It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities to build up at Standing Rock for Friday federal ruling; National Guard is an option

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Extra law enforcement is being brought in from across the state of North Dakota in anticipation of a federal court ruling that will allow construction on the pipeline to continue. The governor has said the National Guard is an option.

The protectors camp of nearly 7,000 Natives and non-Native supporters is growing with a constant stream of people from across the country arriving by the car loads. Overflow camps have been set up nearby to the original camp.

The people who are standing with Standing Rock say they will not leave no matter what!

“We are preparing and planning for all scenarios that may occur in response to the federal court ruling,” the Morton County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement, which didn’t detail how many officers were being added or what their plan is should the ruling allow construction to continue.

Standing Rock Sioux Chairman David Archambault II said he is not concerned with the additional law enforcement presence at the site of the protest, where thousands have camped out for weeks, and that the judge’s ruling will not stop the protest either way.

“This is not going to be over on this one day, whether he rules in our favor or the company’s favor,” Archambault said. “Both sides will appeal so this will not be over.”

Authrorities to build up presence before Friday's ruling

Most likely nothing will happen yet because as Archambault says, either side will appeal and a federal judge will continue the halt of construction. If a federal judge doesn't continue the halt, then things will get dicey rather quickly. I think both sides are prepared for whatever may come.

Thing is, it may not happen on this day, but eventually, if the Natives should lose this case, I hate to think about what might happen because I know they aren't leaving without a fight. They have too much at stake, have invested too much into taking this stand and they have over 200 tribes standing with them.

#StandwithStandingRock

#NoDAPL

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Of COURSE the courts are going to rule in favor of the continuation of its construction . It's always about the money... Corporations are calling the shots.

Just like with Wall Street and the exploitation of our economic resources. People who get upset and protest will be dealt with swiftly, while the real criminals get rich and profit off of the destruction and from taking advantage of the hardworking people (or the lands they cherish in this case).

Despicable...

edit on 7-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Geting scary.

I wouldn't be accepting any donated sleeping bags, that's for sure

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Thank you for bringing attention to this Rezlooper!

The apathy and ignorance of Americans when it comes to the continuing genocide of the Native Americans is appalling.

This could be one of the last stands that the our Native American brothers and sisters can take and we can only hope the numbers swell.

The best thing that could happen is for there to be as many live stream alternative journalists as we saw during the Ferguson protests.

We Americans have continued to fail in ending the horrific abuse the Natives are continually subjected to, if we could have the world watch and protest perhaps change could happen and the end of our corporate rape of this beautiful land may be on the horizon.

edit on America/ChicagoWednesdayAmerica/Chicago09America/Chicago930pmWednesday9 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Keeping these protesters in my prayers.. the possible outcomes of this involving bloodshed are horrifying to consider. I hope it doesn't come to that

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Geting scary.

I wouldn't be accepting any donated sleeping bags, that's for sure

Reminds me of a discussion I just had today with a tribal leader from my Rez. He said there is no doubt that of those thousands of people pouring into the camps, the US government is planting intelligence through spies. I had never thought of that, but I don't doubt it now.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Despicable indeed, Fam. My great- grandmother on my mom's side was Cherokee and I support the Nations. This is jacked up on so many fronts.
edit on 7-9-2016 by JimiBlack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Yep, they will probably plant a few tomohawk throwers like ferguson.

You will know who they are, when they show up with hatchets from Lowes.

ATS needs to get some boots on the ground

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I know, right?? Smallpox, anyone? Star, my friend.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Yep, they will probably plant a few tomohawk throwers like ferguson.

You will know who they are, when they show up with hatchets from Lowes.

ATS needs to get some boots on the ground

Some of those at the camp right now think the incident on Saturday was set up by the oil company to try and make the protesters look bad and try to paint them as violent.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Very nice to see you post a thread...and a great one at that!!

I am 1000% against this theft of Native lands once again!

Are all tribes coming to the protest camp?
It would help immensely.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Of COURSE the courts are going to rule in favor of the continuation of its construction . It's always about the money... Corporations are calling the shots.

Just like with Wall Street and the exploitation of our economic resources. People who get upset and protest will be dealt with swiftly, while the real criminals get rich and profit off of the destruction and from taking advantage of the hardworking people (or the lands they cherish in this case).

Despicable...

This is why it is so important for the Natives to continue to have more and more of their people show up their in solidarity. Basically it is all over Facebook right now as a "call to action" for more people to come there and stand with them. If the number continues to grow well into the thousands as it already is... how can the government deal with this situation. What could it become? Will Obama put a stop to it before it comes to that?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The more people there the harder it is for "use of force" to be employed.

Our Govt may be as dumb as a sack of rocks, but the visual of a mini-vietnam conflict right before the election, or even after of us killing MORE Natives after keeping them in abject poverty for all these years just gets them nothing. There is no political capital to be had.

You can only "cater" to big business till their actions have serious negative blow back on you, then it's all bets off.

I'm surprised no ones stomped on the local sheriff for escalating this.
The Native Nations having sovereignty means it's a hands-off by the State or local's in having any authority to decide anything. The "Play book" will come from the Feds and they have been strangely quiet.

Some higher up will be reaming this Sheriff out big time, and rightly so, as well as the Governor for "Overstepping".

I don't mean to sound cold, but the more people that show up, Native and Non-Native will make this too messy for
The Feds to want to touch. It's how things work. That alone is good for the protestors.

