It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first AR15

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: GodEmperor

I'm not a fan of most sights. I prefer iron sights.

Reliability. The first thing to break when you need them are the gizmos.

Absolutely. That is why I think it's best to get used to the iron sights before you add too much to it. It forces you to get the proper feel for the firearm and it's length.

I'm also not a fan of the AR "glamour" aspect I mentioned earlier. Too many believe it's for showing-off. It's not. It's a firearm.

Yep. Practice, practice. A tool is only as good as the craftsman who wields it.

Pit a modern plinker with a fancy firearm against some old coot with a 30-30, my money is on the woodsman.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Sorry, noob here, what does gun-swiped mean?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm not sure if it's still allowed to hunt feral pigs in my area.

Yeah, had to check.

Report feral hogs, don’t shoot them
mdc.mo.gov...

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

When someone moves the barrel and it passes over your person. Basically pointing the barrel at you for a fraction of a second when moving around.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Oh snap, that's not good. Although I've only ever fired BB gun, I was still taught to point at the ground and NEVER at someone, even when not loaded.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

You'd be surprised at how many people were never taught that.

It does lend a good argument to proper training before being able to own a firearm.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

It's the noise of the shot that sends them scattering the most.

Go primitive, use a bow.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

When someone moves the barrel and it passes over your person. Basically pointing the barrel at you for a fraction of a second when moving around.

And no education, I did a military service, weapons we used ranged from M16 to Kalashnikov, handguns Ranged from Glock17 to Magnum.. I had explosives and antitank education.. We practiced in real life.. And I feel a lot safer with no one carrying a gun or a rifle nearby..

The Nordic military and LEO are taught when you use a gun or a rifle, the intent is to kill.. It's not for fun, there is no fun in having a gun or rifle..

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I know exactly how you feel. Anytime it happens to me I want to walk over a take the damn firearm away from them and tell they can have it back when they learn how to handle it.

But sadly, I can't.

(post by Mandroid7 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Wow, calm down there chief.

I have no intention for a shotgun revolver, and I'm using this thread to get advice on what I should have on it.

I've had my hunter's safety since I was 10 years old, been shooting guns since then as well. Don't own an xbox.

Thanks for the input.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

From the sounds of it, I'd suggest getting it checked. If it was that filthy, take it to a reputable gun smith.

Unless you're buying it straight out of the manufacturers box, you don't really know what kind of shape it's in.

Safety. Safety. Safety.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
don't use an AR15 to shoot squirrels. The round goes way to far to know where it's going to land. You can get an A2 carry handle and an iron sight for the front rail. (The handle has the rear sight in it.) Practice often, take the weapon down and clean it often as well.

And if you like golf, there is this:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Have I got a red dot sight for you,it's micro thermal sight..www.sportsmansguide.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Wasn't planning on shooting squirrels out of trees, FMJ can go through a lot of things before stopping.

Should have clarified, only squirrels/armadillos/etc on the ground where I know it will be hitting on the ground when bullet passes through.

It's pretty hilly around here, but it's still good to know what's around for miles.

I can't believe someone actually came up with a golf ball launcher for an AR.... lol, I don't golf much but that could be something to take up.
edit on 23-7-2016 by GodEmperor because: golf ball launcher

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Congratulations on your new rifle. Get it cleaned and lubed up and have some fun at the range. I would not use it on deer though. Some states have minimum caliber requirements and .223 is not on the list for some and is the minimum for others. If you go with a red dot optic, also look into a 3x magnifier or just get a fixed power AR scope if you plan on doing any distance shooting. I wouldn't worry about a new barrel or BCG, those should last you a long time. As far as slings, whatever is most comfortable for you is best. I hunt Javelina with my AR and use a cheap standard sling from Walmart and a 3x optic. Look into Vortex Optics.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Well, that isn't a bad price for a thermal sight. However, it's still too much for what I am looking for.

I didn't pay money for the gun, it was a straight up trade.

Looking for a decent scope that's less than $200, and all the iron sights I've looked at are definitely affordable.

I can always put it on my wishlist, probably more feasible than the Ultimate Aero.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You will most likely never have a need for a sight like that anyway. That's the "glamour" garbage I was talking about.

For the same price you can get an excellent iron sight for less than $100 and a brand new sidearm.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well what I used for optics on my .308 POF was a vortex 1-4x which pretty much stays on 4x zoom. Then, and here is the genius part, I got a flashlight mount which was milled aluminum set at a 45° angle which i was able to snug just under the end of the scope. On this I mounted a Burris fast fire micro red dot. This allows me to go from long to short range targeting without losing cheek weld. You simply tilt the rifle a small bit and you are looking down the micro red dot. Vortex make some awesome optics for not super duper expensive prices...which is why I went with them. As far as bipods I think the mako group has the best I've seen. They have a fore grip that has 2 swivel joints which also pops open to a bipod with extendable feet...even has versions with flashlight mount built in. They're a tad expensive side at around 200$ but they're the most solid well thought out design I've found yet. My preference is single point sling but it really is whatever you feel best with and has a lot to do with how you plan to carry or use the rifle. I am currently not home to take pictures but I will link a thread here that has some pics of my baby to give you a few ideas.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Checkout the Bushnell AR optic as well. They are under $200. Or even better is the Vortex Crossfire for around $250 and they have a no questions asked, lifetime warranty.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join