It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The North American Monsoon is evidence of some serious Global Warming!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I live in northern Wisconsin. Home of long harsh cold and snowy winters but beautiful dry summers, so much so that we attract a lot of tourists from everywhere. This summer we live right smack in the middle of a deluge, a monsoon I’ve never witnessed before in these parts, nor has even our eldest of elders.

Storm after storm, day after day, rain amounts in excess of several inches over and over again. Floods that have devastated communities, hundreds of homes damaged, businesses damaged, some homes totally destroyed from the floods. One community completely trapped inside from the outside world for three weeks. They had to be air-dropped water and supplies and the sick and dialysis patients had to be air-lifted out.

We are not alone!

This has been the theme all over America. Torrential rainfall causing unprecedented floods on an epic scale. The Louisiana flood was called a 1,000-year storm. But in the last few years, increasing each year, how many of these 1,000-year storms have we experienced? From Superstorm Sandy to the Texas floods this spring, it’s happening over and over again. Why?

It’s one consequence of the global warming currently underway and we’d better get used to it, cuz it’s only gonna get worse in the years to come.

As the Earth continues to warm, the atmosphere gets better at holding in water vapor and it has to dump somewhere, which is right on top of our heads in the places we live, sleep and work, disrupting our daily lives in immeasurable ways.

Our grounds are so saturated that some of the lower-lying homes in my community actually have water seeping into their basements. The ground outside isn’t flooding, but yet, their basements are.

Here is how the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration defines it all. First, an introduction to greenhouse gases and how they are creating this warming atmospheric environment.

Many chemical compounds present in Earth's atmosphere behave as 'greenhouse gases'. These are gases which allow direct sunlight (relative shortwave energy) to reach the Earth's surface unimpeded. As the shortwave energy (that in the visible and ultraviolet portion of the spectra) heats the surface, longer-wave (infrared) energy (heat) is reradiated to the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases absorb this energy, thereby allowing less heat to escape back to space, and 'trapping' it in the lower atmosphere. Many greenhouse gases occur naturally in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, and nitrous oxide, while others are synthetic. Those that are man-made include the chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) and Perfluorocarbons (PFCs), as well as sulfur hexafluoride (SF6). Atmospheric concentrations of both the natural and man-made gases have been rising over the last few centuries due to the industrial revolution. As the global population has increased and our reliance on fossil fuels (such as coal, oil and natural gas) has been firmly solidified, so emissions of these gases have risen. While gases such as carbon dioxide occur naturally in the atmosphere, through our interference with the carbon cycle (through burning forest lands, or mining and burning coal), we artificially move carbon from solid storage to its gaseous state, thereby increasing atmospheric concentrations.

Source

Secondly, here is an explanation of how water vapor is the culprit.

Water Vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere, which is why it is addressed here first. However, changes in its concentration is also considered to be a result of climate feedbacks related to the warming of the atmosphere rather than a direct result of industrialization. The feedback loop in which water is involved is critically important to projecting future climate change, but as yet is still fairly poorly measured and understood.

As the temperature of the atmosphere rises, more water is evaporated from ground storage (rivers, oceans, reservoirs, soil). Because the air is warmer, the absolute humidity can be higher (in essence, the air is able to 'hold' more water when it's warmer), leading to more water vapor in the atmosphere. As a greenhouse gas, the higher concentration of water vapor is then able to absorb more thermal IR energy radiated from the Earth, thus further warming the atmosphere. The warmer atmosphere can then hold more water vapor and so on and so on. This is referred to as a 'positive feedback loop'. However, huge scientific uncertainty exists in defining the extent and importance of this feedback loop. As water vapor increases in the atmosphere, more of it will eventually also condense into clouds, which are more able to reflect incoming solar radiation (thus allowing less energy to reach the Earth's surface and heat it up). The future monitoring of atmospheric processes involving water vapor will be critical to fully understand the feedbacks in the climate system leading to global climate change. As yet, though the basics of the hydrological cycle are fairly well understood, we have very little comprehension of the complexity of the feedback loops. Also, while we have good atmospheric measurements of other key greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane, we have poor measurements of global water vapor, so it is not certain by how much atmospheric concentrations have risen in recent decades or centuries, though satellite measurements, combined with balloon data and some in-situ ground measurements indicate generally positive trends in global water vapor.

Source

And there you have it. In summary... as the earth warms, more water is evaporated from rivers, streams, lakes, oceans and because of the warmer air, humidity holds more water vapor, which then absorbs more infrared energy heating the earth even more. This continues in a feedback loop.

We are definitely seeing this with all the storms and torrential rainfall. The storms that have been hitting us park right over an area and dump heavy rains for hours before moving on the next area. This is what is so unusual for us and for many others.

Global warming is obvious. To deny this is ignorant!

edit on 30-8-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
While I completely believe climate change is real. Have to use the same argument I use on naysayers who point to their neck of the woods as *Proof its a hoax*. Local change really isn't indicative of anything.

However,I bet these trends are popping up all over, and *that* is evidence.
edit on 30-8-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
While I completely believe climate change is real. Have to use the same argument I use on naysayers who point to their neck of the woods as *Proof its a hoax*. Local change really isn't indicative of anything.

However,I bet these trends are popping up all over, and *that* is evidence.

