'm neither young nor sheltered, I'm fairly successful, and despite being homeless after the financial crisis, I now run 2 moderately successful growing businesses, and I have made certain moves that ensure the next crash won't affect me nearly as much.

That probably has a lot to do with the fact that I realize how the world works and I can't change it or move to another planet, so I CHOOSE to make the most of the system we have.

You have a victim mentality. I used to have a victim mentality, but when you truly hit rock bottom, if you have any real sense and perspective, you look into yourself and you find where YOU failed. The world is always going to be what it is. The only thing an average person can change is HIMSELF in order to create a different outcome.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I used to have a victim mentality, but when you truly hit rock bottom, if you have any real sense and perspective, you look into yourself and you find where YOU failed

Depending on your version of success, mine is not supporting the status quo, on my little tiny "failure" level. I am willing to survive on bare minimums, so as not to pay for weapons of mass destruction used by my government (I mean pay tax). 'Poor' people don't have taxes, they don't have debt, they don't have bills, they have a clear conscience.

I'd much rather dive in a dumpster and recycle what Americans waste, thats more 'successful' to me than having any number of businesses, bank accounts or fancy things, let alone supporting the most rogue destructive state on the planet. I'd much rather be a part of the solution than a part of the problem.

Sleep tight.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I used to have a victim mentality, but when you truly hit rock bottom, if you have any real sense and perspective, you look into yourself and you find where YOU failed

Depending on your version of success, mine is not supporting the status quo, on my little tiny "failure" level. I am willing to survive on bare minimums, so as not to pay for weapons of mass destruction used by my government (I mean pay tax). 'Poor' people don't have taxes, they don't have debt, they don't have bills, they have a clear conscience.

I'd much rather dive in a dumpster and recycle what Americans waste, thats more 'successful' to me than having any number of businesses, bank accounts or fancy things, let alone supporting the most rogue destructive state on the planet. I'd much rather be a part of the solution than a part of the problem.

Sleep tight.

Very noble of you.

Some of us have families and are horrified at the thought of having to feed their children from dumpsters and tell them Santa Claus won't be coming to see them for Christmas. (Because her parents arent willing to 'be a part of the problem', as you put it.)

Yes, criminally avoiding paying taxes that pave roads, create infrastructure, and pay for social programs that among other things help feed and house the poor, is SO much better.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Did you really tell your kids the big Santa lie?

How civil to lie to little kids. Teach them about a fairy fat man at thenorthpole that flies around in a sleigh with flying reindeer to give stuff to everyone, one day a year.

The biggest shock to little kids is the day they find out mom and dad been lying all that crap to them. Our first lesson in dishonesty and materialism. Our first big joke on kids.

Hail the god of consumption.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

How civil to lie to little kids. Teach them about a fairy fat man at thenorthpole that flies around in a sleigh with flying reindeer to give stuff to everyone, one day a year.

The biggest shock to little kids is the day they find out mom and dad been lying all that crap to them. Our first lesson in dishonesty and materialism. Our first big joke on kids.

Hail the god of consumption.

Omg you must be SO sensitive!

I wouldn't trade in one of those magical mornings i woke up to find presents from Santa. Yes, eventually i found out he wasn't true, but i never once held it against my parents.

After all, they bought me wonderful presents and made many wonderful memories for me. I feel sad for your children.

And you are right. Tax fraud is SO much better than letting children believe in Santa.

edit on 30-9-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Tax fraud is SO much better than letting children believe in Santa.

You're dodging on your taxes? 'Poor' people don't have 'taxes'.

After all, they bought me wonderful presents and made many wonderful memories for me. I feel sad for your children.

My younger brother begged me for days to tell him the truth about Santa. He was four or five and I was three years older, already knowing... I kept it secret long as I could but he wouldn't relent... what drama, he was crying for days, really bummed by it. My parents were mad as hell at me for telling him. What a cruel joke to play on little kids. And the first big argument and trauma our parents bestowed upon us both.

