It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several thousands Natives protest pipeline; Tribes sending supplies for the long haul

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The Standing Rock Sioux Reservation began a small, peaceful protest of the Dakota Access pipeline last month right at the spot where it would cross the Missouri River just a half mile north of their reservation. The river is their water supply. Over the course of a few weeks the protest has grown into a camp of several thousand Natives from over 90 tribes across the country.

In the story below at DrydenWire.com it details the position of Energy Transfer Partners, the Texas-based oil company that owns the pipeline, and the position of the Standing Rock Sioux tribal nation, through a statement in the New York Times by their tribal chairman.

LCO Tribe sends supplies to oil pipeline protesters

I'm the author of the story. My own tribe sent a bunch of supplies like blankets, lanterns, flashlights, food, clothes, tables, bottled water and a bunch more stuff to the camp protesters. They have built a large camp for the many tribal people coming in from all over. The camp has kitchens for cooking, stages for speeches and other demonstrations and a lot of other stuff.

Other protests are starting up in other areas now as well, such as in Boone, IA, where it crosses farms and small communities. 30 people were arrested yesterday in their protests.

None of this is making the main stream media and yet a few ranchers protest on federal land and that was the top of the headlines for a month. I wonder why? I'll tell you why... because this is a protest against oil and gas. Oil and Gas are a major part of the elite that control the media. It couldn't be more obvious. This is a very important story and yet, media silence.

Archambault said the pipeline was fast-tracked using the Nationwide Permit No. 12 process which grants exemption from environmental reviews as required by the Clean Water Act and the National Environmental Policy Act by treating the pipeline as a series of small construction sites.

“Unlike the better-known Keystone XL project, which was finally canceled by the Obama administration last year, the Dakota Access project does not cross an international border — the condition that mandated the more rigorous federal assessment of the Keystone pipeline’s economic justification and environmental impacts.

“The Dakota Access route is only a few miles shorter than what was proposed for the Keystone project, yet the government’s environmental assessment addressed only the portion of the pipeline route that traverses federal land. Domestic projects of this magnitude should clearly be evaluated in their totality — but without closer scrutiny, the proposal breezed through the four state processes,” Archambault said.

“There have been shopping malls that have received more environmental review and Tribal consultation than this massive crude oil pipeline,” said Jan Hasselman, an Earthjustice attorney representing the Tribe in the litigation. “Pipelines spill and leak. It’s not a matter of if, but when. Construction will destroy sacred and historically significant sites. We need to take a time out and ensure that the Corps follows the law before rushing ahead with permits.”

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
The Standing Rock Sioux Reservation began a small, peaceful protest

Sioux are not known for small and peaceful actions, when comes to their land. Or at least they are known like this from the past. I kinda miss that old spirit.

I personally own an apache tomahawk replica and will "deliver" to anyone who gets nasty at my home or land. Just I don't know when we Europeans became more NA than the real blood descends.

Maybe coca cola really dissolves everything, even spirit.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I will have someone read it to me , thanks taco bell
edit on 9/2/2016 by ware2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

Read the post again or have somone read it to you.

The pipeline does not run through the res.
edit on 2-9-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

It will only destroy their water if it breaks, no big deal.

#nodpl
edit on 9/2/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

originally posted by: Rezlooper
The Standing Rock Sioux Reservation began a small, peaceful protest

Sioux are not known for small and peaceful actions, when comes to their land. Or at least they are known like this from the past. I kinda miss that old spirit.

I personally own an apache tomahawk replica and will "deliver" to anyone who gets nasty at my home or land. Just I don't know when we Europeans became more NA than the real blood descends.

Maybe coca cola really dissolves everything, even spirit.

Well, it didn't stay small very long. The protest grew quickly. And, many of them say they will not be removed from the protest camp without a fight. The issue is in the federal courts right now and will be decided on September 9 whether there will be more court action or if the Natives have to leave. Should get interesting and I expect that by that time the protest will grow even more.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

It will only destroy their water if it breaks, no big deal.

