It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop Grumman T-X Prototype Spotted

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: togroe

I've actually got my sights on Raytheon if they surpass the initial drawdown. The T-X is more about avionics and coms than the actual platform. Their simulator might win them the bid outright! Right now they are the furthest along in their development of any company competing and they are taking this very seriously.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Raytheon has a booming business with the military. I don't see the Pentagon risking their industrial base. They can go on about how that has nothing to do with it all they want, but it's obvious it plays a big role in any procurement.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I also enjoyed the hint dropped by the AETC a few weeks back by that the T-X may find a dual role as an attack aircraft. Not dissimilar to the A-4 in role. If that is included in the final proposal, then it's going to weigh heavily on the designs with some already built-on attack capability. The FA-50, yes, and especially the Scorpion with it's dual control surfaces and high-set wings would be attractive in this role. However it lumbers, and we know the AF prefers super-sonic, if it can get it.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That's a good point, and whomever wins I'd bet big bucks Raytheon builds the cockpit and they throw in the sim too.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: aholic
a reply to: togroe

Right now they are the furthest along in their development of any company competing and they are taking this very seriously.

LM and Ray are farther along than NG so they seam to have a leg up. Saaboeing is the wild card in all this.
edit on 21-8-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Raytheon and LM both have flown theirs. Both required relatively minor modification to existing aircraft.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The clean sheets will be very interesting to see as well and I imagine a bit more capable, especially for the attack quotient if eventually required. I don't think congress would be too happy with a foreign design if it's in direct support of ground forces.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

I think final assembly site is more important than design. And, which corresponding congressional delegation is more powerful.

SaaBoeing - StL I'm guessing; LM - Greenville, SC; Raytheon- Wichita? NG - Mojave/Palmdale?

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

Boeing-St Louis, that's where the fighters are built. NG- Long Beach, that's where they build center fuselage sections for the F-18 and F-35.
Raytheon is still looking at locations.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: 3danimator2014

It's part of the T-38 replacement program. The Air Force is replacing the 350 or so T-38s they use for pilot training.

I see. Thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
hrmm..... old news. but relevant

www.defensenews.com...

Boeing and Saab have managed to keep the design for the Air Force’s T-X trainer competition under wraps, but there are signs the two companies may be nearing a milestone for the program.

On Monday, aviation enthusiasts in Sweden noticed the arrival of an Il-76, operated by Volga-Dnepr Airlines LLC, near the city of Norrköping, where a large piece of cargo was loaded onto the plane. From there, the large cargo plane took off for Reykjavik, Iceland — and then took an overnight flight to St. Louis, Missouri.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

edit on 8/22/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Lockheed just lost. They guaranteed a successful protest if they're selected.
edit on 8/22/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Was that supposed to be in the CRADA thread?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

No, I threw it in here since we were talking about all the competitors.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Unconfirmed reports that Northrop flew their aircraft yesterday.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The aircraft departed from Mojave yesterday just before 1pm local time, and flew at least two hours. Nothing on how it performed yet.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Now we eagerly wait for the planform shot.

I'm thinking it'll look like an F-16 with Rafale intakes from below

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I'm very interested in the nozzle design. What are you thoughts on this Zaph?

Also to me this thing looks light, like really light.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join