One thing no ones done is get some folks with private aircraft in there.
The Protestors need their own eye's in the skies.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

yep. That's what I was thinking. No way they can go in there guns a blazing against thousands of protesters who remain peaceful with the world watching. That's why this should seriously be interesting how it plays out. What will Obama do if the courts rule in favor of the oil company?

Maybe, the courts know the only way to stop this is to rule in favor for the tribes and they win in the end.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

Very nice to see you post a thread...and a great one at that!!

Are all tribes coming to the protest camp?
It would help immensely.

Currently there are over 200 tribes with flags raised at the Sacred Stone Camp. Over 200 tribes with people there for the long haul. These flags fly on both sides of the road coming into camp.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
a reply to: Caver78

yep. That's what I was thinking. No way they can go in there guns a blazing against thousands of protesters who remain peaceful with the world watching. That's why this should seriously be interesting how it plays out. What will Obama do if the courts rule in favor of the oil company?

Maybe, the courts know the only way to stop this is to rule in favor for the tribes and they win in the end.

The Army Corp of Engineers already has admitted they didn't have the permits.
So any further action by the oil company contractors is illegal.

Obama isn't going to touch this with a 10 ft pole. He's a few months from a very lucrative private life and no way anything is going to mess that up. He'll leave it for the next President, or the Dept of the Interior, or the State Dept.

It's going to have to wind it's way thru numerous courts and the EPA.

Minnesota just won their pipeline case and shut it down based on saving the water and environment, so now there is precedent for the Judges to look at. This is VERY favorable for the Dakota Protestors!!!

Thank you for being our "Boot's on the Ground"!!!

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

Manoomin Win: Enbridge Inc. Officially Shelves Sandpiper Pipeline; Ojibwe Wild Rice Waters Safe

ICTMN Staff
9/3/16
Enbridge Inc. has officially dropped its bid to build the $900 million Sandpiper oil pipeline, which would have crossed through Ojibwe wild rice lands.

The company said on September 1 that it was withdrawing its applications from the Minnesota Public Utilities after determining that “the project should be delayed until such time as crude oil production in North Dakota recovers sufficiently to support development of new pipeline capacity,” the company said in a statement on September 1.

The announcement came a month after the energy conglomerate revealed that it had bought a stake in the Dakota Access pipeline project, which is being opposed all along its four-state route.

Read more at indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...
< br />

edit on 7-9-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

A gathering of Nations...

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Im also part Native, and this is very close to my heart. Thank you for keeping us posted. This Gathering of First Nation People is causing them to organize, and this is going to blow up in the Govts face. If I wasnt taking care of my 90 yr old mom with dementia, I would be there.

If anyone is interested in supporting the Natives here is a link to what they need: sacredstonecamp.org...
edit on 7-9-2016 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2016 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I'm curious about this statement. I see this coming from many other people besides yourself. Are you all totally against the taking of land from others or just the "native Americans"? If so, none of us should be allowed to call any nation "ours". Tribes, clans, nations are conquered. Those who win the war claim the spoils. Should we all just pack up and head back to our home lands? That sounds impossible since every inch of land has belonged to someone else before the "natives" called it home.
Not that what your saying is wrong or bad, but your statement brings a serious issue with it. I guess what I'm saying is, were "native Americans" always here, from the beginning of time?
What is happening is tragic, but the song "paradise" keeps coming into my head, Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

I'm curious about this statement. I see this coming from many other people besides yourself. Are you all totally against the taking of land from others or just the "native Americans"? If so, none of us should be allowed to call any nation "ours". Tribes, clans, nations are conquered. Those who win the war claim the spoils. Should we all just pack up and head back to our home lands? That sounds impossible since every inch of land has belonged to someone else before the "natives" called it home.
Not that what your saying is wrong or bad, but your statement brings a serious issue with it. I guess what I'm saying is, were "native Americans" always here, from the beginning of time?
What is happening is tragic, but the song "paradise" keeps coming into my head, Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away.

The short version...
In many places there are federal appeals pending over getting the Govt to stop reneging on treaties and treaty rights already signed. Once the treaties were signed the Federal Government ignored them and continued seizing lands and mineral rights they had already handed over to Native Nations in exchange for other LARGER tracts of land.

The lands taken in most cases were effectively stolen already once.( important point)
Now the Govt is letting fortune 500 companies and foreign interests go in because the lands fall under the juristiction
"technically" of The Department Of The Interior, so the Interior Dept leases/sells it out without any input from the Nations residing there. The Dept Of Interior was set up originally as a "trust holder" for Native peoples as back in the beginning they were seen by Whites as uneducated. It really was a scam by our Federal Govt to hold all monies in trust and not pay any out.

So effectively the Nations lands are NOW being stolen TWICE!!!

They are quite legitimately PISSED.
You would be too.

This current protest is as much about Water Rights and the environment as well. No Oil Company anywhere ever has built a pipeline that hasn't leaked and caused irreprepable damage that they get out of taking care of. This above the cost in wildlife and loss of drinking water.

You can educate yourself easily on the internet on all the ideas you discussed in your post.

Almost forgot...
This is the icing on the cake.
Native Nations are regarded as sovereign entities every time the Feds are asked for infrastructure funding,education funding. They are told take care of that yourself. Then when the Feds want to give away portions of the reservation they are told they need to "play ball" and trickle down economics will happen. The entire system is rigged to keep Native Nations poor and take the tiny bit left to them. When Natives were forced onto reservations they here given the most worthless parcels of land. NOW that we've discovered Oil and precious metals there we want that land back. The entire system is rigged to still....never pay what's owed and hound them into oblivion.

edit on 7-9-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join