It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - Trusting Your Memory - When Memory Becomes Knowledge

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: Indigent

I've still yet to meet a single person who knew about Narwhals until they read about them on the internet and find it incredibly difficult to believe nobody would teach their child about such a fantastic creature (if they really do exist)

I group up with a large poster on our basement wall. It had all different types of whales on it. the whales were to scale, so the blue whale just looked so unreal. towards the bottom of that poster was a Narwhal. This would have been made before 1990.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: Indigent

Looking at maps these days, South America has moved more East than it used to be from what I remember, I also never was taught about Svalbard it never existed to me until around the 00's and Geography was one my favourite subjects and I know all the countries.

However it could be due to more accurate mapping techniques thanks to satellites and GPS, it could also be true it has physically moved too, seeing as though plates do move over time.

Maybe that's conspiracy in itself that the plates are shifting more than anybody lets on ?

There are certainly some weird things however and he has point.

Same thing with Narwhals, until the internet I had never heard of them, I am still dubious of their existence and do wonder if it's some elaborate internet joke but they're supposedly real creatures and I'm half expecting one day to find out Unicorns are real too.

I've still yet to meet a single person who knew about Narwhals until they read about them on the internet and find it incredibly difficult to believe nobody would teach their child about such a fantastic creature (if they really do exist)

Narwhals have been around for quite some time.
One of my first experiences with them was the Ralph Bakshi animated movie "The Last Unicorn". Being a child that loved fantasy AND science I found out that Narwhals were indeed real. That was in 1983. A flaming bull drove all of the Unicorns into the sea and they became narwhals. I was seven. I needed to know the truth. So I researched in the library and learned more about marine mammals than a seven year old Nebraska boy should have known.
edit on 10-8-2016 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

As to the OP...The only one I can scream to the rafters for is the Berenstein Bears thing. if it had been "stain" on the books I would never have read it "stein".

I also remember commercials for old people pissing themselves back in the day, "Get back into Life with Depend". But there could have totally been an "s" on that. But if reality shift is just children's books and adult diapers...I think we're doing okay.
edit on 10-8-2016 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: Pearj
I have yet to read anything that relates directly to the points (and questions) in my post.

I address the whole "can't use memory as an excuse" fallacy on my first reply.

Maybe you missed it? It was the post below the one about how memory can't possibly be the reason people are remembering things wrong.

...or maybe he just forgot! ;-)

As for the premise of the OP and memory becoming knowledge, I can agree with that, but I don't agree that everything one believes one "knows" is actually correct.

For years, I *knew* a scene in my head from when I was about 2 years old and our elderly Beagle had finally had enough of having kids running around. She was growling and snapping at me and my sister. I was on top of the couch to get away from her, my dad had my sister on his shoulders. She wasn't letting up, she had guy the breaking point after going most of her life with no kids around. The story came up as a memory my entire family, aside from my younger brother had recently. Everyone but me was certain it was my sister on the couch, and me on my dad's shoulders.

Some of the Mandela Effects have really stumped me, but I've noticed a key feature of all of them: the "old way" is almost always the way that makes more sense, whether it be a line from a movie, whether the bears are Jewish or sloppy ('stein / 'stain), or the spelling of a hillbilly singer's name. The only one that still gives me a bit of the ol' Dub-T-F is "Magic mirror on the wall", but at this point, I feel confident enough in all the others being legit and misremembered because they're not the expected spelling/saying, etc, and so that one is probably legit, and remembered wrong, therefore, my "knowing" it to be *mirror, mirror* was probably wrong knowledge as well.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

not to hurt your new confidence or maybe it is..

The translated disney movie STILL says mirror mirror in at least Dutch and Portuguese

the 1970s disney book still says mirror mirror

me and another poster had similar weirrdnesses involving these effects and wondered if it's a psyop.
He turned me onto looking for translations. For instance interview with a vampire is still that in other languages.

I'm trying to prove both sides and I came to a similar conclusion as you, that the "changes" go from what would make more sense, to something that feels odd. That would be what you expect if it's a memory issue. but then I never let things go. Always curious haha.

So anyway, I am watching some silly ME thing.

what made it weird was the next day I received this with my pizza..

Probably just an odd coincidence..

but it feels

"psy-op-ish"

And now to jump headfirst into the rabbit hole.. Paranoia!

Those who notice these silly changes.. They are tests to see who is responding to mind control and who isn't.
By admitting you notice something's up they, the archons or shapeshifting lizard men or hillarys henchmen(I like that one) know to put you on the list for reconditioning.

hahaha
I'm kidding for the most part, but...
I heard this from a game first..

"He who controls the past, commands the future. He who commands the future, conquers the past."
— Kane paraphrasing a famous line from Nineteen Eighty-Four.
edit on 10-8-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Niagra? Sounds as if someone confused a waterfall with virility tablets and it stuck. Which is a problem in itself, because one goes up and the other flows down.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Why do some refuse to admit that their memory can be faulty just like every human.
Why do some refuse to acknowledge this and choose to believe in poppycock?.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
These affected people are well versed in their hobby or trade - and all of them would of been corrected. There's to many of them to dismiss and the number's growing.

Well versed does not mean they are experts. If you talk to the real Star Wars fans club you will learn they all remember 'No'. I contacted them. Why don't you do the same? Contact them, don't believe what anonymous people say online. Contact the actors or Lucasfim Ltd. They are not just well versed, only they can confirm things for you.

As an example, I'm well versed on continental positions. I own a globe; it sits on my desk, and that globe has changed.

