It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The North American Monsoon is evidence of some serious Global Warming!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: Rezlooper

Link to Wisconsin data.

It does not seem out of the ordinary over a period of many decades.

It's the northern area, north of Eau Claire and Wausau, especially in the Northwest. Rain bands continue to hit this area, as well as northern Minnesota. We had 10 inches of rain in one storm, July 11. Last week we had over 3 inches in one storm. Last night, a couple more.
edit on 30-8-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Maybe it's the vast increase in moisture known historically that occurs before an ice age. It's written in sediment layers and known to geologists- and there is a whole contingent of people that believe an ice age is coming because of what the sedimentary layers show. It's time to freeze. Literally. Winter is coming, ya know.

Our major flooding occurred July 11. Winter wasn't on the horizon yet. Our rains were occurring before that and have continued since then. Ice age coming? Global temperature records would suggest otherwise.

I thought global warming preceded an ice age.
Heat melts glaciers deluding the salt water in the ocean and disrupting the currents transferring the heat around the globe. When the currents slow or stop the poles get colder causing a new ice age.

Here's a good article about the Greenland ice melt and its affect on the Gulf Stream.

Gulf Stream is slowing down faster than ever

The only area getting colder right would be behind the area affected like Europe, which gets mild winters because of the Gulf Stream. As it slows, it will cause European cities like Lisbon to experience winters like New York. The warm air over the Arctic will persist, for the time being, and continue the melting process.

I might add, the water vapor in our atmosphere is also playing a role in the slowing of the Gulf Stream because of all the evaporation, heavier rains than normal are occurring in the Atlantic, which is adding more fresh water, which helps to slow down the Gulf Stream, just like the addition of Greenland's melting ice. Water with a lower salt content doesn't easily drop to the ocean depths which is what the Gulf Stream does.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's wtter than average here, but it's also cooler. So I'm not sure how that equals global warming?

And since last year was mostly normal, but with a warmer winter than usual because of El Nino ... I'm not sure we can all this a trend. What I can say is that things are in flux from El Nino to some other regime. That's why a hot start to the summer gave way to a much coller end.

We may plunge into La Nina. Or we may stall in La Nada. But it's in flux and changing right now.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No matter where you are, the global trend is heat records are being smashed month after month for several years now.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am currently reading a science fiction book from the mid 70s. The allude to some of the environmental hysteria of the day. It is kind of comical. They talk about a coming Ice Age. Peak Oil. World Famine. Over population. Basically, the complete opposite of what is being claimed today.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I ate lunch today, guess no one was hungry in the world.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I was due to fly out of Las Vegas at the end of June and my flight was delayed by rain like I've never seen before in England or anywhere else in the world..........

You can normally see right across to the plain to the mountains on the far side about 30 or so miles away.Even the locals (airport workers) were watching in awe as I guess even they'd never seen rain like this before.At this time we could barely see the other end of the Virgin jumbo we were waiting to board.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The most important thing to keep in mind, is that it is local, state, and federal governments responsibility, to ensure that homes, businesses, and communities at risk from sea level rise and increased rainfall, are protected.

Whether global warming is man made or naturally occurring is irrelevant. Only mitigating for the changing circumstances is of any importance now. Rather than wrangling in congress, or blathering at the office of a states legislature, those with power should be seeking to create solutions to flooding, sea level rise, and other issues. I am talking about forty foot sea walls around the entire nation, I am talking elevating entire towns by twenty feet, so that there is plenty of drain away beneath all buildings public or private, I am talking about major infrastructural changes that will save lives and property in the short term, and nations as a whole in the long term.

This planets inhabitants need to prepare for its future at a more rapid pace, if they are to keep step with developments, rather than just simply drowning.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Everything, and I mean Everything, is the result of Global Warming. It's pretty funny really. No rain, more rain, no snow, more snow, cold temps, hot temps, lack of hurricanes, extra hurricanes... it's all due to global warming! My post is even due to global warming.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

The earth goes through its cycle but what does that mean for mankind and how long does the cycle persist?