#nodpl

And we're talking about the Missouri River here, not some small tributary. Their Rez is based upon this river. There have been so many pipeline leaks and explosions over recent years that they have no track record for safety that they claim they have.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

The notion of pipelines need to be abandoned all together.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I know a few of the protestors. They take turns in groups, rotating in and out, always keeping a presence.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I know a few of the protestors. They take turns in groups, rotating in and out, always keeping a presence.

Nice, thanks for that info. I wonder how large the group is at one time. I am actually going there next week.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

If you meet a crazy chick named Liz from the Yakama Nation, she's my cousin.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Lol, awesome. I'll keep an eye out. Every time there is a crazy chick nearby (and there's a lot in Indian Country), I'm going to be thinking she's Liz... and I'll have to ask. lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

the pipeline was fast-tracked using the Nationwide Permit No. 12 process which grants exemption from environmental reviews as required by the Clean Water Act and the National Environmental Policy Act by treating the pipeline as a series of small construction sites.

This should not be allowed EVER. What's the purpose of the Clean Water Act and the National Environmental Policy Act if it can be sidestepped so easily with a permit? It totally nullifies all the Acts of protection.

Now on the issue of not being covered on social media and the MSM, blame the MSM. Evidently Native American issues and anti-big oil aren't up there with the BLM issues. I hope the tribes stay strong and united on this issue and win in the end.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I agree.

It's an insult to the Nations if they can be disregarded with a stinking "permit".

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
i have been regularly posting on facebook about the ongoing battle with the army corps eng. and the pipeline. msm is silent about this long battle, thousands standing up for what belongs to them by birthright. i hope we all come together to expose this theft and praise the sacred water guardians. thank you for this thread. may i repost to fb?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

A BLM group showed up at one of the sites today to protest with them. This isn't being covered by the MSM because of ad revenue. These protests are all over my Face Book and Twitter though. It depends on who you follow on social media.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I wish them all the best!
Too bad they don't have thousands of people,
then maybe someone would take notice!

We are fighting fracking and an injection well,
in a nearby township, above their water supply.
Long story short, their local ordinances didn't help, going to court didn't help...nothing!
It's being appealed now, but it doesn't look good!
And I don't know where all the money to fight is coming from.

The EPA is on the gas company's side!
Well right beside a grade school...okay.
Well close to a water source...okay.
Well close to a town...okay.
We tried making a new ordinance, with larger setbacks...it got shot down in court!

We tried to fight a landfill about 30 years ago.
We lost that fight too!
Now every day, truck load after truck load,
of garbage comes from out of state!
Even from New York City.
And 'low grade' radioactive waste! 😢
Who knows what all is in there?!
And they have caught some trucks
trying to bring in illegal trash!

It was only supposed to be a certain size.
But surprise, it filled up so fast with out of state trash, that they were worried we wouldn't have room for our own! So they got a permit to expand!

Our once beautiful, pristine forest is shrinking!
The little people don't stand a chance
against the big corporations!
And there is nobody that can come to our rescue!
I sure hope you have a better outcome!

WOQ

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaDreamer
i have been regularly posting on facebook about the ongoing battle with the army corps eng. and the pipeline. msm is silent about this long battle, thousands standing up for what belongs to them by birthright. i hope we all come together to expose this theft and praise the sacred water guardians. thank you for this thread. may i repost to fb?

Indeed, share as you will. We need to spread this message far and wide.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

A BLM group showed up at one of the sites today to protest with them. This isn't being covered by the MSM because of ad revenue. These protests are all over my Face Book and Twitter though. It depends on who you follow on social media.

Yes, alternative news, social media, you bet. But not the mainstream media. That's too bad because it is a growing story by the day and they look like fools sitting on the sidelines.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Ain't that the truth. Not sure either how this one is going to play out. Seems the tribes have a lot of support from outside the reservations, such as the ranchers and farming communities down river, as well as some Hollywood elite. Big oil is just that... BIG and they have billions at stake, so it will be one heck of a fight. How Standing Rock will come out? Well, if history has any clue, probably not too good.

One thing though is because of sites like this and social media, the efforts to keep what is happening quiet, are going to fail. Word is spreading and the camp keeps growing!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join