The family trust was destroyed from that day forth. Because they kept pretending and we 'went along' to satiate them, and they taught us to love things, be materialistic, kill a tree avery year, wrap things in pretty paper and find eggs some bunny left, eat gobs of sugar on all souls day, put us on pedestals on our birthday, force us to go to church, etc, etc, blah blah...

you probably think all that is good for kids...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Tax fraud is SO much better than letting children believe in Santa.

You're dodging on your taxes? 'Poor' people don't have 'taxes'.

My younger brother begged me for days to tell him the truth about Santa. He was four or five and I was three years older, already knowing... I kept it secret long as I could but he wouldn't relent... what drama, he was crying for days, really bummed by it. My parents were mad as hell at me for telling him. What a cruel joke to play on little kids. And the first big argument and trauma our parents bestowed upon us both.

The family trust was destroyed from that day forth. Because they kept pretending and we 'went along' to satiate them, and they taught us to love things, be materialistic, kill a tree avery year, wrap things in pretty paper and find eggs some bunny left, eat gobs of sugar on all souls day, put us on pedestals on our birthday, force us to go to church, etc, etc, blah blah...

you probably think all that is good for kids...

Dear god, can you be more melodramatic?

Is wager 90% of people have GOOD memories about being young and Christmas. The fact one little white lie parents tell to make Christmas so magical for young kids destroyed your trust and relationship with your parents tells me a lot about your character.

Your parents didn't do it to be mean to you, they did it because they care about you and wanted you to enjoy Christmas like other children. My god man, you must be one of the single most sensitive and fragile people alive.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

And I'm sorry your parents were so terrible to you. *snicker*

Mine taught me Christmas was for loving family and friends, giving to those we care about and cherishing the human spirit.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
I'm neither young nor sheltered, I'm fairly successful, and despite being homeless after the financial crisis, I now run 2 moderately successful growing businesses, and I have made certain moves that ensure the next crash won't affect me nearly as much.

Congratulations, but for every successful person there are also unsuccessful ones. People can copy exactly what you did and not succeed. Which means you don't have a formula for success, you have something that worked for you. If what you did isn't repeatable though, how can you say it's earned? To me earned would imply a cause and effect relationship between effort and reward, but if others can put in the same effort without seeing a reward, how can you claim the effect of success is a result of your work? No offense, but people fail upwards all the time.

If I ever have children, I question what I'm going to tell them. On the one hand, having parents like mine who said that there not just wasn't a Santa, but that I'm delusional for thinking there's any being (especially magical) looking out for me removes some of the wonder from the world. But at the same time, I'm also against what is essentially the worship of consumerism, runaway consumption, and encouragement to buy things you don't need, especially when it's portrayed under the guise of being "for the sake of the children".

I used to get into arguments with family during Christmas, they would give me gifts and I wouldn't reciprocate, so they felt I was telling them to f off. I said my presence was enough of a gift. Eventually though they learned to accept my feelings on the matter. Holidays are for spending with family, not for buying a bunch of crap to distract us.
edit on 30-9-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Success is definitely earned and further, success can be had by all if you want it bad enough. You can either be average or obsessed and the obsessed are the ones that find success.

We all have things in our ways or obstacles or life issues...many successful people have...

been Orphans,
been disabled
been addicts and alcoholics
been felons
been victims of violent crime or rape
been from third world countries in Africa or the middle east or south america

But anyone can be successful and being successful means one thing... having what you want. That's it. That can be wealthy or being an artist or musician or martial arts instructor or living on a farm or on a mountain or in Hawaii.

What do you want?

For me it's having my own business, winning JiuJitsu tournaments, being wealthy, living in the country on lots of land and more...I want a new motorcycle. so I guess I'll buy one next week. That will be fun!

And I earned it. I worked hard, I visualized, I said affirmations, I meditated, I planned, I created vision boards, I read positive books, I surrounded myself with positive people and kicked the negative people out of my life, I have been grateful for what I have now, but yet that doesn't mean I can't experience something else if I choose to. And I got my reps in. I worked hard and spend hours planning my businesses and researching things and working hard on all of my jobs and reading business books even when I just want to watch the Kardashians on TV! LOL

edit on 30-9-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join