It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we have the current technology to build artificial mountains?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I just watched a science video comparing the tallest Earth mountains to the giant ones on Mars, and it made me wonder if humans wanted to, can we build mountains from scratch using our current tools; crane, tractor, planes, etc. And I don't mean hills, I mean huge mountains like everest and granite yosemite like mountain ranges.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Its called a landfill

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Richsac89

Have you heard of the Palm Islands in UAE? I'm sure with similar technology, and no ocean in the way, yes, mankind can create artificial mountains. And as dashen pointed out, the amount of waste we produce can easily create "mountains" of toxic waste and decay

Speaking of artificial islands, AND UAE, look what I found UAE Could Build Artificial Mountain to Encourage Rainfall

edit on 16-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I would say yes - we have been able to do that since we invented the wheel

Might have taken people centuries/millenia to do so but if you keep tipping rock and soil in the same place eventually it will make a mountain - take a look at the spoil heaps dotted all around mining areas - some of them are pretty huge.

Imagine if all the dirt from the Mirny mine (russia) had been heaped in one pile

"Mirny mine, is a former open pit diamond mine, now inactive, located in Mirny, Eastern Siberia, Russia. The mine is 525 meters (1,722 ft) deep (4th in the world) and has a diameter of 1,200 m (3,900 ft),[1] and is one of the largest excavated holes in the world."

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Step 1: take a mole hill

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

You;re talking about digging a pit. Its a lot easer to dig than to pile stuff up.

The pyramids are the biggest man made 'mountains' in the world. But hardly qualify as the OPs mountains "like Everest and Yosemite".

The answer to that is no.

They used to consider excavating with nuclear weapons and there are craters leftover. One was featured in the film Mulholland Falls .

Sedan Crater

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Not really i was just saying that every time we dig a pit we tend to make hills beside the pit.

www.wired.co.uk...

europe.newsweek.com... eu

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Called tailings piles (from mining), yah they may be extensive. But aren't individually much higher than a hundred feet. As high as the conveyers that make them. Your links discuss plans for making bigger 'mountains', but not realized yet.

The Pyramids are still the tallest 'pile' of stones, skyscrapers, lots higher.

Edit: My bad, heres a tailings 'mountain' from iron ore mining in the US.

Pasty

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

No it's not. The same excavators used for the dig use the same levers to deposit the material.
I levelled a large area of hillside this year using one machine, just as easy digging as depositing .

Of course a mountain would require a massive base circumference but it would not be any harder to dig than raise and firm down the material.

Never seen an old landfill site hill?
Same principle just scaled up. I sometimes think you make stuff up just so you can disagree.
In fact I'm convinced.

*Edit*
I see you effectively admitted above my post that you posted without actually any knowledge of excavation and the possibilities with many machines.
I'll ignore your initial uneducated comment now.
edit on 16.9.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

No it's not. The same excavators used for the dig use the same levers to deposit the material.
I levelled a large area of hillside this year using one machine, just as easy digging as depositing .

Of course a mountain would require a massive base circumference but it would not be any harder to dig than raise and firm down the material.

Never seen an old landfill site hill?
Same principle just scaled up.

You made a "Yosemite or Everest" with your machine?

Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I said scaled up...can you not read?
You already posted a link to a man made mountain let it go, you were wrong.
Don't make yourself look silly with childlike arguing methods.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
China has been making artificial islands by dumping concrete into coral reefs. These would be mountains in the ocean.

As for on land, we probably could but for what purpose? We prefer to build on level areas and if we did need a mountain for something there are more than enough here already to chose from.

They've probably removed enough earth from silicon valley to make a mountain out of it.

* If you mean one the size of Olympus Mons, from what I understand Earth's gravity is too high to allow mountains that big. The mass would get pulled down and melt into Earth's mantle.
edit on 9/16/16 by peskyhumans because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I said scaled up...can you not read?
You already posted a link to a man made mountain let it go, you were wrong.
Don't make yourself look silly with childlike arguing methods.

Not biting into your s*** , pick a fight with someone else.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The answer with absolute 100% certainty is yes.. We can do that.. It would take many decades with current machinery but we can do it..

And just to add, it would be done with dozers (machinery that pushes mud)
edit on 16/9/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

No fight fella, you had the opinion it couldn't be done and you were wrong...I'm just providing a retort so nobody believes your silly initial assertions.

I couldn't give a toss if you reply to me or not, I was just calling out your bull# for what it was lol.

Yes, with enough money, machines, and a large enough ground footprint a mountain can be built. Easily.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

They've probably removed enough earth from silicon valley to make a mountain out of it.

Actually they been paving it over as long as I been here. The valley floor is increasingly covered in concrete quarried from a place on the western rim called Permanente. Theres some industrial pit making going on there...

image search

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Actually they been paving it over as long as I been here. The valley floor is increasingly covered in concrete quarried from a place on the western rim called Permanente. Theres some industrial pit making going on there...

image search

Oh alright. I thought there was this huge gigantic strip mine with huge gigantic tractors that are specially built for just this one strip mine in the valley. I remember seeing it on TV, and you can't find tractors this big anywhere else. Or something like that.

picture

That's a coal truck, but if I remember right, they sort of looked like that. They would pile earth into these huge trucks and they would drive up a spiral around the outside of the strip mine to take the earth out.
edit on 9/16/16 by peskyhumans because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm sure we could pile up enough dirt & rocks to make a real mountain if we wanted to. But given the massive amount of time, effort, and money it would take, I can't imagine why we would.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The pit mines they dig are for ores or coal like your image. Biggest operations on earth. But not to make the biggest mountains on earth, to remove and process the ore... not produce:

And I don't mean hills, I mean huge mountains like everest and granite yosemite like mountain ranges.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

The white pyramid of china was one about a thousand feet tall, probably made by hand, as far as I know it has to be two thousand foot tall to be classified as a mountain but for me that is mountain enough.
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

We could and perhap's we have in the past even without modern machinary, the Egyptian pyramid's though are technically the finest example but that is without knowing the engineering behind these ancient Chinese structure's.

This guy is somewhat controversial due to his theory but it is interesting.

edit on 16-9-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join