It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best guitar player?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

That's more than I expected from Yngwie on a male
variety of date rape drug. Otherwise words fail me.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Just try to remain focused on the music:

If you can.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Posting videos that pull from me these types of feelings are usually against most forums T&C.

I think I found my new crush.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: Toolman18

I love it when people ask this question and then answer it with the names of rock guitarists.

Rock guitar is pretty basic stuff, technically and musically speaking. The technique is a simplified version of blues playing. And as Marshall Chess once put it: 'The blues is a music of bare competence, and these guys are barely competent.'

The most difficult guitar styles are rockabilly and flamenco.

SRV was a great player because he transcended his style, but let's face it: he took most of his best licks from Glenn Miller.

Shouldn't the most important criterion for an answer be what moves you? what speaks to you?

Who cares if it isn't 'competent' demonstration blah blah blah.

There's room for all musicians and their styles of expression. Get over yourself!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Simple music moves simple minds.

Sophisticated souls need something more than the sound of an overgrown adolescent frotting his fretboard.

I like Jimmy Page too. Get over yourself.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Ambidextrous in leather, my my!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Todd Park Morr.....he's big head todd of the monsters...3 hour show at red rocks Colorado
am I right??

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I like how people dis rock guitarists and well known pickers as pop. I certainly don't turn my mix on Satriani or Chet Atkins when I'm mowing. Technically good is just that. But you stil have to make music people want to hear. That's the most important part of being a musician.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Exactly.

Rock does something the 'hoity toity' guitar virtuosos don't do--they connect with the common man.

Frankly, it doesn't matter in the eyes of the critics, the pundits, the experts...what matters is that a musician has an audience.

Rock guitarists have plenty of fans. And the fans feel the energy.

That makes a pretty damn good guitarist in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
There's no such thing as the best guitarist ever. It's subjective.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I don't know if Tuck Andress and Stanley Jordan can be classified as 'hoity toity' guitar virtuosos, anyways they're still fun to watch and listen to.

Here's their respective cover of Over the Rainbow:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
There are too many great guitarists out there,and there are even more than there used to be considering how easy it is now to stream music,videos and even guitar lessons online

I like bebop phrases in my blues but still admire and respect the more boxed in players

Any player who has his own voice on guitar that expresses themselves freely without constraints with an expansive vocabulary is a great player to me regardless of technical proficiency that others have but who lack their own voice and just blend into the stereotype guitarist in every genre

I like rock,metal,blues,jazz,classical and country

What floats my boat might not float your boat and that's cool

My list and in no order
Johnny Hiland
Bret Garsed
Andy Timmons
Greg Howe
Eric Johnson
Carl veheyen

These guys (some very long in the tooth ) just speak volumes when they play

From the non commercial guys who just play guitar for fun and uploaded to websites years ago Chad Coggin will always be the guy who could play it all,hang with the big guys if he wanted too but never went down that road.

For the post above about somewhere over the rainbow,man I love that track

I did a rock version years ago with some instructional vids before YouTube existed when a friend kindly put them on his website and the Chinese just loved it-stealing all the vids and that song was on Chinese streaming sites:-/ it's good to know I inspired some Chinese players to pick up a guitar and learn it just by me posting ages ago for my friends

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

i see your post and raise you anna vidovic

there are some amazing players out there.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Robert Johnson was the greatest guitarist that ever lived.

Many of the guitarist others have named in this thread took their inspiration from him.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

If influence is the criterion, then you are absolutely right.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Django Reinhardt. Woo... there's a good one... That guy was off the hook before off the hook was anything at all.

But, I gotta give my love to Paco De Lucia...May he rest in peace.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 6-8-2016 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
For astonishing speed and beauty, on electric guitar, has to be Yngwie Malmsteen.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Dot Wiggin of The Shaggs is the greatest. It's not even debateable.

edit on 6-8-2016 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Robert Johnson was a drunk hobo and anyone telling you that out of tune guitar is the best ever doesn't have ears

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18

Robert Johnson was a drunk hobo and anyone telling you that out of tune guitar is the best ever doesn't have ears

what!!!!!

i dont agree with this.
it is widely recognized that while not considered the 'best' guitarist he is generally considered the most important/influential blues guitarist of all time.
it is about what he played, how he played it and when he was doing it.

he would use voicings not really heard before.

of course the whole urban legend surrounding his death and deal with the devil has made him a household name to a lot.
kind of like a faust type of 'character'

i know i mentioned frank zappa but he is not your typical rock guitarist but it bothers me too when these discussions and conversations come out and people start throwing out these rock guitar dudes.

a lot of guitarist usually mentioned i would not even consider letting in my top 50.
music is subjective though so there is that

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join