It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - Trusting Your Memory - When Memory Becomes Knowledge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll For instance, you hear them called 'Depends' by everyone and you think that's what they're called. They're not, though.

originally posted by: schuyler And yet it was always Rod Serling, not Rod Sterling.

originally posted by: Agartha If you talk to the real Star Wars fans club you will learn they all remember 'No'. [..] only they can confirm things for you.

originally posted by: neutronflux USS Narwhal (SS-167) launched in 1928.

originally posted by: fromtheskydown Interview with THE Vampire...always was and always will be and my battered, old copy agrees with me.

Awesome. From the OP:

originally posted by: Pearj

When researching the Mandela Effect, you'll notice an abundance of people telling you you're wrong - because memory is fallible and current facts don't support you. This post is in opposition to that, yet you'll find the same reasoning in response to it.

'Facts don't support you' (in relation to the Mandela Effect) can be dismissed, as a known aspect of the Mandela Effect involves facts changing for some and not for others.

originally posted by: TerryDon79 So you can dismiss the "memory is fallible" argument? OK. What was the [..] car that you saw 3 days after your 4th birthday

originally posted by: dogstar23 For years, I *knew* a scene in my head from when I was about 2 years old [..]

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom Why do some refuse to admit that their memory can be faulty just like every human.

originally posted by: TerryDon79 Maybe you missed it? It was the post below the one about how memory can't possibly be the reason people are remembering things wrong.

originally posted by: dogstar23 I don't agree that everything one believes one "knows" is actually correct.

Dismiss the memory argument? Childhood memories? 'Refuse to admit'? Here's what I actually said, each in turn:

'Facts don't support you' (in relation to the Mandela Effect) can be dismissed,

These affected people are well versed in their hobby or trade [..] Bible scholars [..] film geeks [..] seasoned musicians

Trust you know when something remembered could be flimsy, and when it's fact.

[This post is] based on (and raises the topic of) the fact that memory is a part of the learning process, which in turn becomes knowledge.

Yes, I know people make spelling errors. Yes I know errors get published. Yes I know song lyrics can be misheard. Understand this post is not about "the commonality of mistakes".

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h Why ask what we think as all you will do disregard what is said unless it agrees with your fantasy of the mandela effect.

Happened in your previous thread and it will happen here.

Why ask what people think about the topic I raised? Because I'm interested.

You've haven't talked about the topics I posted, so it's easy to disregard.

What happened in the previous thread will surely happen here; is off-topic chatter and insults.

The better question is why don't you answer questions from either topic, or the direct followup question asked to you twice?

It's ok if you don't answer, obviously the topic's not 'valid' to you. What I don't get is why (after stating your opinion) do you continue?

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79 So you can dismiss the "memory is fallible" argument? OK. What was the [..] car that you saw 3 days after your 4th birthday

originally posted by: dogstar23 For years, I *knew* a scene in my head from when I was about 2 years old [..]

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom Why do some refuse to admit that their memory can be faulty just like every human.

originally posted by: TerryDon79 Maybe you missed it? It was the post below the one about how memory can't possibly be the reason people are remembering things wrong.

originally posted by: dogstar23 I don't agree that everything one believes one "knows" is actually correct.

Dismiss the memory argument? Childhood memories? 'Refuse to admit'? Here's what I actually said, each in turn:

'Facts don't support you' (in relation to the Mandela Effect) can be dismissed,

These affected people are well versed in their hobby or trade [..] Bible scholars [..] film geeks [..] seasoned musicians

Trust you know when something remembered could be flimsy, and when it's fact.

[This post is] based on (and raises the topic of) the fact that memory is a part of the learning process, which in turn becomes knowledge.

Yes, I know people make spelling errors. Yes I know errors get published. Yes I know song lyrics can be misheard. Understand this post is not about "the commonality of mistakes".

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h Why ask what we think as all you will do disregard what is said unless it agrees with your fantasy of the mandela effect.

Happened in your previous thread and it will happen here.

Why ask what people think about the topic I raised? Because I'm interested.

You've haven't talked about the topics I posted, so it's easy to disregard.

What happened in the previous thread will surely happen here; is off-topic chatter and insults.

The better question is why don't you answer questions from either topic, or the direct followup question asked to you twice?

It's ok if you don't answer, obviously the topic's not 'valid' to you. What I don't get is why (after stating your opinion) do you continue?

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
According to you. One of the "special people".

Is that what all this is about TerryDon79?

Do you feel left out? Let me tell you it's no picnic.

