It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeological finds in Bulgaria: August 2016 highlights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Bulgaria has the fate to be on huge crossroads where civilizations rise and fall. For a small country the archeological claims have always been supreme. This summer also sites not fail to surprise us!

August is traditionally a peak month for archaeological work in Bulgaria, and in 2016, the month has yielded a wealth of finds, from what is claimed to be the oldest processed gold in the world, a 5000-year-old form of writing, amphorae dated from the time of the Trojan War and at the famed Perperikon site, one of the earliest Christian churches in Bulgaria.

The “City of Birds” is estimated to date from between 8000 years to 6000 years ago, when it was attacked and razed by hostile tribes, ending a relatively affluent life for the residents whose lifestyle also included producing art.

This and other intriguing stores in the article
Extras are found here

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

Bulgaria is in a hot spot, in between the Middle East and EU, with the Soviet region to the Northwest of it - plenty has happened in that area.

Thanks for sharing this - some really cool finds

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Seems you have some fine archaeology over there , if you dig a hole anywhere in Europe the Romans tend to pop up but that City of Birds sounds really interesting.

Great Avatar

edit on 30-8-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

usually in Europe people mostly dig up WW2 bombs now.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Although not main stream this vid takes in parts of Bulgaira and shows old old places .

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
It is true we know very little of the ways of the old and our history. I concluded this for myself after being in the tunnels under the pyramid of the sun, at Visoko, Bosnia. Then, can we claim all similar sites on ancient civilizations - surely not, air and water plus time can shape marvels, yet my gut knows there is something more. Good add!

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I wish the source gave the name of the archaeologists and teams who were working on these things. I tried (briefly) looking for papers but couldn't find anything. I suspect part of my problem is that I don't speak Bulgarian... still... it'd be nice to know who they are and what university they're with.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Some great finds as of late, it's wonderful when we rediscover a rich history in places many wouldn't expect.

I would love to visit Bulgaria one day, seems like a beautiful place. My ex was Bulgarian, she was colorful alright...

Archeology is our key of rediscovery, thanks for sharing the links

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

The archeological teams are headed by professors and docents from the National archeological institute, which is part from the Bulgarian academy of sciences.
Some more info here

top topics

join