It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana to remain illegal under federal law, DEA says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Marijuana will remain a Schedule 1 substance under the Controlled Substances Act. Substances in Schedule 1 are determined by the Food and Drug Administration to have no medical use. States that allow marijuana for medical use or legalize recreational use remain in defiance of federal law.

~

"There is no evidence that there is a consensus among qualified experts that marijuana is safe and effective for use in treating a specific, recognized disorder," the report added.

Marijuana to remain illegal under federal law, DEA says

Despite the many positive effects of pot with almost zero threat, still the DEA deems it necessary to keep marijuana under schedule 1, which by the way is the same for heroin, ecstasy and lsd among others.

Score 1 for big pharma and the war on drugs. Will and benefit of the people 0.

For the record I don't smoke and have not since high school. I do however see how it helps many many people first hand with multiple pain and eating issues.
edit on 11-8-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

There's already a thread on this that I did not see before making this one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11-8-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yep outlaw a plant but allow big pharma to hand you the real deal in the pill form. Our gov is a joke.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Absolutely correct. Also despite all the money it could bring in tax revenue, still not as profitable as the war on drugs.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I knew the DEA would pull this crap.
This is their cash cow, and they don't like the FDA dictating what they should do.
Though I don't see why the FDA doesn't just reschedule it with or without the DEA approval. They have that power.
Unless...

There is a vast conspiracy to keep people behind bars and sick.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That entire quote is based on 100% bullshot. Simply put. I'm in the medical field and have witnessed a minimum of at least 300 patients benefit from marijuana, attributed to a wide range of pathologies.

edit on 11-8-2016 by AgarthaSeed because: Typo

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I agree. I'm not in the medical field but have seen first hand the beneficial effects of marijuana in different forms.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Fact of the matter is the Prison Industrial Complex makes too much money from all the arrests and convictions of pot "crimes" in the United States.

It's a multi billion dollar industry tied to Big Pharma and the WODs.

That's what is criminal if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
There is a lot of money given to drug enforcement by the government. It will remain schedule 1 for a long time.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

That's what is criminal if you ask me.

Not sure, but the fact the people who own those companies, the dynasties, their close families, their bloodlines=they can break just about any law and immediate resolve it without prison. Every know and then they breed a serial killer and might let them go to jail, probably because they couldn't deal with them their selves.

You can guarantee their input was considered during this decision. The fact they get away with all of that, is criminal.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
My take on this is not so nefarious, hear me out.
1. The U.S. Federal Government is a signatory to the U.N. international drug control treaties, but the States are not. Countries with a federated systems of government like the U.S. and Germany can only make international commitments regarding their national-level policies. Constitutionally, U.S. States are simply not required to make marijuana illegal as it is in federal law.
2. Obama needs to leave something to HRC to propose on her campaign for election, to completely remove it from scheduled all-together. Why?
3. Moving Cannabis to schedule 2 would put the medical MJ industry under the control of the Federal government/FDA, Big Pharma would swoop in and crush the budding industry in corporate style which would cause the average dispensary to fall under FDA/USDA regulations and cause them to close. Also it would shut down legal sale just like...
4. Sched 2 drugs like Cocaine and Meth, aren't readily available in Dispensaries because of the tight regulation imposed by Federal Government. Hence so would Cannabis and all forms will be made into a pill by Corp Pharma.
- What needs to happen is Legalize it in all 50 states and have Congress remove MJ from all scheduled just like Tobacco and Alcohol.

It may be well and good to keep MJ a Scheduled 1 drug to prevent a total shut down by the power players in the Corporate world and the FDA.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Good

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sirric

Some good logic in your post. It should not be scheduled altogether as a lessening would simply make it totally controlled by big pharma and corporations.

However i would also like to point out that the US is the party who single handedly got marijuana on the UN drug treaties in the first place. Tsk tsk

In theory, the US could lead the charge on getting this reversed by the UN eventually and corner the entire marijuana market worldwide. Except - it seems this country is not interested in cornering the market on anything anymore save for incarceration and the MIC. We gave up on space, science, and product manufacturing long ago. We lead the perscription pill market by a landslide however im pretty sure they outsource most of the making of said drugs to china and the like.
edit on 11-8-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The DEA Is another corrupt,useless organization that
of course would make an assinine decision like this.
Another drain on the shrinking Americans even with jobs..

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Is it really a surprise? If this drug were completely legal, suddenly half the DEA would be out of a job.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This is where people need to boycott all the lobbying corporations and make as much noise as possible. The legalization movement really needs to keep pushing and fighting and we will eventually have laws that make sense. I'll drink to that!

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Good

As he spouts off from the UK

It is always good to cheer when others rights are stripped from them because you don't like their lifestyles.

What kind of human garbage cheers incarceration and extortion on?

Bad, real F'N Bad

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Good

Bet your ancestors were gutted when slavery was abolished, too.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Good

Why?

Surely it should be left in the hands of doctors what medication to precribe and not law enforcement?

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Look for rescheduling and Federal decriminalization once big pharma gets some hooks into the weed business. The banking problem will disappear too - as long as pot is only a certain percentage of your total business.

Color me cynical.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Good

How is this good?

The plant has been shown to be an amazing textile, has anti cancer properties, anti psychotic properties (cbd), anti seizure properties (thc) among many MANY other benefits.

Good for bad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join