It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pureplaystation : No Man’s Sky Review

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Pureplaystation.com have managed to get their hands on a copy of the game pre-release and decided to publish their review ahead of tomorrow's embargo expiry.
As far as I'm aware this is the first review of the game and a positive one at that , gotta explore em all

I explored the hell out of quite a few planets, some more than others. If a planet was bright and colourful I’d be more inclined to have a look around, search out the creatures and really see what’s on offer. If a planet was a bit dull (and yes, some of them are) then I’d get what I needed (resources) and be on my way.

Speaking of planets, I was actually really impressed with the variety. I’m not one to fall for marketing bull or PR crap, so when the press was all like “procedurally everything!” I was like, yeah, whatever. But it turns out it’s actually true. I can’t be 100% sure, but I’m about 99% sure that I didn’t see the same planet replicated twice. Sure, there are a few common things throughout the universe when it comes to the resources you need to mine, but other than that it’s all unique. Flying dinosaurs, weird critters that bolt past you, horrible beasts that hunt other animals as well as yourself if you don’t take care.

Graphically, don’t expect this to look like anything you’ve seen on PS4 before. It’s not an ugly game – in fact, it’s far from it – but there is an air of simplicity to the game’s presentation. Worlds differ in their appearance and one may be chock full of colour with grass swishing too-and-fro as far as the eye can see, but other may be just hills, rocks, and a few scraps lying around. It’s all a part of the fun, and though the graphics aren’t mind-blowing, they’re perfectly suited to the retro-space-adventure vibe that No Man’s Sky gives off.

Audio. Wow. This game has a soundtrack like no other. Piercing synths drumming around you as you speed through asteroids, space fleets and dog fights. Mellow strings as you wander a strange and unexplored planet. It’s just perfection. I can’t say a single thing wrong in relation to the game’s score, it just fits. I did have a couple of moments where the audio spazzed for a few seconds, but in over 20 hours of gameplay the sound issues occurred just a couple of times, so I can’t really say it’s buggered beyond belief.

No Man's Sky aims to capture your imagination and throw you into an adventure like no game has ever done before. It succeeds in creating a scarily vast universe in which you, the player, feel so tiny and insignificant.
Overall - Fantastic - 8.0/10
pureplaystation.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If only it were an MMO.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

If only it were an MMO.

I thought it was ...
only the universe players are in is so big that they will never meet except if you start the game together.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

If I am not mistaken, it is an MMO, although the chances of running into another player is like one in a billion.
I'm jealous, cause it's not an xbox game yet.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

It's not an MMO but it has online elements , it can also be played offline.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Ah, if only we had the $120 to spring for two copies of it ...

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

O btw.. this just in today..

Sean Murray on Twitter: "PC NMS release will now be global and will be August 12th worldwide.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You can share data about things you find with other users so they can find them too from what I understand, but you cannot actually meet. Now that would be someone amazing. Elite: Dangerous is more like this, but just never got out of its own way in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I was going to get the game despite the reviews.

My only concern was the amount of hours needed to put in to afford or upgrade ships. There was a game called X-2 that took 100 hours just to earn enough to get a corvette and that was only 10% of the cost of a destroyer!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Day-one NMS patch will fix many bugs/exploits, and add new features to the game. Space stations will be more alive with many new sections including BARS1

Also, we will be one step closer to meeting other players in the universe:

Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight.

What they'll be working on next will excite even more players:

Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters.
This universe we’ve built is a pretty large canvas, we’ve got a lot of ideas. This is the type of game we want to be.
www.no-mans-sky.com...

I have a very strong feeling that people will find ways, and quickly, to meet each other for co-op play. It will happen. This is going to be a long week waiting for Friday to arrive (for us PC gamers).

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I have a very strong feeling that people will find ways, and quickly, to meet each other for co-op play.

In space perhaps but the problem with the planets is they are procedurally generated so your planet X would be different to my planet X.
I'm looking forward to the game but have no need to meet anyone , I just want to explore.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wait ... will there be the means for two people who want to play together to start together? Husband and I are hoping this game will allow us that ... the chance to have our own two-person sandbox where we can go around and do whatever strikes our fancy for a couple hours in an evening. I'm going to have to go check through the features on my Steam page again.

Ah, crap! There isn't. Now I'm not sure we need it. We wanted to play this together.
edit on 7-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can still play it together but using the same ship , one's the pilot and the other an explorer / gatherer on the planet.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yeah, but we each have our own comp. We were hoping for some kind of LAN or something. We each like having our own peripherals and stuff. Believe me, we get all kinds of crotchety over keyboard and mouse!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
In space perhaps but the problem with the planets is they are procedurally generated

That's not the way procedural generation will work in this game. Unlike other games like Minecraft where you can enter your own seed to make a unique procedurally-generated world, everyone will have the same seed in NMS. Once a planet/star system has been generated, it will be the same for everyone who comes to explore it afterwards.

The devs have repeatedly discussed about people meeting or passing each other on planets.

originally posted by: gortex
your planet X would be different to my planet X.

Everyone's starting planet will be different because everyone will be scattered throughout the different galaxies. But as far as something you discover, it will be visible and explorable by all. Everything generated will be the same for everyone.

edit on 7-8-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Wait ... will there be the means for two people who want to play together to start together?

Although it is hinted that it will come in the future, there's currently no way for people to meet up or start together. Keep an eye on Reddit, though, as people will discover ways of meeting up to play together.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I can't wait!!

Just a few more days to go! I will need to prepare some snacks and caffeine

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hmmm, we are discussing it. RIght now, it looks like we are likely in for at least one copy. Now the question is: can you start two games off one copy? And if you do, could you pick up one of those games out of a newly purchased copy? Sort of like game accounts on an MMO?

If that would work, we could buy one copy and each start our own account and game and pass back and forth until we can find a way to link up or one is added and then buy a second copy to start running the two accounts simultaneously.

That, of course, assumes you access the world via an account with the software.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Few things.

Murray stated ps4 would habe a map where you can see friends.

Also, there are numerous galaxies, and all players stsrt in galaxy 1. So the chance of finding others isnt quite as improbable as some are suggesting.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Forgive me if too far off-topic:

But where's the FF7 remake?!?!

That's the only gaming news I'm looking for these days.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join