It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Donald Trump's companies at least $650 million in debt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
We're supposed to trust this guy with the economy? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, $1 million loan from his father, $40 million inherited... and yet he still manages to have how many bankruptcies and have his empire be $650 million in debt:

Donald Trump’s properties are indebted to a number of large financial institutions, including some that he’s repeatedly maligned on the campaign trail, according to a new report by the New York Times.

The newspaper found that holdings by Trump have debt amounting to at least $650 million -- a far cry from the amount ($315 million) filed on the personal financial disclosure forms he gave to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

The campaign addressed the discrepancy to the Times, attributing it to the limited information the FEC actually requires on such forms

www.cbsnews.com...

New York times first broke the story and now it's doing the rounds.

Maybe this presidential run is just the thing Trump needs. He made $190 million extra since his initial run. Either way this does not look good at all.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Didn't you see who he owes it to?

....China & Goldman Sachs.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Wouldn't all this debt disqualify him from being POTUS? Could be why he refused to release his tax returns.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Wouldn't all this debt disqualify him from being POTUS? Could be why he refused to release his tax returns.

No. It's debt owned by his business, not by him. The real question you should be looking at is if his real estate assets are worth more than the debt carried by them.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I don't think his debt disqualifies him from being POTUS but it does not look good.

With regards to his tax returns... Trump will be the first GOP nominee since Ford in 1976 not to release his tax returns during his bid for the presidency:

Wallace said, "Every Republican nominee since Richard Nixon, who at one time was under an audit, has released their tax returns."

The IRS did audit Nixon, and he did release his tax returns. But he released them after he won re-election. His successor, Ford, released a tax summary spanning several years but never his full returns.

That being said, every Republican nominee since then — six nominees over nine elections — has disclosed their tax returns.

www.politifact.com...

First time in 40 years.

There is evidently something, or a number of things, he is hiding in his tax returns.
edit on 20-8-2016 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
i dont think you understand how realestate development works.
a good developer never puts in his own cash.
he either takes a loan through an LLC that they set up, or sets up an LLC with several investors.
It may just mean he bought a lot of buildings that he is paying off.
Notice how it doesnt say he is in default on any of those loans

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It's a lose lose for him to release his tax returns. That's why he won't.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This part of the article right here I found amusing... and disturbing at the same time:

Trump, while on the trail, has repeatedly slammed his political rivals for their connections to Goldman Sachs.

Notably, one of these -- a Manhattan office building which Trump partly owns -- “carries a $950 million loan,” according to the Times. Goldman Sachs and the Bank of China are two of the building’s four lenders.

Trump, while on the trail, has repeatedly slammed his political rivals for their connections to Goldman Sachs. After news reports revealed back in January that his then-primary opponent Texas Sen. Ted Cruz had received two loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank (totaling as much as $1 million) to fund his Senate campaign, Trump criticized Cruz as being beholden to banks.After news reports revealed back in January that his then-primary opponent Texas Sen. Ted Cruz had received two loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank (totaling as much as $1 million) to fund his Senate campaign, Trump criticized Cruz as being beholden to banks.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

This is funny they are claiming he didn't tell them about thr debt he's not required to discuss In the first place. Personel debt is required on the statement not business debt. But he included any debt were he owned thr entire company. He did not include debt for companies he is only part owner. Because he doesn't control them he is an investor.

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

So you don't understand how debt works in the real estate market. Gotcha.

Most commercial real estate deals in general carry large amounts of debt for years until the asset matures and it's flipped(sold). Trump carrying this debt tells us next to nothing without more info....info which you neglected to provide.

Commercial real estate is essentially a down payment on future profits with the down payment counting as debt. Similar to buying a pro sports team. Can pay 200M and it will register as debt but once you sell it for 500M a decade or two later, obviously it registers a different picture(huge profit) than the erroneous one you're attempting to spin.
edit on 20-8-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian and yet he still manages to have how many bankruptcies and have his empire be $650 million in debt:

Blame the laws that make it legal for huge companies to clamp bankruptcies in their benifits. Just working with in the laws. Not that I condone it but if it's not illegal then there isn't much here. Except for how effed the laws really are for corporations.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A President who owns indebted companies that have enabled thousands to feed their families.
or
A President who lies to families & authorities, is lazy, physically frail, and a death-curse to associates.