But if you want, try looking through the Mandela Effect videos that list the effects. There's a chance something's listed that you know used to be different.

If there's nothing, then at least you tried. You can always fallback on being supportive of others.

I'd rather be helpful if that's the issue, which it probably isn't.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

There's a few listed on videos that I thought was something else. But guess what? It was because I thought it was something it wasn't.

I don't need a spacey wacey timey wimey special unprovable thing. Do you know how people, normally, deal with it? "Oh well. Guess I was wrong" and then get on with life.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What is muddying the waters is some people are attributing THEIR true faulty memories and misunderstandings to the Mandela Effect, which causes the minimization of the validity and seriousness of the REAL thing.

Interesting OP. At some point, you just KNOW certain things. I don't have to look them up to be certain, because I have used them, read them, examined them, and interacted with them daily or weekly or monthly for a long period of time.

Take for instance the Berenstein/Berenstain bears. I have been asking others about this without telling them why. One man who is way above average in reading, verbal, and written skills was recently a target of my inquiry. I chose him because he is attentive to the written word. He had to be because of the type of job he had.

He read these books to his two kids every night for a long long period of time. He remembers thinking to himself, "funny...a family of Jewish bears" as he looked at the titles to the books.

When I asked him, I asked him in a casual sort of way, like, "do you remember those books with the family of bears...it started with a B?"

"Oh, yeah", he replied. "I read those to the kiddos every night."

"How do you spell their name? Do you remember?"

"B-e-r-e-n-s-t-e-i-n", he said without hesitation.

Then when I told him about the --stain, he was like, "No. You're wrong. I used to think it rather curious that this was a family of Jewish bears."

Then I told him about the ME.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The OP dismisses memory being an issue because "reasons". Memory is one of the main proponents of the ME effect as 90% of these "timeline shift" reasons are faulty memory.

You know I would agree with you on it being faulty memory if it was isolated incidents and people remembering different things but when it's hundreds of thousands even millions of people saying x used y but now it's z then it becomes something much bigger than just faulty memory as they're all remembering it as the same single thing and it is now incorrect.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

The OP dismisses memory being an issue because "reasons". Memory is one of the main proponents of the ME effect as 90% of these "timeline shift" reasons are faulty memory.

You know I would agree with you on it being faulty memory if it was isolated incidents and people remembering different things but when it's hundreds of thousands even millions of people saying x used y but now it's z then it becomes something much bigger than just faulty memory as they're all remembering it as the same single thing and it is now incorrect.

It's all things that are easily misremembered or overlooked.

Spellings of names, locations not being exact, song lyrics and so on.

Tiny little things, never anything major.

You never here of a doctor thinking that the heart was in the wrong place, you never hear of a pilot thinking that Australia is on the wrong place, you never hear of a person saying their name was spelt wrong. You only here of other people remembering them wrong.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

What questions did I not answer as you asked the same question that was answered both times?

You seem to be stuck in a loop that you disregard what is said to try and push whatever it is you are doing with a made up phrase from a kook.

Yes Fiona Broome is the person who started this bs and you fell for it as though it is gospel. Tell you what I gave you a name of someone that you should ask about this...there is a email if you have the actual common sense to use it as this man is one of the top researchers of faulty memory...ask him about the ME and see what he says...if you really want to learn.

Or you can keep believing the ME bs and posting threads about it where you belittle those who don't agree with you...and I think I know what way you will head.

Denying Ignorance really isn't for everybody I see...some just like to push it as we see here and all ME threads.
edit on 12-8-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

Justt going to add a few things you really should read...although you probably won't.

www.theatlantic.com...

www.npr.org...

www.ted.com...

www.edge.org...
edit on 12-8-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
"Interview With A Vampire?" or "Interview With The Vampire?"

^These interviews and movie awards are from when the movie was released (1994/1995). Including the author herself! Why does literally EVERY SINGLE ONE utter "Interview With A Vampire -- including movie award nominations, and the AUTHOR (Anne Rice) HERSELF??? AGAIN, this is when the movie came out.

...NOW, Google the title.
edit on 12-8-2016 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

What? Have you watched the video and listened carefully?
At 2:06 Andy McDowell said Interview with THE vampire.
Next Neil Jordan said Interview with THE vampire.
Then Anne Rice, the author, said THE again!
LOL none of them says 'a'!

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Yes, we've watched the video(s) carefully. There's also videos of James Earl Jones saying "Luke".

originally posted by: Reverbs
So anyway, I am watching some silly ME thing.

what made it weird was the next day I received this with my pizza..

