It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nationwide Prison Strike Launches in 24 States and 40 Facilities over Conditions & Forced Labor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
What ever happened to breaking big rocks into little rocks all day long, just because? They didn't make songs about chain gangs for nothing.

Because it doesn't work.

US reoffending rates ate sky high while other countrys that focus on rehabilitation are low.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
a reply to: crazyewok

Most conservative types have zero interest in rehabilitating criminals.

They just prefer to have them re offend until they die in prison or get the death penalty.

Then harp on about how the system is perfect and they just squandered their opportunities in life and deserved worse than they got.

Im hardly a libral.

But I can see what we have now is not working and there are better systems.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
I have the solution:

1) for the riots and strikes - they are prisoners in prison, lock them down in their cells and restrict them to bread and water for a period of three months (all they really need), at the end of the three months most will be begging for the opportunity to work.

2) for the prisoners's conditions - don't get put in prison. I know it is a novel concept, but when you commit the crime, you are forgoing your rights to all these privileges you are demanding.

I know, everyone is going to say that they are people too. Yes but they are people who were put in prison to be punished not coddled.

The better argument some will make will be that not all of the people in are guilty. Well, sadly this is true, but they were all convicted by a jury of their peers . . . and under the current system that is the best we can do. Hopefully, those that were wrongly convicted will have the best lawyers to help rectify the situation.

peace

I agree and then some.

Most people in prison committed a number of crimes before they were actually properly prosecuted and incarcerated.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I know, everyone is going to say that they are people too. Yes but they are people who were put in prison to be punished not coddled.

peace

We have a higher rate of imprisonment than North Korea and have the most prisoners in the world, by far. We lead the world on both stats.

Most of our prisoners are certainly not in prison to be punished. They're in prison so that various people like cops and the DEA can have jobs or so that established institutions and companies can make money.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Most conservative types have zero interest in rehabilitating criminals.

They just prefer to have them re offend until they die in prison or get the death penalty.

Then harp on about how the system is perfect and they just squandered their opportunities in life and deserved worse than they got.

Most liberals are for slap on the wrist sentences and vacation resort stays but they still don't want them living next to them when they get out.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

I have the solution:

1) for the riots and strikes - they are prisoners in prison, lock them down in their cells and restrict them to bread and water for a period of three months (all they really need), at the end of the three months most will be begging for the opportunity to work.

2) for the prisoners's conditions - don't get put in prison. I know it is a novel concept, but when you commit the crime, you are forgoing your rights to all these privileges you are demanding.

The better argument some will make will be that not all of the people in are guilty. Well, sadly this is true, but they were all convicted by a jury of their peers . . . and under the current system that is the best we can do. Hopefully, those that were wrongly convicted will have the best lawyers to help rectify the situation.

peace

I agree and then some.

Most people in prison committed a number of crimes before they were actually properly prosecuted and incarcerated.

You sound like someone in North Korea defending their justice system.. just lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Except that harsh treatment that soly revolves around punishment doesnt solve anything. What are reoffending rates? 60-70%? Prison is not much good is it if most end up back there? Look at countrys like Denmark and Norway that focus on rehabilitaion. There reoffending rates a rock bottom. There prisons work. Now for muderers, rapists and pedophiles. Lock the bastards away in dungeons and throw away the key as they shouldnt be allowed out ever anyway so rehabilitation to me is not a issue. But for other crimes? Clearly the current system of punishment does not work.

You missed the entire point. The point was to take away all their special privileges that they get for a short period (3 months) so that they would realize they are being punished for what they did not rewarded. They are not at the holiday inn even though many of them think they are.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

We have a higher rate of imprisonment than North Korea and have the most prisoners in the world, by far. We lead the world on both stats.

That is more a problem with the laws than the system. Call your congressman and senator and have them decriminalize all the asinine drug laws. Also it is because America is much less harsh than many countries. In America you go to jail for 3-6 months for what in other countries you would be whipped or have a body-part removed and then set free. Or in America you sit in jail for 30 yrs to life when you would be executed immediately elsewhere (and even get to serve 40 yrs while waiting on execution in America while you get appeals that are not offered elsewhere. So, yes the prison system is overcrowded. How would you propose to fix it?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

how about starting with building group homes for mentally ill people and homes for the homeless. Jail is a viable option when you are cold and starving.

