It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop Grumman T-X Prototype Spotted

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Northrop Grumman’s entry for the T-X competition was publicly revealed on 19 August in Mojave, California.

Dubbed the Model 400, the Northrop bid is powered by a single GE Aviation F404-102D engine with 17,200lb-thrust, according to the US Federal Aviation Adminitration’s aircraft registration database.

Scaled Composites, the Northrop subsidiary devoted to rapid prototyping and flight testing, registered the aircraft on 16 June 2015, but the design was kept under wraps for several more months.

Images of the aircraft on Twitter show an aircraft with a prominent, single vertical fin and a nose section similar to the T-38.

Twitter image: pbs.twimg.com...

article link:

www.flightglobal.com...

Now we are awaiting the Boeing/Saab bird still, iirc.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Finally!

That's a sharp looking bird. It looks almost like a halfway point between a T-38 and a Dassault product.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Not impressed. I don't expect it to be amazing, but I expected more than a T-38. Be interesting to see how it performs. Might be more impressive there, but by looks, it's not much to look at.

edit on 8/19/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'll give you that it's not even 1/10th as sexy in 2016 as the T-38 was in 1950-whatever, but judging by the other entrants, it also seems like the USAF brass have spent the last 20 years looking at the T-45 and thinking "DAAAMMN, that's one GENERIC looking trainer, what I'd give to trade my sleek, sexy, unique T-38 for an uninspired design-by-committee cookie cutter airplane like that!".

So at least it's in character.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I'm still holding out hope that Saaboeing will roll out a Gripen for their entry.
edit on 19-8-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I doubt it, since it's supposed to be a clean sheet. Be interesting to see it though.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Don't you just love design by committee?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I ask if this was whats to be expected at airshows in the future. Because parts for f16's and 18's are scarce... and no way they are putting 22's or 35's out there.

Well its a concept i guess😐

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

The parts situation is complicated. Parts for F-16s aren't scarce at all, as they're still being built, although not many are still on the line. Parts for Legacy Hornets are scarce, in some cases. In others, not so much. Parts for Super Hornets aren't scarce at all, as, again, they're still being built.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I noticed in the last week that the Blue Angels are going for the Super Hornet, as presented here.
I hope they don't get beat out by cost. It's a bigger platform.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for both demonstration teams.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

That was always the plan, they've just delayed it as long as possible. It's going to happen, they just have to figure out the modifications to turn them into show jets.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

No G-suits and shiny paint. Or who knows.. i dont know the demensions of the SH cockpit. But it was my understanding that G-suits prohibitted certain maneuvers. Hence Super pilots with jump suit only😅
edit on 19-8-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2016 by Bigburgh because: Auto correct takover

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

That looks.....small? Sharp...but small.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

It's pretty similar in size to the T-38. Trainers tend to be fairly small.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Looks interesting enough. I never felt the T-45 was generic.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Awwww!

It's oddly cute! I know it is not a kitten or a puppy, and yet I would like to pet it.

And yes, that is one of the strangest reactions to seeing an aircraft, that I have ever had.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

38 was a great bird.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Northrop Grumman’s entry for the T-X competition was publicly revealed on 19 August in Mojave, California.

Dubbed the Model 400, the Northrop bid is powered by a single GE Aviation F404-102D engine with 17,200lb-thrust, according to the US Federal Aviation Adminitration’s aircraft registration database.

Scaled Composites, the Northrop subsidiary devoted to rapid prototyping and flight testing, registered the aircraft on 16 June 2015, but the design was kept under wraps for several more months.

Images of the aircraft on Twitter show an aircraft with a prominent, single vertical fin and a nose section similar to the T-38.

Twitter image: pbs.twimg.com...

article link:

www.flightglobal.com...

Now we are awaiting the Boeing/Saab bird still, iirc.

Crikey, just looks like a sharpened and polished TA4 Skyhawk with a bigger tail fin to me.

Another scooter!!!

Kinde regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ageed,looks like a T38.Saw one of those do a belly landing at March once.Landing gear stuck so they came in sliding,did it as good as you can,and a few weeks later it was repaired and back in the air.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Can I ask what the deal with this plane? I k now I can goggle it,but I'd rather hear from well informed plane geeks such as you guys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join