It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revisiting Hillary''s Potentially Patholgical Accent Use

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: reldra

I have this quality also. I love accents. I can easily slip into the jargon and coloration of certain localities just by being with people from those areas, deep south, or Brooklyn Liverpool or Calcutta. Though I'm 70 now it is not a sickness or lack of anything as I have been able to do this since I was a teenager. I think Clinton is just acculturating, not as a trick but rather just as a natural ability to conform with those in proximity.

Definitely. It is a natural ability whether planned or not.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
When will Paul Ryan hold a hearing on Hillary's use of accents?

LOL. I just spit my drink.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: elouina

Yeah. To each their own with how they deal with accents. I have one step cousin was in the North all her childhood, moved to Tennessee as a teen, and her 'hick accent' is thicker than half the people from the cities there. Her own half brothers moved there too, them from practically toddler age, they actually sound 'normal' by my northern counterparts / mostly like how most people sound on TV.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My wife displays these same traits at every occasion she comes into contact with her family from Ireland. Her Irish accent is non-existent under normal circumstances and there is an almost instantaneous change when she is with her family. My children have mentioned it many many times and it has almost become a talking point at such gatherings.

She does not, however, carry her own chilli sauce to family gatherings.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I have a southern accent. So does everyone else in my family. However, my mother is of the emphatic opinion that people equate a southern drawl with ignorance, and does everything in her power to hide her accent. She also insisted that we hide ours too...even when it's just the family talking amongst each other and no one who might hear it and assume we're all illiterate bumpkins is present. The result of this bizarre lifelong phobia is that we all sound like we've got multiple accents going on. Certain words are more difficult than others to speak without sounding blatantly southern. We frequently end up sounding like we might be British, or French, or Canadian, or German...or all of the above at once...with possibly a speech impediment or two thrown in for good measure.

If I had a penny for every occasion in my life that I have been asked where I am from because of the way I speak, I'd probably be on a beach somewhere on my own private island sipping umbrella drinks right now. I've been asked if I'm from California, New York, "Somewhere up North", England, Germany, France, "Somewhere in Europe", Ireland, and the most amusing one of all, "Some Place Exotic-ish".

Hillary Clinton does the exact same thing. She is my mom's age too, so she probably has a similar view of refinement and poise not fitting well with a pronounced southern drawl...and has probably been coached during her political career about it over the years too. If you watch footage from when she was much younger, you can hear how thick her southern accent used to be. I can still hear it, especially when she's in a hurry or really fired up about something, or caught in a candid moment when she forgets for a second to disguise it.

But the the accent variations are the biggest clue to me that she's doing this...she sounds just like my mother, who has been altering her speech for far longer than Hillary has. Some things just seem ingrained though, and the drawl is one of them...if my mother loses her temper, she sounds like she just stepped out from the pages of Gone With the Wind. The same is also true of me, much to the delight and entertainment of my inner circle...they tease me about it mercilessly.
edit on 31276America/ChicagoWed, 10 Aug 2016 18:27:33 -050031pm31222America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Yet, another BARREL SCRAPING thread.

And yet, every anti Trump thread is an earth shaking headline.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Yet, another BARREL SCRAPING thread.

And yet, every anti Trump thread is an earth shaking headline.

What do "anti Trump threads" have to do with Hillary Clinton and her accent? Was there some relevance with Trump detractors to the topic in the OP?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
She got that accent from hanging out with me and my kids last week, thats when she paid me big money to work on ats.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

She also always carries hot sauce! The look on the dj's face when Hillary answers is priceless

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
That's it. Now I am definitely not voting for Hillary.
Thanks you'ins!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Admittedly, I am not a Hillary supporter/fan, but I even can agree her accent changes are not strange. I change my accent without any intent. I instantly pick up accents and meld. Truly, I can say and admit that it is a trait of insecurity...of needing to belong in the moment. My daughters all do this too. I am being objective of my own insecurity or lack of self esteem...but it has proven to be quite an inclusive trait...I will continue. Is it manipulative...possibly...but not intentional! It is a natural habit to belong. Unfortunately, it does come across poorly for Hillary due to her showing she actually is more a follower than a leader. At least to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Its not medical, its mental. Changing character or speech to throw off the pursuers. Whatever the question answer was, you forget it when confronted with the sudden change, making fun, jokingly, to escape the pursuit.

Like a hunter 'smokes' in front of a fire to throw off the scent for game.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

I agree it doesn't take long to pick up accents we do not do it consciously it just happens.
She may be acting a bit but just to appear more likable to the people she is talking to...I don't think it is some medical condition...

You're right. She was in Arkansas for so long, if she visits the South, it may be a MIXTURE of natural and connecting with the audience. Definitely not a medical problem.

Ok, she was an Arkansas resident. Was she also black at one time too?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I have this quality also. I love accents. I can easily slip into the jargon and coloration of certain localities just by being with people from those areas, deep south, or Brooklyn Liverpool or Calcutta. Though I'm 70 now it is not a sickness or lack of anything as I have been able to do this since I was a teenager. I think Clinton is just acculturating, not as a trick but rather just as a natural ability to conform with those in proximity.

As do I. I grew up in Florida, Tennessee, New York and Kansas. I shift accents in a few days of exposure without thinking about it.

Here's the difference: Hillary shows up for an hour. She doesn't speak with the local culture on the road. And she's *really* bad at copying accents.

It's pandering. Not pathological, just really stupid.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

That video of her 'playing' black is a crack up. She changes color right quickly, in church on, "the Lords Day", for "Grover Cleveland", "we got a march to finish" (Referencing MLK).

They cheer anything in the holy roller worship service. They should have tarred and feathered her.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

My own daughter is not black, but in her earlier party days, her 8 black girlfriends had influenced her while clubbing. She even has the whole head shake thing down when she argues! She learned it as a trait to fit in and it is ingrained. She has no control, it is learned behavior. This whole Hillary issue is an extreme non-issue compared to the real issues one can pose against her.

Then, that is really why a Hillary supporter actually started this thread. Distraction from the REAL issues.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That video of her 'playing' black is a crack up. She changes color right quickly, in church on, "the Lords Day", for "Grover Cleveland", "we got a march to finish" (Referencing MLK).

They cheer anything in the holy roller worship service. They should have tarred and feathered her.

I'm surprised she didn't break out some fried chicken, grape soda, watermelon, and Skittles to pander some more. Or do the speech in Al Jolson blackface while singing Mammy.
edit on 8jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

My own daughter is not black, but in her earlier party days, her 8 black girlfriends had influenced her while clubbing. She even has the whole head shake thing down when she argues! She learned it as a trait to fit in and it is ingrained. She has no control, it is learned behavior. This whole Hillary issue is an extreme non-issue compared to the real issues one can pose against her.

Then, that is really why a Hillary supporter actually started this thread. Distraction from the REAL issues.

There is a difference between a learned trait which is ingrained and political pandering on a whim. Hillary is guilty of the latter. And the 'head shake' thing is called 'the cobra'. My daughter does it too.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: intrptr

I'm surprised she didn't break out some fried chicken, grape soda, watermelon, and Skittles to pander some more. Or do the speech in Al Jolson blackface while singing Mammy.

Too much hot sauce in her purse.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
When Hillary goes into her Southern Baptist Minister accent,
could that be called "cultural misappropriation?"

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join