Police should not have to deal with mental illness.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

That is more a problem with the laws than the system. Call your congressman and senator and have them decriminalize all the asinine drug laws. Also it is because America is much less harsh than many countries. In America you go to jail for 3-6 months for what in other countries you would be whipped or have a body-part removed and then set free. Or in America you sit in jail for 30 yrs to life when you would be executed immediately elsewhere (and even get to serve 40 yrs while waiting on execution in America while you get appeals that are not offered elsewhere. So, yes the prison system is overcrowded. How would you propose to fix it?

It's definitely the system too. I've been arrested for drunk in public in the US and foreigners automatically assume that I'm an alcoholic degenerate.. not realizing how easy it is to get arrested here. They can't comprehend that you can arrested for just walking around drunk not bothering anyone and we think that's normal.
edit on 9/9/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
These morons better get to work. These dirtbags had plants we don't like and violate traffic laws without paying the penalty fees that were decreed by the king.

Some of them didn't even pay their taxes and those are the worst kinds of criminals that endanger our childrens minds with their ideas of anarchy and Satanism.

Infected minds and I'll even go as far to say that they are children of the devil himself, fallen angels.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

How dare you support the Satanic doctrine of freely being able to get drunk and walk home. It violates not only our laws but our sanctity and we are a nation of perfect people who must portray an image of decency and success to the rest of the world so we can continue spreading Democracy to the savages around the world who are living in the stone ages.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

You are the only person in this thread making any sense.

These mini-devils are products of evil. They deserve the worst punishment mankind can think of for their minor discretion's against our perfect system of laws and justice.

How dare anyone even question this system set forth for us by god almighty himself.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I would have to agree that many criminals thrive within our justice punishment system, thus the over crowding. Many don't fear repercussions, going to jail is considered a badge of honor. They don't fear real punishment. Certainly, I could get on board with harsher punishments for lesser served time. True, in the beginning it may seem harsh but in the long run...there would be less criminals due to no perceived reward. In reducing the costs of imprisonment, America may find the funds to actually assist the mentally ill or homeless of the future.

Edit add: though...I really do have pause on barbaric measures of cutting off human body parts! Extreme work that will make them appreciate a simpler freer job outside...even serving hamburgers with a smile at McDonalds will seem like heaven!
edit on 9 9 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
People go to prison for a reason. A few innocent sure but the conditions in prision are far better than at a nursing home. Free room and board paid for by the people...

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

They can't comprehend that you can arrested for just walking around drunk not bothering anyone and we think that's normal.

As a former cop (small towns only), I can say that most of those I only brought home. Now, the disorderly ones . . . that was a different subject.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

They can't comprehend that you can arrested for just walking around drunk not bothering anyone and we think that's normal.

As a former cop (small towns only), I can say that most of those I only brought home. Now, the disorderly ones . . . that was a different subject.

Individuals personal responsibility. My grandpa received many rides too. A girlfriend of mine always ended up in jail. The difference was attitudes. Grandpa admitted he was walking home cause he drunk too much to drive. They would make sure he made it home safely. Girlfriend was always so argumentative when drunk and would just start yelling about rights, argumentive, and being belligerent! Sigh. Personal choices always create different results in every interaction with others. Everyone makes mistakes or bad choices...the ones who recognize that in themselves...don't make the same mistake again.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Slave labor?

I suspect most of these people are there because they have never done a day of hard, honest work in their life.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon

originally posted by: 123143

I have the solution:

peace

I agree and then some.

You sound like someone in North Korea defending their justice system.. just lol.

No, I spent my career dealing with criminals.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

All the while holding shares/equity in the private prison system.
I don't have the answers but treating prisoners bad only fuels the chips on their shoulders..right, wrong, or indifferent.
They likely will come out worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join