It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several thousands Natives protest pipeline; Tribes sending supplies for the long haul

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Then i wish you luck. I'll call my friend outside Montreal to see if he heard. He's Iroquois, Mohawk. I would say a tribal leader but i dont think that's the right saying.
edit on 2-9-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thanks, Bigburgh.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

They know and released a statement of solidarity already.
bsnorrell.blogspot.com...

The Warrior Society flag made it Aug 18th according to Akwesasne TV

This shutting down of the pipeline has been building as Rezlooper said since April. I've been following the different Nations water protests for a long time now and this new interest is eclipsing the 'Idle No More" movement.

I've made posts elsewhere on this, ATS usually isn't too interested in Native Issues.

Grandma Josephine has been walking around the Great Lakes for many years now and is one of the first to fight for all humans to have clean water.
indigenousrising.org...

With a copper pail of water in one hand and a staff in the other, Josephine Mandamin, an Anishabaabewe grandmother took on a sacred walk, traversing over 10,900 miles around each of the Great Lakes. She is known as the “Water Walker.”

According to the Michigan Sea Grant, the Great Lakes shoreline is equal to almost 44% of the circumference of the earth. “When you see someone walking with a pail of water, you wonder, where is she going with that water.”

So the message is, water is very precious, and I will go to any lengths to and direction to carry the water to the people.”

“As women, we are carriers of the water. We carry life for the people. So when we carry that water, we are telling people that we will go any lengths for the water. We’ll probably even give our lives for the water if we have to. We may at some point have to die for the water, and we don’t want that,” said Mandamin.

Mandamin joined the team of indigenous representatives from the Indigenous Environmental Network at the People’s Climate March during the week of September 18th to the 24th. “Why I’m here is because I really feel for the water. And to give the message to people that Water is a human right.”

In British Columbia different nations have been fighting the pipelines, hydro dams, mining tailing ponds as well as the Navajo with the Rio Tinto land grab. Facebook has been a phenomenal way to network and for different groups to get the word out. Say what you will about FB but news flies like the speed of light.

The Standing Rock Sioux are fighting for each and every one of us in an effort to keep clean fresh water available.

www.facebook.com...
This is one of the official FB pages of the Standing Rock protests.

Indian Country News is also covering this.
www.indiancountrynews.com...

MSM is finally picking up the story, guess they had no choice?
bigstory.ap.org...

www.nbcnews.com...

www.bbc.com...

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 2-9-2016 by Caver78 because: add links

edit on 2-9-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Actually this all started in 2014 with the Sioux fighting the Keystone Pipeline....

wagingnonviolence.org...

It began with a dream and a memory.

Faith Spotted Eagle slept. In her sleep, she saw her grandmother lying on a table, wrapped in a blanket with her white braids on her chest.

Her sister appeared. “What’s going on?” Spotted Eagle asked.

“I don’t know. They told us to come.”

A door opened; a room full of people, ancestors, stared silently. She felt in their stares a sadness, but also a strength. Another door opened to another room with the same scene. She knew that if she were to keep opening doors, all the rooms in the house would be filled with those watchful, silent ancestors.

Spotted Eagle closed her eyes, unsure of what do to, but knowing that it was impolite to stare back. Then her grandmother’s voice came to her.

“Look at the treaties. There’s something in the treaties.”

That’s when she woke up.

Spotted Eagle is a Dakota/Nakota elder of the Ihanktonwan tribe in South Dakota. She wears skirts that brush her ankles, and her white braids hang over her shoulders like her grandmother’s — but when she puts on sunglasses, she looks like a badass.

She didn’t know exactly what the dream meant, but she believed it was the answer to a problem she’d been thinking about for some time: How to prevent the Keystone XL pipeline from going through Lakota traditional territory, sacred land.

“Who will be able to stand with us?” she thought. “We have to stand with somebody.”