Easy choice my friends. Go Trump!

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better hillary lost 6 billion under her watch.

The problem is she out scumbags trump on just about everything. She makes him look like a cubscout.

Eitherway we r screwed but she is the bigger proven evil. She will be our POTUS because she is part of the corrupted system.

edit on 24831America/ChicagoSat, 20 Aug 2016 22:24:14 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
he either takes a loan through an LLC that they set up, or sets up an LLC with several investors.

Hey I'll be the first to put my hand up and admit I don't fully understand the ins and outs of realstate and investment property. That being said, I find it disturbing that he is millions debt to companies the likes of Goldman Sachs and other foreign firms, including the Bank of China. There's also the other fact we don't know for sure just how much Trump is worth. Trump himself has given us a figure of $10 billion, based on little evidence. Forbes magazine puts him at $4 billion at best. Trump sued journalist O'Brien who claimed back in 2005 that Trump was worth $150 million to $250 million. That case was dismissed. Without seeing his tax returns we don't know for sure his worth.

Given that he has a $650 million loan to commit to, which to me in on itself is an indication he hasn't been all too successful in clearing his loans, and given the possibility he may not even be a billionaire, alarm bells ring.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Commercial real estate requires enormous upfront payments and/or loans which will register as debt for years as you don't clear that debt until a future sale.

What also should be acknowledged is 99.9% of society couldn't get financial backing to assume such debt, which means the lenders recognize Trump has an enormously successful revenue stream(s) and has to in order to shell out such loans in the first place.

Same thing with signing a mortgage. Your credit history, income and total asset worth will dictate what type of loan you can get. Only way you get 650M of "debt" in real estate is having a successful track record of turning debt into profit and having a massive net worth.

Actually, this thread is a compliment to Trump if one actually understands debt.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

If it makes you feel better hillary lost 6 billion under her watch.

Hillary Clinton lost $6 billion of her own funds due to being personally in debt? Really? Where's your source I'm curious. Better yet start a thread on that, I'll chime in.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Perspective.

Even if true:

The US debt has nearly doubled under Obama from 10 trillion to nearly 20 trillion.

The majority of homeowners and most business owners have way more debt than income. It only becomes an issue if and when they default.

In most cases even if you or your company is able to pay off all debts, it is wiser to invest that money in higher earning invstments than to completely pay off low interest loans.

Long term debt is the American way.
edit on 20-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

originally posted by: dashen

Given that he has a $650 million loan to commit to, which to me in on itself is an indication he hasn't been all too successful in clearing his loans, and given the possibility he may not even be a billionaire, alarm bells ring.

Your alarm bell is broken, bud.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

We're supposed to trust this guy with the economy? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, $1 million loan from his father, $40 million inherited... and yet he still manages to have how many bankruptcies and have his empire be $650 million in debt:

Donald Trump’s properties are indebted to a number of large financial institutions, including some that he’s repeatedly maligned on the campaign trail, according to a new report by the New York Times.

The newspaper found that holdings by Trump have debt amounting to at least $650 million -- a far cry from the amount ($315 million) filed on the personal financial disclosure forms he gave to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

The campaign addressed the discrepancy to the Times, attributing it to the limited information the FEC actually requires on such forms

www.cbsnews.com...

New York times first broke the story and now it's doing the rounds.

Maybe this presidential run is just the thing Trump needs. He made $190 million extra since his initial run. Either way this does not look good at all.

Nothing unusual at that level.

It's his money anyway.

Unlike obam's 9 trillion and rising, which Americans are on the hook for

Down graded twice.

But carrying debt is no big deal.

In fact, i had trouble buying my house since I didn't owe anyone money and never had a payment history.
I am a "limited credit user"

This is a non story.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

There is evidently something, or a number of things, he is hiding in his tax returns.

I suspect his finances are in order, though he may not be as rich as he claims since so much of his net worth is tied up in branding rather than products.

However, until recently he has been a pretty left wing guy, and even as an uncharitable billionaire he was still giving away millions per year. Maybe he's trying to hide that he was giving charity to a bunch of Democrat groups?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join