It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first AR15

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hey ATS,

Just got my first AR, it's BCM with KMR. Very nice gun, have collapsible stock, flashlight, handgrip, and muzzle brake.

So I bought it off a coworker who is what I would consider a gun nut, he knows a lot more about the different guns than I do.

Now I took apart the bolt carrier, and too my surprise, it was filthy. The firing pin was virtually all black, I couldn't believe it. I don't know, I just feel that he should know to clean these components. I know military guys are well versed in doing this, I figured every gun nut would at least know to do this even if they haven't been in the military.

The only mods I'm looking to add on this gun is a scope and maybe a bipod, and a sling but not sure what's better a 2 or 1 point. I really like the keymod rail, I would have to say that is an amazing invention. Need a few more mags and I'll be all set.

This gun is definitely ideal for shooting varmints, I'm pretty sure it's legal to shoot deer with the .223 but not sure about 5.56 rounds.

Wondering if any of you guys has some advice on other attachments I should consider, or what scope brands to consider. Would be nice to have a revolver shotgun attachment, but that seems like a bit overkill; although it does look b/a.

The thing I find humorous about the gun is the safety, It has safe, then instead of flipping it to fire it has stamped on it 'Don't give a sh*t'. Haven't test fired it yet, need a cleaning kit so I can get down in the barrel, but when I do those fat red squirrels are about to go extinct.

I'll probably need a spare bolt carrier group, and barrel, not planning on selling this thing any time soon.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Niiice. Any optics you're interested in? I don't have one myself, but I know there are many after market add ons out there.

edit on 23-7-2016 by DAVID64 because: Not enough coffee yet

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I am considering a red dot sight, I'm not really familiar with what the quality brands are. Although, a green laser light would be ideal I think. I guess the two main mods would be a decent scope, and either the red dot or green laser.

I did take a picture of it just now, since I recently remembered how to upload pics. Although I can only take pics with laptop, using movie maker then saving a snapshot of a frame.

edit on 23-7-2016 by GodEmperor because: edit

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

What is the firearm chambered for, 223 or 5.56?

If it's 223, stick to 223. Shooting 5.56's out of a 223 chambered rifle extensively can lead to malfunctions.

If it's chambered for 5.56, shoot whatever you like.

Also, don't get caught up in the "glamour" of the AR. Yes, you can add all sorts of bells and whistles but they wont necessarily make you a better shot. Get used to the firearm bare bones and only add the accessories you really need.

Too many AR owners treat their firearm like its a harley or a sports car that has to be decked-out to be shown off. That is not what a firearm is for.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Where i live, most people getting this kind of gun are considered up to no good.. But it aint hard seeing how the US got 13k firearm related deaths when apparently anyone can get one..

I do see a problem with anyone who is on a conspiracy site having a AR15, but hey its just me.. or maybe the aliens, or the illuminati, or the Angels...

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Carbon fouling and poor maintenance can lead to pitting and tolerance problems. If the previous owner fired it that much without cleaning it best to get a head space gauge test to make sure the barrel chamber is still in tolerance.

The barrel itself too, for pitting and wear, especially the muzzle.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's .223/5.56, I have the 223 rounds for it.

Will take the advice, although it definitely needs some kind of sights, is there anything you would recommend?

I agree, the bells and whistles for the most part are unnecessary, but it's nice to know I can add a variety onto this weapon system.

I'm proficient with open sights on rifles, haven't really used a scope that much, and never used a reflex/red dot.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Do most gun shops do those tests, or sell those gauges? Sounds like I should definitely check into that first.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I'm not a fan of most sights. I prefer iron sights.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
a reply to: intrptr

Do most gun shops do those tests? Sounds like I should definitely check into that first.

Anyone with a gun smith. They will go over it for you, for a fee.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Red dots are OK but not nearly as accurate as good glass; IMO they are more for close quarter shooting.. Also if you have astigmatism your dot will end up looking like a daisy. Back in my shooting days I have had many different brands to include Aimspoint and Eotech red dots. Vortex make great red dots for less than half the price of the other two. If you are young and your eyes are still good then just about anything to include Iron sights work. One cleaning tool you should consider is a snake. It is a rope with a brass tip that goes down the barrel and all you do is pull it through; works great and just a few drops of oil on the snake and wallah the barrel is clean.

If you want to shoot varmints get a scope with a very fine cross hair sight. Then you will have to figure out how to sight your new weapon in,, I suggest you check out some youtube videos on sighting the weapon in.. Otherwise congratulations.

P.S. Bi-pods are heavy and slings are a matter of taste. I hunted feral pigs and after you lug a weapon around for awhile weight becomes a factor. Stay light and stay safe....enjoy.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Not looking for this kind of discussion.

Majority of gun deaths are from handguns, that fact alone leaves your comment suspect.

I know a lot of doctors and lawyers who own these types of weapons, I would suggest you find some better friends.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Where i live, most people getting this kind of gun are considered up to no good..

Judge people by what they buy a lot, do ya?
And they call us gun owners paranoid.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Reliability. The first thing to break when you need them are the gizmos.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks for the info!

The feral pigs are pretty bad just south from here, last year we got a lot of pamphlets from the forest service giving the green light to shoot the feral pigs, but now I guess it's not ok because shooting one makes the rest scatter and spread.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That pretty much settles it for me, I'm going with iron sights, and maybe keep an eye on scopes if a great deal ever comes up.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Absolutely. That is why I think it's best to get used to the iron sights before you add too much to it. It forces you to get the proper feel for the firearm and it's length.

I'm also not a fan of the AR "glamour" aspect I mentioned earlier. Too many believe it's for showing-off. It's not. It's a firearm.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks for the info!

The feral pigs are pretty bad just south from here, last year we got a lot of pamphlets from the forest service giving the green light to shoot the feral pigs, but now I guess it's not ok because shooting one makes the rest scatter and spread.

They are going to spread regardless unless you can get a mountain Lion in your area. They can out breed most animals and eat anything and everything....

I hunted at night with a night scope and on a good night (always two of us) we could drop six to eight but we kinda knew what we were doing..

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

There's a national forest park about 30 minutes drive south from where I live, it has a gun range. I don't go there because some of those guys are complete idiots. It's an uneasy feeling getting gun-swiped, no matter if there is a round chambered or not. Not to sound sexist, but I've noticed a higher percentage of women do this, and it's really the only time I've ever wanted to slap a woman(not that I would).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join