It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad is caffeine?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Long story short, I've been drinking a more coffee than I ever have before now that it's available, mainly for free, almost every day for the past month. I used to drink maybe a cup or two a week, and that's been moved to a cup or two a day for a month now, with the first few weeks at my new job getting up to even 4 cups of coffee. I even accidentally drank a macchiato (I didn't know that's 2 espresso shots) and was off the walls for hours until I crashed and could barely move. Ironically, I slept very well that night hahaha. Something's that changed after I started drinking it so much were that I got my period a week late (33 instead of 25-26 days); I couldn't sleep for up to 4 days at a time (no more than 1-2 hours a night or between days, if at all) and felt very sick because of that; My memory has been terrible (I forget what I'm saying mid-sentence, what I'm doing, where I'm going or even where I am when I'm on familiar roads I've driven on thousands of times). I'm wondering if the caffeine has thrown my body off balance? I've decided to stop drinking it all together and going back to regular black, green and chamomile tea's.
edit on 8-9-2016 by oblivvious because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2016 by oblivvious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Different things will effect different people differently.

I drink gallons of straight black coffee, doesn't bother me at all. I know folks who turn into the Tasmanian Devil with one cup and others who have to run straight to the bathroom right after a cup.

It all depends.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Drink in the morning. And only fresh ground beans. Very soothing. Drinking it in the evening will screw you up. I use to never drink it but once I started grinding my own beans I understood the meaning of a good cup of coffee. It's so smooth I add nothing, just drink it black. I use Weavers organic beans. My grinder is this little cheap Epica brand, very small but will grind the hell out of anything. Think I paid $20 for it.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

That's true.. I might be a little crazy, though, so I'm always wondering what's doing what to my body

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

I've stopped drinking coffee after 12pm ! Already sleeping better. I love fresh ground coffee, I go to the café nearby to get it when I get the chance.. nothing like fresh coffee

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

edit on 8-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I recently read that there's a specific gene in our DNA that determines how quickly our bodies metabolize coffee. If it metabolizes quickly, you need less to feel the effects. You may have been overdoing it, still having the caffiene in you even after it mostly wears off, imo, but I'm no doctor, just speculating lol.

We're you getting headaches and nauseous after you stopped drinking it? If so, you might be having caffeine withdrawal symptons. I used to be big on energy drinks and if I went a day without one, I'd get a random migraine sometimes. I stopped drinking them and I do feel like I have a better grasp on my memory and thoughts as of late.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

i love almonds.. maybe it is them
lol

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: oblivvious
a reply to: LifeMode

I've stopped drinking coffee after 12pm ! Already sleeping better. I love fresh ground coffee, I go to the café nearby to get it when I get the chance.. nothing like fresh coffee

If one is not drinking fresh ground beans they do not understand coffee or have never had a real cup of coffee. It's smooth like silk. No bitterness.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Coffee is the nectar of life...

I'm a coffee addict. I've pretty much been drinking 3-5 cups in the morning for the past 20 years. I honestly don't even think it is caffeine, but just the act of having a cup of coffee.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: oblivvious

The small amount of caffeine that you are taking should not have such a great effect.

If you think caffeine or the sweetener is the cause, then abstaining would be recommendable and harmless.

Has your mood been more energetic and upbeat when you were having the sleeping difficulties? Do you feel tired, or not, when you can't sleep?

I'm no expert but the late period could be due to sleep deprivation and the sleep deprivation and bouts of confusion could be mild bipolar symptoms (about 20% of people who complain of depression are actually bipolar, so don't take it too negatively, there's a lot of it around).

The headaches and nausea may be migraines.

So it could be multiple symptoms from multiple sources, but...

The memory loss, though, is serious enough to warrant some investigation.

Taken together, the symptoms could suggest you may have something serious starting. Don't let it get worse, be proactive.

Also, get a second opinion - always!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I have family members who will drink 6 cups a day and not react the way I have, if at all - it just get's them through the day. I noticed that when they're particularly stressed, a cup of coffee appears in their hands lol

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thank you for the response! I'm going to go back to my doctor in a few weeks and speak about what's been happening. Bipolar, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety - that and much more run in my family. We'll see!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Caffeine...good.

Day without caffeine...very, very bad.

Nuff said.

(T.M.I. about your . )

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Or...she could be experiencing :

Are you Experiencing Advanced Energy Shift Symptoms?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Too much information about my period?

I think that's just a personal issue with you, because every single female has a menstrual cycle.. That's billions of women. Me talking about it being late? Not TMI hahah

but YES a day with no caffeine is terrible!! also, thanks for the link!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Medically speaking? I can only think of the main effect-primarily. Constricts (shrinks) the blood vessels.

MS
Advanced Life Support

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Here an add to my one liner above.

20 Harmful Effects of Caffeine

www.caffeineinformer.com/harmful-effect

Harmful effects of caffeine are often hard to find. Here are 20+ studies that concluded that caffeine could be potentially dangerous to one's health...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Caffeine is "the devils sweat"!

Caffeine is like anything else.

Great in small doses.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join