Through the OP I state that these torrential floods are all over the United States and all over the world, including Brazil, parts of Europe and elsewhere. We are not alone. You should read the entire OP.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I had three pears on the tree in my backyard this year.
Why only three pears?
Because of a late frost.
That's right. Frost... and late. It froze the blossoms.

Global warming needs to wise up and get a little warmer. I can't raise tropical fruit in my backyard if global warming doesn't get it together soon.

Note that I didn't call global warming a hoax..... I am just really tired of waiting for it.
I had to PAY to HEAT my house last winter.
edit on b000000312016-08-30T10:34:02-05:0010America/ChicagoTue, 30 Aug 2016 10:34:02 -05001000000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Very similar pattern here, in the US SouthWest. Monsoons much heavier than even last year, when they were heavier than the year before, etc.

We are fortunate enough to live on a high ridge, so long term flooding is not much of a problem, but just from the local storms we have had water in the basement. Land erosion problems are much bigger this year than previously.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Every global warming thread says weather is not climate.
But here weather is proof of climate change.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I had three pears on the tree in my backyard this year.
Why only three pears?
Because of a late frost.
That's right. Frost... and late. It froze the blossoms.

Global warming needs to wise up and get a little warmer. I can't raise tropical fruit in my backyard if global warming doesn't get it together soon.

Note that I didn't call global warming a hoax..... I am just really tired of waiting for it.
I had to PAY to HEAT my house last winter.

lol, you are but a spec of sand in an ocean in regards to the total surface of our planet.

In these neck of the woods I refer where we have torrential rains, it is also an average year temperature wise, but that doesn't mean the rest of the planet isn't experiencing heat records.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Every global warming thread says weather is not climate.
But here weather is proof of climate change.

Water vapor is proof of climate change. Water vapor results in excessive weather.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Maybe it's the vast increase in moisture known historically that occurs before an ice age. It's written in sediment layers and known to geologists- and there is a whole contingent of people that believe an ice age is coming because of what the sedimentary layers show. It's time to freeze. Literally. Winter is coming, ya know.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

So you're saying the climate is always changing?
Interesting

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Maybe it's the vast increase in moisture known historically that occurs before an ice age. It's written in sediment layers and known to geologists- and there is a whole contingent of people that believe an ice age is coming because of what the sedimentary layers show. It's time to freeze. Literally. Winter is coming, ya know.

Our major flooding occurred July 11. Winter wasn't on the horizon yet. Our rains were occurring before that and have continued since then. Ice age coming? Global temperature records would suggest otherwise.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It's my view the globe is always changing and has since recorded history. Climate changes.

The Earth will correct itself with more and more volcanic eruptions and if a Super Volcano goes off... this is why. The Earth has always went through heating and cooling cycles and humans will either survive the conditions or wont.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Our major flooding occurred July 11. Winter wasn't on the horizon yet. Our rains were occurring before that and have continued since then. Ice age coming? Global temperature records would suggest otherwise.

Actually when you study our history it's plain to see. The Earth has always gone through cycles and will again. An Ice age of big proportions will indeed come this way if the globe continues to heat up. The Earth is instinctive upon her survival however doesn't mean we will not be displaced like our ancestors. It's inevitable actually.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

I thought global warming preceded an ice age.
Heat melts glaciers deluding the salt water in the ocean and disrupting the currents transferring the heat around the globe. When the currents slow or stop the poles get colder causing a new ice age.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Global warming is man made. As in man made HAARP to create "global warming"

It's all part of Agenda 21 and the depopulation goal.
Move to a protected city and receive a lower quality of life.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

Global warming is man made. As in man made HAARP to create "global warming"

It's all part of Agenda 21 and the depopulation goal.
Move to a protected city and receive a lower quality of life.

Good Gawd Man!
You are really spoiling my dreams of tropical fruit in my backyard.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ

It's my view the globe is always changing and has since recorded history. Climate changes.

The Earth will correct itself with more and more volcanic eruptions and if a Super Volcano goes off... this is why. The Earth has always went through heating and cooling cycles and humans will either survive the conditions or wont.

It's a good point. Volcanic ash would create a cloud cover to block the sun's heat. Water vapor does the same as it is condensed into clouds, so maybe, eventually, the water vapor is a good thing. But, in the meantime, what does that mean for us? The earth goes through its cycle but what does that mean for mankind and how long does the cycle persist?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Link to Wisconsin data.

It does not seem out of the ordinary over a period of many decades.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I wish we had some rain here in sc, no rain for 3 weeks now

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

eventually, the water vapor is a good thing. But, in the meantime, what does that mean
Its a good news bad news . More water on land means less water to cause the sea to rise .More water vapor means less heat hitting the earth . Its a very big oscillating system where the sun play a big roll .This solar cycle is unusual and it will be interesting to see how the next one shapes up . One thing is for sure is that things as far as climate and weather change but fluctuate to a point where we as humans seem to do pretty well as a species .

I have always dreamed of bananas growing where I live but and doubtful that will happen in my life time . ETA

Earth’s surface gained 115,000 km2 of water and 173,000 km2 of land over the past 30 years, including 20,135 km2 of water and 33,700 km2 of land in coastal areas. Nature Climate Change
wattsupwiththat.com...
edit on 30-8-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join