It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Muslim woman detained under terror laws after cabin crew report her reading Syrian art book

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

A Muslim NHS worker was detained at a UK airport and questioned under terror laws after a cabin crew member spotted her reading a Syrian culture book on board her honeymoon flight.

Faizah Shaheen, who helps prevent teenage mental health patients from becoming radicalised, was returning from honeymoon in Marmaris, Turkey, when she was stopped by South Yorkshire Police at Doncaster Airport on 25 July. Police officers questioned her for 15 minutes under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act and told her the suspicions related to the holiday book she had been reading – Syria Speaks: Art and Culture from the Frontline.

British Muslim woman detained under terror laws after cabin crew report her reading Syrian art book on plane

Who ever the cabin crew member was they are idiotic. This is what the front cover of the book looks like.

In Syria, culture has become a critical line of defence against tyranny. Syria Speaks is a celebration of a people determined to reclaim their dignity, freedom and self-expression. It showcases the work of over fifty artists and writers who are challenging the culture of violence in Syria. Their literature, poems and songs, cartoons, political posters and photographs document and interpret the momentous changes that have shifted the frame of reality so drastically in Syria. Moving and inspiring, Syria Speaks is testament to the courage, creativity and imagination of the Syrian people.

source

I think the cabin crew member shaved the cat on this one. Blame the 'If you see something , say something' mentality which has instilled subconscious fear onto the whole scope of human behavior.

edit on 4-8-2016 by Tindalos2013 because: mistakenly thought there was an error with my post. No error found. phew!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The terrorists are winning. People are terrified of completely innocent people doing completely innocent things.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Demonstrates the training people receive to 'spot' terrorism. Islam=Terror

If it looks arab its suspicious. If you see something say something.

Mass Media indoctrination is having its desired affect.

Are the camps being constructed yet?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Would you be on the lookout for white muslim terrorists? It is a difficult situation, I think always best to say something! So the woman was questioned for 15 minutes, boo hoo... If it had of been a terrorist the cabin crew would have been heroes. I would bet from the synopsis of the book that it has bloody scenes of violence in by the artists seeing as that is the topic it discusses. I can see how you could get the wrong end of the stick and probably not a good idea for anyone to take a book like this on a plane. Or any imagery of violence even if the point of the imagery is to deter violence.

Just not a smart move but all is well that ends well... I see no harm done.
edit on 4-8-2016 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Meee32
I know but think about it. The cabin crew saw a book with a funny cover and reacted. If the lady indeed had been a terrorist about to pull something the last thing she would do is tip off the crew beforehand by reading 'Jihad 101'.

Fraidycats conditioned by too much islamaphobia.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
The terrorists are winning.

More like neck and neck with stupid people.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I won't post links here, but from what I've seen via Google Images, some of the artwork in the book is graphic, disturbing and features weaponry -- in other words, grim artistic depictions of the horrors Syrians have had to live with for years.

Without knowing all the circumstances, I can't speak to whether a detention was justified. However, given the current climate, I can envision quite a few situations where someone reading a book like that in plain view of other passengers on an airplane could give people the wrong idea.

Just my two bits, YMMV.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I don't know why they just didn't ask her about it or had a closer look.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Majic

It would have been more suspect if she was trying to hide what she was reading.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Even here on this site we see people calling for it, the voices are seemingly getting louder...

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Meee32
I know but think about it. The cabin crew saw a book with a funny cover and reacted. If the lady indeed had been a terrorist about to pull something the last thing she would do is tip off the crew beforehand by reading 'Jihad 101'.

Fraidycats conditioned by too much islamaphobia.

Maybe they never saw the cover? Maybe it was the images inside that gave them some concern? I think they were rightfully concerned and it was better they said something. The fact is muslims are causing a lot of problems all over the place now, but I bet if you took some book on a plane that had violence depicted the crew would report you too.

What if you saw something suspicious, would you not say anything in fear of being called a racist? That is scarier to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32
What if you saw something suspicious, would you not say anything in fear of being called a racist? That is scarier to me.

Define suspicious and how suspicious are we talking?

Brown person reading a book suspicious? Or brown person assembling electronics in an airplane bathroom suspicious?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Define suspicious and how suspicious are we talking?

Brown person reading a book suspicious? Or brown person assembling electronics in an airplane bathroom suspicious?

Well that's just it, suspicion is subjective, but always better to go on the side of caution no? This wasn't just a "book", it was a book full of graphic, bloody images... I mean you have to see how that would make some people nervous, maybe you would be fine and think nothing of it but there are others that think differently.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Well that's just it, suspicion is subjective, but always better to go on the side of caution no? .

Is it?

You could use that argument to justify some very scary things.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Well that's just it, suspicion is subjective, but always better to go on the side of caution no? .

Is it?

You could use that argument to justify some very scary things.

It is yes, but as long as you can reasonably articulate your suspicion it's all good... I think there is a reasonable argument for suspicion here, at least to ask her some questions. They did and there was clearly no threat and so she was on her way in 15 minutes. I really don't see the big deal here.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tindalos2013

A Muslim NHS worker was detained at a UK airport and questioned under terror laws after a cabin crew member spotted her reading a Syrian culture book on board her honeymoon flight.

Who ever the cabin crew member was they are idiotic. This is what the front cover of the book looks like.

You know, I can see how, in this seemingly global state of paranoia, someone could see that frontcover and that title and believe it to be something else. It is horrible that we ARE in this state, but we are.

I do not think the flightcrew member did something wrong. She or he MUST act, if they have any suspicion. It is up to the authorities to determine if anything further should come of it. Blaming it on the flight crew is just scapegoating.

Also, if the police officers involved gave her a proper apology and explanation, I think little harm was done. The whole ordeal was over in 15 minutes - she was asked, she answered, they said "oh okay, on you go".

I am a Dane, but do not look like your typical viking, and have thus been singled out in airports for "random checks" of passport or luggage all my life. And yeah, I guess I am supposed to be offended.

But I am not.
Really, why should I be?

Profiling works. It is a fact. It is nothing personal. In fact it is the opposite of personal. Airport security should use any and all technique to maximise their accuracy in spotting threats or illegals on site. It would be foolish to disallow a useful tool on the grounds that it is offensive to some. As long as I am being treated with as much (or little) politeness and respect as anybody else. And I am.

Now, I think that regarding airports/planes the perceived threat level is waaay to high, bordering on the silly. So if anything, THAT would be my complaint - not the actions of flight crew or police.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is happening to Arab Muslims all over the world lately.
It's a bit ridiculous.
But not unexpected.

Add to that its a graphic book you can see why it happened.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Arab Muslims are mass murdering people all over the world too.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: intrptr

Even here on this site we see people calling for it, the voices are seemingly getting louder...

The EU is reeling under a flood of refugees, remind them who's to blame for it, their gubments.

For the wars, the refugees, the blowback.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Arab Muslims are mass murdering people all over the world too.

You're willfully blind. Nowhere is the death toll (mass murder) higher than the Middle East. We fixed that place reeel good.
edit on 4-8-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join