It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Speaking Out About Police Shootings and Racism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I made it about 3/4 and had to comment...

What's tragic about this video is that these types of revelations by people like her should have been happening a long, long time ago.

The overwhelming majority of amazingly brave and moral police officers should have been condemning the bad apples right off the bat.

The people put an incredible amount of trust into peace officers, and in order to maintain that trust -- I would hope and pray that racist and criminal elements of police and military forces would be rooted out internally with extreme prejudice.

We the people allow the police the enforce our laws. We fund their departments and pay their salaries. When bad cops are protected and allowed to skate free, it sullies every other man and woman in uniform. It cheapens the badge and devalues the worth of the good works they do every day.

When you sit by idly and don't speak up when you see something wrong in your precinct or department you aren't doing your fellow cop a favor. You are actually disrespecting the community you serve. You are disrespecting the uniform and the badge you carry. You are betraying the trust that the citizens in your community have placed in your hands due to your own negligence.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

"I'm sorry, Jane. While I appreciate you coming to us with a video of Doug stealing from the register, upper management for our store have decided to demote you to floor duty so you won't be a theft risk, as well" How the hell does that make sense?

How does that make sense....hmmm lets break that down a little for you.....

She is not thinking clearly...she owns a firearm, in fact that firearm is quintessential part of her job, she is showing signs that her emotions are getting the better of her........

When people snap they do really really bad things, that some of us cringe over and wonder how did a person get to that state of mind without anyone stepping in....

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

"I'm sorry, Jane. While I appreciate you coming to us with a video of Doug stealing from the register, upper management for our store have decided to demote you to floor duty so you won't be a theft risk, as well" How the hell does that make sense?

How does that make sense....hmmm lets break that down a little for you.....

She is not thinking clearly...she owns a firearm, in fact that firearm is quintessential part of her job, she is showing signs that her emotions are getting the better of her........

When people snap they do really really bad things, that some of us cringe over and wonder how did a person get to that state of mind without anyone stepping in....

Why do you say she's not thinking clearly? Are you not that upset when cops shoot unarmed civilians who are complying? On film. Over and over and over again.

If not, why not? If not, you are the person I wouldn't want wielding a gun.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: TKDRL

It's worth mentioning that the gun need not be out of his pocket to fire.

Actually that is not true. with baggie pants you can grab a gun from outside your pocket and engage the trigger.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

When you sit by idly and don't speak up when you see something wrong in your precinct or department you aren't doing your fellow cop a favor. You are actually disrespecting the community you serve. You are disrespecting the uniform and the badge you carry. You are betraying the trust that the citizens in your community have placed in your hands due to your own negligence.

Agreed completely.

What percentage of police departments do you think have "good" officers not speaking up when a "bad" officer does wrong?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Agreed completely.

What percentage of police departments do you think have "good" officers not speaking up when a "bad" officer does wrong?

You were one of those few that I mentioned in the OP. Thank you for being an officer.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

You know...I don't have an answer for that. I'd like to believe that the entire issue is being caused by less than 1% of and entire group of professionals.

I know that if I found out about corruption, racism and illegal activity, especially it it meant my personal risk level would rise -- I'd do something.

I'd either quit, or try all the legal means to try and expose it. Easier said than done, right? Well I don't think people realize just how much support whistleblowers would get from their very own communities and the nation at-large. Everyone wants effective and trustworthy law enforcement! I also don't want my good friends who are cops being shot at because of a few horrible examples among their ranks! I'd support those whistleblowers 110%! The people would be behind them too!

It's scary and it takes moral courage to stand up in the face of a system that thrives on "brotherhood" and staying silent and looking the other way. I'm sure there are tales floating in the departments of people who tried and failed -- well, that right there proves we don't have the avenues readily available for cops to report this kind of behavior effectively.

What we need is something like Wikileaks for cops (but legal) and some kind of 3rd party, independent citizen's investigatory arm that can step in and be impartial. We need body cams on cops that are high-quality and who's footage is also not controlled by the people wearing them.

I'm not anti-police. I'm not anti-government. The only thing I'm "anti" against are racist, hateful, lying, cowardly people who hide behind walls of "brotherhood" in corrupt systems...these people only risk their fellow officers and the lives of countless others when the masses snap because nothing is being done to root them out.

In another life if I could have been a cop. Why would I risk my life every day when my co-workers are working to get me killed through their actions?

We need real changes. We need to make tough decisions and overhaul a system that's reluctant and scared of change.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

So you think the entire issue is being caused by less than 1% of police officers? Of course, even one bad officer is too much, but overall that doesn't seem like a lot.

So do you agree that if the number is that low or near, most likely many police officers that are spread throughout many agencies across the country never even witness a bad cop during their career?

I just get tired of hearing "until the good cops turn the bad ones in...". I agree good cops should turn the bad ones in (and they do, I have provided many examples over the years on ATS). To me, that is an arguement that closet cop haters use to try and make it appear as if every officer is either bad or covering for a bad officer. I personally have never witnessed or worked with a "bad" cop in my career.

Ultimately, the human element plays a role in the situation and you know we will never see 100% perfection in anything, even eliminating bad police.

edit on 9-7-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

So if it's only 1% it should be fairly easy for the 99% to identify and turn them in and expose them, correct?

Look, I don't have any beef with you. Props for standing up and having moral courage to do the right thing as you should. Obviously there seems to be some holes or cracks for these bad apples to fall through, and I can't think of anyone better than other police officers to identify and close them.

Cops talk about 'brotherhood' -- well in cases where the public has entrusted you with power over us, you are indeed your 'brother's keeper'.

Look, you chose the job. No one forced you to do it. A few bad apples are ruining the respect and trust you have with the people. Shouldn't all good cops be outraged and want to do something about it? Shouldn't they have always wanted to stand up and let it be known that they aren't like that and work with the public and government to maintain trust and ensure their own safety?
edit on 9-7-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Why do you say she's not thinking clearly?

Did we watch the same video ?...you think she should be walking around in an emotional state with a gun, you don't think she sounds like she may snap ?...

Are you not that upset when cops shoot unarmed civilians who are complying? On film. Over and over and over again.

Very upset this is why i comment on this site when it is bought to my attention....

If not, you are the person I wouldn't want wielding a gun.

I neither have a gun nor do i want to own a gun, i am really happy i left the states and feel free to walk down the street without the fear of some thug with a gun assaulting me.......

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join