It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop Grumman T-X Prototype Spotted

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

It's part of the T-38 replacement program. The Air Force is replacing the 350 or so T-38s they use for pilot training.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yawn.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Would make a good Thunderbirds F-16 replacement.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

I suspect they'd be a little gunshy about anything T-38 related.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I have a hard time seeing them use F-35s in that role.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

The F-16s are going to be around for a long time to come. They're upgrading 300 of them starting in 2018, including new radar, new EW systems, cockpit displays, etc. They're going to be around until 2030 or so at least I'd say.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

CAPES got reinstated?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Most aspects of it were, but not the full program. Instead of the Block 30 through 52, they're looking at upgrading the 40s on.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The F-16s are going to be around for a long time to come. They're upgrading 300 of them starting in 2018, including new radar, new EW systems, cockpit displays, etc. They're going to be around until 2030 or so at least I'd say.

Interesting, will they do anything with the F-15s and Super Hornets or will they be phased out with F-35?

Will these be for more home guard or still deployable?

I remember watching a youtube video about the hornet, it was doing some clean maneuvers is the clouds and it looked so organic it reminded me of a Mako Shark. Gorgeous bird.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

dont know anything about it, but its ugly and meak.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Thats some real estate on it vertical stabilizer, would have been better with two cranked over 40 degrees, it would pretty much make it a single engine version of the ATD-X:

2.bp.blogspot.com... d%2Bof%2Bfirst%2Bflight%2Blater%2Bin%2BFeb%2B1.jpg

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
How much F22 and F35 techno wizardry can they fit into one of those little monsters?

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

The F-15s will depend on if they go with the 2040C program, and SLEP them or not. Right now, Japan is the only one actively interested in that program. The F-18s will be around awhile, as they're still buying them.

They'll deploy pretty much until the end of their lifecycle.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

It's mostly a matter of the cockpit displays and information. They need some sort of datalink system so the pilots can get used to the information sharing of fifth generation aircraft.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Is Northrop giving this the full effort? After the LRS-B win, it seems they wouldn't have a chance to win this no matter what they put out there.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: togroe

They still have a chance. Boeing has screwed up the KC program and are on short leash and LM is deep into getting the F-35's ramped up among other programs they have in the black. Even with the B-21 program they're still in a good position to get the award if their bird is competitive.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

As much as Boeing screwed up the tanker, my money is on them for the T-X. As much as they keep saying industrial base doesn't play a role, they don't want to lose a manufacturer. The F-15 and F-18, at the current rate, won't see 2020. Once they're done, the tanker is all Boeing has with any kind of numbers. Once they lose those, Boeing is done in the fighter game. They may bid on the next generation fighter, but they will have to train a new generation of workers from scratch.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I agree...I think there is no chance in hell Boeing loses this one...and damn that vertical on the NG assets seems disproportioned.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Also...being it was built at Scaled I bet this baby is all composite unlike the competition...I wonder how much of that will roll over into full rate production.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Keep in mind there's at lot more than the T-X at stake. How many friendly countries are changing to fifth generation aircraft? They're all going to need a trainer, and even if they train their pilots in the US. We'll need more than 350 aircraft if we're going to train their pilots too, and do Red Air with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join