Probably just an odd coincidence..

Dude - that EXACT thing happened to me. We watched the SAME VIDEO, the next day we ordered pizza and got the SAME SONG QUOTE (not joking).

My fiance and I remarked how it was like a 'synchronicity'. Weird.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Really, has nothing to with faulty memory? How many studies proves the unreliability of human memory. How many studies proves Mandela effect. It's not parallel universe because you would be crazy from an infinite number of conflicting memories. What object would carried a memory from a separate being over the boundaries to you? If it's not parallel universe, then what is it?

Sorry this theory is as valid as flat earth. People say they have proof of flat earth too.

People claim to have the same single faulty memory? Ever hear of the power of suggestion or jumping on the band wagon? Major problem of the internet, no accountability for fraudulent academic claims.

No matter how fantastic the claim, the cause is usually the result of something humdrum. As in faulty memory.
edit on 12-8-2016 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Yes, we've watched the video(s) carefully.

The video I was referring to, the one Kromlech posted, they all say 'Interview with THE vampire'.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
To those saying faulty memory - this whole thread is about when memory becomes knowledge through the process of learning.

Do you know your email address?

Understand I'm talking about the kind of knowledge gained by proxy. Like your email address.

Without understanding that, your contributions make it sound like your saying "the foundation of learning is faulty, therefore knowledge is faulty".

If so, then your knowledge is faulty and you have no ground to debate from. (You'd want to look up your email before using it each time.)

You might say "my knowledge is based on provable things". My knowledge was too.

It's not now, and that's the Mandela Effect.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I don't forget things I know. I forget things in passing. If I focus on something like that I took biology in 9th grade.. There is 100% chance I took biology in 9th grade. There is no question. It's those with less memory faculties that think we all have such poor learning and memory abilities. They are the ones easily swayed into the new memory, because it's close enough I guess I was wrong...

Have some confidence.

I'll bring this up as I worked for a company that contracted with a company under DHS. I had a DHS badge.
Anyway..
I was audited once a week. If my memory (can't say what of) was off of 100%, then I would get a second audit. If that audit was below 95% I lost my job.

I have good memory and great confidence as I had to have in the Army under great pressure and amazingly pressured time constraints.

The less intense among us can pass this off, but it's in my nature and training to NEED to be able to see the right answers and keep them in my head.

It would bother me the percentage of people who notice these things, but I let that go the day I left the Army and I was in the airport watching civilians. Better become humble again, cause my expectations are too high after that.

just LOOK.. ( ctrl + ) if you need to zoom in..

www.youtube.com...
edit on 18-8-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Do you know your email address?

No, its just an address, no need to get to know it, I mean if I am really lonely I might buy it drink and see where it leads.

Do you know the result of 2x2?

Yes, it results getting stuck in the mud, you need 4x4.

What shape is a wheel?

Can be any shape you like.

The more round it is the better it will roll however a wheel can be square shaped.

You know a wheel is round because you learned shapes in school (a square won't work).

With enough horsepower you can get square wheels spinning

Would you trust a hard core Star Wars fan to know the iconic line? It's not likely those affected would all have the same wrong memory, but they do.

Concerning the star wars line, no it people claiming to be hardcore fans but actual fans that have shown how faithful they are to the original trilogy have disputed and argues with the so called hardcore fans that quote the line wrong.

Advertisement and products have been shown where the incorrect quotes might have come from.

Lines from movies and songs is the worst way to try and display the ME.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Yeah - but actual fans that have shown how faithful they are to the original trilogy have said it was "Luke".

The conversation has moved passed faulty memory.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Before the Internet, people used to use books and other people for knowledge. If they got taught something wrong, or misinterpreted it, someone would try and correct them with other books and other people.

Which is precisely WHY some people KNOW it's Berenstein.

Honestly, it really is utterly baffling, how threatened some people seem to be, by mere discussion of this phenomenon.

Some advice - the way to avoid discussion that bothers you, is to ignore it completely - instead of bumping it every few minutes like it matters more than anything else in your timeline.

edit on 18-8-2016 by MoonBlossom because: Had a spelling dilemna...

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
In these Mandela threads, why its always some other country which supposedly went through a change of location? I don't see any New Zealanders saying "Wtf, our country wasn't here before!". Everybody please check out your OWN country in the map. If any of you claim it wasn't there before, I'll give Mandela Effect benefit of the doubt. Mine is still sitting at the exact same spot of the Earth

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join