It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deus Ex Mankind attracts controversy from SJWs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I have been playing videogames since age 7, the days of nintendo 16-bits, mega drives, master systems and all that came next. Back in those days, and roughly the mid 90s certain games always caused controversy, usually it was the amount of violence that it generated and how and if it could influence youngsters to go on violent sprees across the streets, or the moral content present in games was simply unreligious or heretical in nature. We are in 2016 now, Deus Ex is considered as a cyberpunk RPG game, where conspiracy theories are abound, and the player actually has the freedom to decide the outcome of the game based on his own decisions. A new version of the game is called Deus Ex Mankind Divided, the game itself focus on a battle and divisions between augmented humans and people who choose to stray way from introducing tech into their own bodies, considering the augmented as dangerous individuals, creating phobias and conflicts in between. But now it seems it has attracted controversy from pretty outspoken people in the game industry on how games should actually be instead of what they are, based on the "right moral choices".

By Ian Miles Cheong | 11:17 am, August 10, 2016
The upcoming video game Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has seen no end to controversy lately. With release just a few weeks away, the perpetually offended raised issues over the game’s use of the term “mechanical apartheid,” and the horns of outrage have been sounded in light of the game’s supposed appropriation of Black Lives Matter within its themes.

More recently, self-described “pop culture critic” and Feminist Frequency producer Jonathan McIntosh took issue with the amount of freedom the upcoming game offers its players. It should be noted that player choice has long been a staple of the RPG genre, which allows players to decide the outcome of the story through their actions and deeds within the game. This, apparently, is a problematic thing for anyone who insists video games should be pedagogical and instruct players with a certain set of views.

“Devs say it’s up to players to decide if internment camps are good or bad?! No. The question itself is political!” wrote McIntosh. “Game developers like to pretend their narratives, scenarios and mechanics are politically neutral but that’s never really the case.”

Take from: heatst.com...

In resume, certain games shouldnt offer the player that much freedom, the player must be restricted to ethical moral choices, because they have a political leaning and might affect real world consequences.... really?
edit on 11-8-16 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Aug 11 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: added EX tags, trimmed quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

I'm the same. Started gaming with the spectrum ZX, then mega drive, master system back in the day.

This reminds me of the outrage (fake or otherwise) about the Mass Effect games. They also seem to be arguing about the same points...

-Player choices influence game progress and outcome
-Players choose who/what/how many to kill
-Players choose alliances
And so on.

I believe it's outrage for outrage sake. Kind of like the original GTA game "causing kids to kill". I played that game. I'm 37 soon. I haven't killed anyone....

Yet!
edit on 1182016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Never go FullMcIntosh

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Golden days for simple pleasures

The controversy around GTA was priceless, I even remember certain police forces afraid it would make people have fun killing cops or they would make people steal more cars just because it was fun to do in a game..

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

It was hilarious reading about the "parents outrage" at such a "graphic depiction of violence" in a computer game lol.

It was a top down game with (by today's standards) bad graphics. In no way did it even come close to "real life".

But haters gonna hate and moaners gonna moan.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This guy makes his living complaining about inconsequential nonsense. These days instead of the hyper-religious right being against video games it's the extreme left-wing sexists and racists who are the SJW camp.

It must be a pretty miserable life being offended and angry at everything you don't like being in entertainment.

Really the best strategy to these people is just to ignore them. The less publicity they get the less successful their fake outrage will be and the less money they will make off their ridiculous social-political movement.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Oh yes!! and when it went full 3D with GTA 3 or the Epic San Andreas? San Andreas being one of the best games I ever played.

In those days you had to deal parents, now you have to deal with their sons, who seem to be a little more retrograde than their parents, amazing!

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

There will always be someone against something because "reasons". Even if their reasons aren't justified, I guess they're allowed them.

Some reasons are just so silly (GTA, Mass effect, Deus Ex, Doom etc) that you just can't do anything, but point and laugh.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I just familiarized myself with the game in the vid below, cheers. It goes into the history of the game, versions and latest developments.

It looks like a really good game, I don't see what the issue is, maybe if I squint I can see Cheongs racism??

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - What the Hype?

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Circa 1992?

And on and on we go!

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Oh wow!

I completely forgot about Mortal Combat lol.

And don't forget about Double Dragon, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe (to name a few more lol)
edit on 1182016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I think that was the main "commercial" that made me want that game!

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Yea they pulled the blood from the arcade versions IRRC.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Please god stop this sjw madness before it consumes us all. Its an ideological cancer that needs to be excised.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Nah it's far too profitable for them to give up now. Their mindless twitter drones will keep throwing money at their scam kickstarter projects so they can keep going for another year.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I played both games before this one, in my opinion, the game kinda sets our own path to the near future, it brings deep questions, about augmentation, human relationships between technology and others, how the human race can evolve connecting themselves to machines, upgrading them, if we are on the path to actually become Gods and all the ethics and moral questions it brings, a lot of analogies to mythology even, the story of Icarus who went so high with his wax wings, that upon arriving closer to the sun, the wings melted, it brings the concepts together of how you can evolve, but rapidly decline into nothingness because of the dependency on technology and ego. Im a sucker for questions like that, and good storytelling which the game also has.
The question here is, why they want to try and dictate and censor how a game should be? The right moral ethics? its an open game, where you can enjoy freedom, you take your own decisions no matter what they are, and it will affect the outcome of the game, you also learn with it, now why do I have to just take the path they want to impose on me, just because they think it is the right way? Its a game!

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

They removed more than the blood in some of the arcade versions. They removed all the "fatalities" from some too!

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

“Sometimes when game designers set up ‘player choices’ the choice itself is immoral because it shouldn’t be up to the player to make it,” he wrote. “The point here is that the ‘player choice’ itself is an artificial construct that carries political messages no matter what players choose.”

This jackass must be a goddamned hoot playing Cards Against Humanity. Actually, you know... people like him are the ideal players to play that game against because their outrage is predictable and outrageously fun to provoke, so I take that back. I'd like to play CAH with this idiot named after two types of apples, Jonathon McIntosh.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

They removed more than the blood in some of the arcade versions. They removed all the "fatalities" from some too!

It wasn't "versions" it was just a switch on the game board. Most arcade managers would flip the toggle switch for you if you asked nicely and slipped them a $5 spot, depending on how many knee-jerk moms were helicoptering around the arcade.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Mortal Combat!!! I guess they wanted to censor the Fatalities at some point too!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join