It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholics are not Christian?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Someone explain this to me...

I've been hearing this from people lately...

im even seeing someone that still can't grasp the idea, which is weird considering i've explained it a few times

Keep in mind im not agreeing or disagreeing with the idea...

Even though i find one side ridiculous

Anyone?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Is this a Canadian thing? Possibly an apology for some strange thing no one else will understand?

I am at a loss then.

Catholics are some of the worst Christians around!

P

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Catholicism means you believe the pope has the authority of Christ on Earth and you do not have direct access to him. Being Christian means there is nothing between you and Christ. Catholicism teaches a false Christ, though lately the pope has been blurring the lines between the two ideologies. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future he claims that we should all affix ourselves to a single moniker that defines the generalities that we all "agree" with.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Are you trying to flush out the Catholics on the site? I think most of them have stopped posting.
The American Protestants, who have been taught to make this claim, are probably still in bed.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

My grandma always said that the Catholics were just as bad as the Jews.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Catholicism means you believe the pope has the authority of Christ on Earth and you do not have direct access to him.

Catholic means Universal...

Ignatius used it first in the very early second century

Catholicism teaches a false Christ,

I would like you to show that doctrine somehow

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Are you trying to flush out the Catholics on the site? I think most of them have stopped posting.
The American Protestants, who have been taught to make this claim, are probably still in bed.

lol no...

I'm just inquiring

They're all just labels to me, but i understand their differences...

Im trying to figure out the origin of this idea

edit on 30-8-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

It IS ridiculous.

The same issue runs in Islam too though - the Sunnis consider the Shias to not be real Muslims either.

At the end of the day, it is stupidity that rules over peoples heads when they make such statements. There are elements of Catholicism that Protestants disagree with, but the Coptic church also holds the same beliefs minus the whole Pope in Rome thing of course (they have their own popes though) plus a few more, like an extra gospel.

Yet they are still considered real Christians.......
edit on 30-8-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Is this a Canadian thing?

no...

we worship the mighty penguin...

The Bird with the Word

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

When you can tell me where in the bible that a "Hail Mary" will take away sin, I will oblige

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
"The Pope is against Christ" goes back to Luther.
If one believes that Catholics are following the antichrist, then denying them the label "Christian" is a fairly natural deveopment. It just seems to have happened gradually and locally.
It doesn't make sense to people who have learned history, but who learns history nowadays?

I go with Parson Thwackum;

By religion I mean Christianity, by Christianity I mean Protestantism, by Protestantism I mean the Church of England as established by law.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum

When you can tell me where in the bible that a "Hail Mary" will take away sin, I will oblige

Kinda like how "Faith alone" does the same?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Umm..

I'm Catholic. I'm 27.. I went to Catholic school from kindergarten all the way through high school. I've had theology class every year in school, so that's 13 years of theology courses. From ages 2-10 I went to church every Sunday. I'm confirmed, I come from a pretty religious family (although I'm not terribly religious myself)..

And I can tell you Catholics are 100% without a doubt Christian.

Christianity is simply believing that Jesus Christ is the true Son of God and not merely a prophet, believing that he is a part of the Holy trinity (father, son, and holy spirit) that makes up what "God." Is.

Christianity.. as I was taught.. is broken up into 3 different groups.. (well.. 1 is a group.. the others are orders within Christianity)

1. Roman Catholics 2. Eastern Orthodox Catholics 3. Protestants

Protestants are essentially all.other forms.of Christianity that aren't Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox such as: Baptists, Evangelicals, Lutheranso, Methodists etc.

All of which are Christian.. just like Catholics..

However all the protestant religions aren't Catholic.

edit on 30-8-2016 by Lucidparadox because: Typos

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

By religion I mean Christianity, by Christianity I mean Protestantism, by Protestantism I mean the Church of England as established by law.

Isn't that what Constantine did?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum

Catholicism means you believe the pope has the authority of Christ on Earth and you do not have direct access to him. Being Christian means there is nothing between you and Christ. Catholicism teaches a false Christ, though lately the pope has been blurring the lines between the two ideologies. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future he claims that we should all affix ourselves to a single moniker that defines the generalities that we all "agree" with.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Catholics are taught ton have a personal connection and relationship with Christ.

Where did you hear that we do not have direct access? Lol

Both the new and old.testament are littered with people who aren't the pope having "direct access" lol

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I don't believe in "Faith alone". I believe we are sinners right unto the grave. Not a one of us can buy our way into the grace of God, which is why it is called "Grace" to begin with. Only our Father in heaven can say to us: "My Son, in whom I'm well pleased...". Not a pope, not a priest, not ANYone on this Earth has that authority. There are many flavors of Christianity and just because people like to pick and choose what to believe, doesn't make the landscape of being a "Christian" beholden to those generalized views.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
There are plenty of Catholics who do not meet the standards of christianity, as well as protestant christians who dont meet the standard

So yes some Catholics are not christian, some Protestants are not christian.
Many who claim christianity are not and will not

Cant just call yourself a christian, believe in God and be a christian
Satan believes in God,
James
…17 So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that, and shudder!…

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Isn't that what Constantine did?

Not in England, no. Nor did he write the King James Bible, as somebody here tried to tell me once.
The good parson is talking about the Act of Supremacy of 1534 ("This realm of England is an empire"), the Act of Supremacy of 1559, and the Act of Uniformity of 1662.
edit on 30-8-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

Christianity is simply believing that Jesus Christ is the true Son of God and not merely a prophet, believing that he is a part of the Holy trinity

If you believe that then you have been deceived greatly

I would wager my life satan believes what you have stated and it isnt christian

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Catholics are taught ton have a personal connection and relationship with Christ.

Where did you hear that we do not have direct access? Lol

Yup.....

The main difference between Catholicism and the true protestant faiths is that they are like "Jesus - lite" versions of Salvation. They fastidiously hold on to the belief that you can only talk to Jesus and God.

The older Coptic, Catholic and even Anglican (Episcopalian) faiths however all believe in the communion of Saints. i.e. Jesus has helpers. So while the holy trinity are always number one, we have loads of folks in heaven to go bug God for the odd favour when we need it

edit on 30-8-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join