Again, well versed does not mean expert. If pilots all across the globe start saying that continents positions have changed, that day I will start thinking something is happening (Same with other experts: geography teachers/lecturers, ship captains, etc). A globe will never give you the extensive knowledge experts have, you need years of studying, research and practice for that.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
USS Narwhal (SS-167) launched in 1928.
en.m.wikipedia.org...(SS-167)

This is what drives me crazy about the parallel universe theory of the Mandela effect. There are a infinite number of parallel universes. Some of those, your double may not exist. However, your double is a self entity to their universe. Why would you remember other persons memories?

If you want to pursue the fraying of universal boundaries still, you would not have one overpowering memory of Mandela dying in prison. You would have infinite memories of Mandela. One in which there was no Mandela as a President of South Africa. Another might be Mandela was homosexual. Another, he was assassinated as president. Another memory could be Mandela was a women. Bottom line, there would be an overwhelming number of conflicting memories each equally as powerful.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

Why ask what we think as all you will do disregard what is said unless it agrees with your fantasy of the mandela effect.

Happened in your previous thread and it will happen here.

Here you go you might not want to read this...but you should.

darwinsfinch.wordpress.com...

Also look up Dr. Henry Roediger...he is one of the foremost experts on false memory in the US.

Here you go I feel nice today...in case you don't want to look him up.

psych.wustl.edu...

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Interview with THE Vampire...always was and always will be and my battered, old copy agrees with me.
Rod Serling...always was and always will be.

Faulty memories become 'knowledge' and the Internet, soundbite-society that we live in, means that faulty memory spreads like wildfire and is accepted as the truth. My spelling capabilty is suffering, due to the spell-check on my laptop making me lazy and, more tellingly, begin to doubt the accuracy of what I am writing.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

It was a brown 1972 chevy Nova with a tan interior.

It's a stupid question that is in no way relatable to the phenomena...

I've likened it to the following statement...

In many instances, ME can be likened to driving down the same road twice a day for 10 years and then driving down the same road again and there being a stop sign right in the middle of the road. You go and say wow, I wonder when they put that stop sign in and everyone saying "That stop sign has been there for 15 years".

Your ridiculous notion that a short term memory from 35 years ago that you would have no reason to remember accurately can be likened to the above is ludicrous...

However, that being said, the above is absolutely the answer to your question posed to me. 3 days after my fourth birthday, the car I saw was a 72 brown chevy nova with a tan interior...

You know how I know that????

Because it was my papaw's car that was broken down in the driveway when I was living with him from just before my fourth birthday until my 6th birthday that I saw every day and that I loved for some reason...

Jaden

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Actually, it's very relevant.

People harp on about long term memory and ME. Then they harp on about short term memory and ME. Both long term and short term memories are fallible.

The OP dismisses memory being an issue because "reasons". Memory is one of the main proponents of the ME effect as 90% of these "timeline shift" reasons are faulty memory.

Some people just have the need to not accept it and claim some magical, mystical thing instead of admitting they're human.

ME is nothing more than a cop out as it doesn't have any proof.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

What's your name? Did you forget it? Come on that's not really your name. See I have a piece of paper right here that says your name is Mike Hunt...Why can't you just acknowledge that your memory can be faulty and that's not really your name that you remember????

People are so stupid...just acknowledge your memory can be faulty...

Jaden

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I didn't harp on the difference between long term and short term memory. I harped on the reasoning of a non memorable single experienced memory versus a repeated, focused, long term memory and your highly irrational and illogical attempt at using it as an example.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

I didn't harp on the difference between long term and short term memory. I harped on the reasoning of a non memorable single experienced memory versus a repeated, focused, long term memory and your highly irrational and illogical attempt at using it as an example.

Jaden

According to you. One of the "special people".

You lot try everything so this unprovable effect can be real. It's really sad to watch grown adults crying that their memories cat be wrong.

Boo-hoo.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

First off, the multiple universes theory is just a single possible explanation. Just because people dismiss faulty memory as not being comprehensive enough of an explanation does NOT mean they automatically believe it to be an alternate timeline...

Secondly, it wouldn't be a different person, it would be YOU... You would have to know WHAT you are to have an understanding of what would cause you to remember the alternate history.

You could possibly be the frequency of energy that your bodies nervous system is generating and partially capturing. If that's the case, it's quite plausible that some memories and or experiences can shift for various reasons between these realities.

The truth is that we know so little about our reality, that there can be a mulititude of potential explanations that are equally plausible because really the imbecilic notion that all ME events can be dismissed as faulty memories given all the factors and the numbers of people with the same wrong memories just doesn't cut it.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I haven't claimed to be a special person. I am as has been proven by memory tests, iq tests, etc...but that's really besides the point. You are failing on a logical basis not because I am "special"...

Jaden

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

I haven't claimed to be a special person. I am as has been proven by memory tests, iq tests, etc...but that's really besides the point. You are failing on a logical basis not because I am "special"...

Jaden

Really? I'm the one failing at "logic"?

Thousands of studies done on faulty memory over a few hundred years.

Zero studies done on the ME because of the way it is.

Which one to believe? The one that you can prove, or the one that is a reason to dismiss being human?

Let's see...

Unicorns did it.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

It is a mass delusion, people who make up a reality in which they are not fallible.
Maybe a symptom of modern life?.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

It is a mass delusion, people who make up a reality in which they are not fallible.
Maybe a symptom of modern life?.

I actually think it's a symptom of the Internet.

Before the Internet, people used to use books and other people for knowledge. If they got taught something wrong, or misinterpreted it, someone would try and correct them with other books and other people.

Now there's the Internet. People watch YouTube videos and read stuff on websites. They don't always get their information from "reliable sources". Now, instead of someone showing them their errors and it being accepted, they go to google, YouTube and conspiracy sites to find people who remember the same thing.

The ME is only still around because of the Internet and confirmation bias.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join