We cannot predict such. All we can do is migrate and hope for the best. The Earth has to do what it has to do to sustain and so do we.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: butcherguy

I ate lunch today, guess no one was hungry in the world.

You get the point.

Monsoons in Upper Wisconsin do not Global Warming make.

Especially when the numbers for the entire state show 'normal'.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The most important thing to keep in mind, is that it is local, state, and federal governments responsibility, to ensure that homes, businesses, and communities at risk from sea level rise and increased rainfall, are protected.

Whether global warming is man made or naturally occurring is irrelevant. Only mitigating for the changing circumstances is of any importance now. Rather than wrangling in congress, or blathering at the office of a states legislature, those with power should be seeking to create solutions to flooding, sea level rise, and other issues. I am talking about forty foot sea walls around the entire nation, I am talking elevating entire towns by twenty feet, so that there is plenty of drain away beneath all buildings public or private, I am talking about major infrastructural changes that will save lives and property in the short term, and nations as a whole in the long term.

This planets inhabitants need to prepare for its future at a more rapid pace, if they are to keep step with developments, rather than just simply drowning.

Agreed True Brit. I'm glad you said it this way because that is the point. It's changing, regardless of the cause, and we need to prepare our futures for it.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's Global Climate Change now days has been changing for thousands of years. But I don't care anymore I just find it humorous that everything is getting blamed on it.

OOPS LOOK AT THE CLOCK IT'S BEER THIRTY. Must be because of climate change it hits every day the same time!!

edit on 30-8-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

No matter where you are, the global trend is heat records are being smashed month after month for several years now.

well here is the in the panhandle of flordia it been about the same since 1948. temperature is always within 1 to 5 degrees of averages. that's 60 years of damn steamy hot sub tropic climate and weather being pretty consistent.

here is the last 15 years,

and the link for 1948 to 2015/16 click the month above the chart to see average from 1948 to july 2016 it's not posting any thing after july yet. until i see a consistent climbing and staying there for more than a year or two, i'm gonna call bs.

The Weather Warehouse Pensacola Rgnl Arpt" (Escambia County)

edit on 30-8-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
a reply to: ketsuko

One of our local mets across the lake who's been employed as a complete weather geek & then some for half a century tends to disagree, in that the actual temps are likely lower by more than just a fraction of a degree.
He pointed out that locally, despite malfunctioning aspirators (what blows air over the thermometer instrument in a weather station) for months being known and slowly resolved, such stations are still giving out false numbers being accepted & logged as accurate. I believe one of his rants centered on the official station for tracking GR temps numbers were off by upwards of 5 degrees or more some days. It's inaccurate s# like that that makes it to "record books" and skews averages higher than they are, and those local and regional averages make it to the global.

I'm not buying temp claims until all weather stations are regularly maintained & repaired, and inaccurate temps no longer considered.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Not remotely.

This August is going to be cooler on average for what we normally have in this area.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Wattsupwiththat is NOT a legitimate source of information....just saying.

NASA has a good explanation about the Antarctic ice. Also there are indications that the Antarctic is experiencing a warming trend.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The north American monsoon happens in the southwest US.

Most of the cause is very hot sea surface temperatures in the Gulf of California.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It feels COLDER here at altitude.
NOT hotter.
The summer was only hot up to the 90s, LAST year and ALL those I remember before it, have produced 3 DIGIT heat.
No other evidence of HOTTER at a all.
Winter in 2014 was OUR coldest ever.
THE beyond, COMPLETELY ,stupid, IDEA that WE caused global warming, IF it is indeed happening, is a PLOY for world TAXATION and IT IS being dealt with as SUCH.

edit on 30-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I also think it's a sad world when you are so convinced that every little bit of weather that does not conform to what you think of as normal MUST be a sign of impending doom.

It's weather. It does things that are weird. It always has.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join