She prayed. And then she remembered the 1863 treaty between the Ihanktonwan and the Pawnee that was the first recorded peace treaty between tribes. She also remembered that throughout the last several decades alliances of natives and non-natives in the Northern Plains had formed and re-formed to defeat threats to land and water. Recently, Lakota elders had made moves to resurrect a new Cowboy Indian Alliance – this time to take on Keystone XL.

In late January of 2013, exactly 150 years after the signing of that first treaty, Spotted Eagle and other activists convened tribal representatives from across the continent on the Ihanktonwan reservation. Their purpose was to ratify the International Treaty to Protect the Sacred from Tar Sands and Keystone XL, a document based on that first 1863 peace treaty. It represented unprecedented unified action from North American indigenous people with one new addition: This new treaty also included a few of the ranchers from the Great Plains, who feel their lands are also threatened by the tar sands pipeline.

This image by Michael Horse was requested by Winona LaDuke from Honor the Earth for the Cowboys & Indians Alliance demonstration at the White House in 2014. It depicts cowboys and Native Americans fighting the Keystone XL Pipeline at the White House. Also depicted on the top right side of the image is the Washington Monument.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this thread. I logged into ATS a week ago for the first time in over a month thinking this topic would of been one of the top stories and ongoing discussions here. I find it alarmingly strange that this very important issue had not been brought to attention on this site until you did so yesterday (Sep, 2). Again, thank you for caring enough about the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and recognizing the importance of this issue to do so. I bookmarked your informative article (you authored?) that details the crux of the issue and outlines the affect it is and will be having on the people at Standing Rock for future reference.

drydenwire.com...

None of this is making the main stream media and yet a few ranchers protest on federal land and that was the top of the headlines for a month. I wonder why?

It has been making the mainstream media news here in Canada since the middle of August. That is part of the reason I was surprised it had not been brought to attention on ATS. I guess the lack of news coverage in the States explains why that is so.

Here are some links of ongoing reports on the Standing Rock issue from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) - which is funded by CDN tax dollars (the people) and thus the most go to source for TV and online news media in Canada (national news). If you have the time to read the articles, please let me know if there are any conflicting or distorted narratives being sold in these articles.

"Work halted on pipeline Enbridge spending $1.5B US to buy into" published on Aug 18, 2016:

www.cbc.ca...

"Dakota Access Pipeline: The legal challenges and protests" published on Aug 24, 2016:

www.cbc.ca...

Other protests are starting up in other areas now as well, such as in Boone, IA, where it crosses farms and small communities. 30 people were arrested yesterday in their protests

...and

"Indigenous people from Winnipeg join Standing Rock protest camp in North Dakota" published on Aug 25, 2016:

www.cbc.ca...

I'll tell you why ... because this is a protest against oil and gas. Oil and Gas are a major part of the elite that control the media. It couldn't be more obvious. This is a very important story and yet, media silence.

I agree. It is a sad and unfortunate reality. What you state is true. The censorship extends to social media platforms as well. I sent out a tweet about a week ago with the hashtag "StandingRock" in support and to bring attention to the issue and then immediately went to the live trending news feed to read other tweets to source information. It never showed up. It doesn't show much tweets for that hashtag even when you manually search it and go to the news feed. Test it out yourself...

The protest happening in Standing Rock affects not only the Sioux Tribe, but also the state of N. Dakota and America as a whole. It not just a First Nations People issue. In fact, it is a global concern in my eyes.

From your link:

“Protecting water and our sacred places has always been at the center of our cause. The Indian encampment on the Cannonball grows daily, with nearly 90 tribes now represented. Many of us have been here before, facing the destruction of homelands and waters, as time and time again tribes were ignored when we opposed projects like the Dakota Access pipeline.

The protest taking place reflects true activism. It's the fight against it by government along with the big oil and gas companies is the absurd part.

Btw, there is a current thread in another forum here on ATS about a grown man knocking out another grown man that took place in France that has 50+ flags and close to 800 comments (38 pages) mostly by Americans. Let that fact marinate when weighing the gravity of this current issue, my friend.

edit on 3-9-2016 by Involutionist because: Grammar and punctuation SUCKS!

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Posted today on Yahoo by the AFP.

www.yahoo.com...

Cannon Ball (United States) (AFP) - Protesters camping near Native American lands in North Dakota to protest the construction of an oil pipeline clashed late Saturday with construction company workers they blamed for destroying ancient sites.

Hundreds of protesters confronted a bulldozer crew in an area known as Cannon Ball, amid the vast grasslands of the northern US state.

Looks like things are coming to a head.

On Saturday, protesters were suddenly alerted to renewed digging, a day after the tribe filed evidence in court of dozens of newly discovered artifacts, grave markers and sacred sites.

The tribe said in a statement that a two-mile stretch was destroyed before the bulldozer crew was confronted and stopped.

"This demolition is devastating," Standing Rock Sioux Tribe chairman David Archambault said in a statement. "These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings there cannot be replaced."

I didn't see anywhere in the article if the company was legally wrong to continue to construction, but it seems that things are beginning to escalate to a level reminiscent of the altercations between strikers and strike-busters. Initial reports state that a few private security guards were injured by weapons fashioned from fence posts and poles. Protestors were pepper sprayed and had dogs set upon them.

Here's to hoping for the continued safety of all involved.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There is no way to "spin" this in the media.

It's a clear violation of treaties, a danger to a sovereign nation, and it is government-backed.
edit on 4-9-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
New Video of the protest as bulldozers were stopped and protesters pepper sprayed & bitten by private security guard dogs.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

aaaaand the only place I'm hearing about it is here.

No one cares.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
www.cbsnews.com...
www.seattletimes.com...
www.nytimes.com...

aaaaand the only place I'm hearing about it is here.

Broaden your horizons.
www.google.com...=Standing+Rock+Sioux+Reservation&tbm=nws

edit on 9/4/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Better.

I stand corrected.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Some of us care deeply, these people are fighting for ALL OF US,whether we can be there or not.

This winter will be telling, if they can keep it up?
I sincerely hope so!!

Paypal is your friend ( hint-hint-)

Fortunately or not as you see it FB is where most of the info is shared. Pls feel free to PM me if you have a FB account and I will hook you up?
If not I will keep doing my best to post what I can here.
edit on 4-9-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
On the bright side the Ojibway won a major victory against Enbridge.

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I have a cousin actively protesting there and she updates us on her activities. But thanks.

It's frustrating to see such blatant disregard.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

There is also good news if you choose to hear?

www.realpeoplesmedia.org...

Listen to "the good mind" if nothing else?

Glad & sorry your relative is at the protest....it's a HARD thing.
Thank them for me pls???

I made it to the halimand protest but don't have the $$$ to get to SD currently. I stand in shame.

edit on 5-9-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Reports are that attack dogs were used by private security....

countercurrentnews.com...

www.facebook.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Hey Caver, thanks for stopping by and sharing this information.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Sorry I haven't responded yet, I've been on the road working for the weekend but I will check out your links later tonight.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
New Video of the protest as bulldozers were stopped and protesters pepper sprayed & bitten by private security guard dogs.

www.youtube.com...

And this was done by the company's security.... Unreal!

Even the sheriff claims the Natives are violent but there's video shows the security body slammed a woman first.
edit on 5-9-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Saturdays violence was precipitated by the digging up of graves and other sacred sites.

This interview was recorded on September 3, 2016. Former Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Historic Preservation Officer Tim Mentz explains the destruction of burial grounds and sacred sites by Dakota Access Pipeline LLC. This sacred site is what people were trying to protect when Energy Transfer Partners brought in aggressive dogs to attack unarmed people.
Read more at indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

Here is just the youtube interview for those who want to cut to the chase.
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join