It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-Gay Atheist: Here’s why you should stand with Christian Mingle

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: SlapMonkey

If you are going to have a public business, then you must respect equal rights. Not including LGBT is the exact same as putting up a sign out front of your business saying "no blacks allowed".

It is discrimination and now there is no tolerance. Sad that there has to be a law to force people to respect each other

OK, so let me get this straight.

At this point, you are more or less saying that if anyone opens a business, then they operate at the sole whims of their customers and no one else.

It doesn't matter if I open a daycare service and intend to cater solely to children. You see, today, people can go to daycares for adults too. And if someone wants to patronize my daycare for their parent or simply because they are a millennial who feels overwrought and remembers how much fun daycare was ... it is no use for me to tell them my business is only for small children because that is age discrimination on my part.

I must now find a way to accommodate them or risk being sued?

Is that what you are more or less implying?

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Was that straw man incredibly easy to knock over for you?

How convenient.
edit on 5-7-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Good lord, you do love to stretch things.

Children are children. A daycare that caters to children need only cater to children. BUT, they should not turn away Jewish children or Muslim children or transgender children.

Christians are Christians. A dating site that caters to Christians need only cater to Christians. BUT, they should not turn away gay Christians or black Christians or elderly Christians.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

You actually got me curious about whether there is such a double standard, so I did some digging.

Turns out there are not too many but I was able to find three, all of which do accommodate functions that allow males to search males and females to search females.

Mingle2 California Muslim Dating

Sacramento Muslim Dating

IsnaMatrimonials

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

Low and Behold, wonders never cease!

I wonder how they'd fit that in with their belief of Sharia Law though? Just curious.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Uh, yeah - - - when you don't agree with the OP (or article) it must be because you didn't read it.

David Smalley is a Libertarian. A heterosexual Libertarian Atheist to be exact.

Libertarian Party platform on LGBT rights

Libertarian Party platform on LGBT rights. The Libertarian Party of the United States takes the following positions relevant to LGBT rights:

Section 1.3 "Personal Relationships": ---- Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

Section 3.5 "Rights and Discrimination": ---- We condemn bigotry as irrational and repugnant. Government should not deny or abridge any individual's rights based on sex, wealth, race, color, creed, age, national origin, personal habits, political preference or sexual orientation. Parents, or other guardians, have the right to raise their children according to their own standards and beliefs. en.wikipedia.org...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, David Smalley is flexing his politics. Oh Yay!

I DO NOT support the position of Libertarians.

edit on 5-7-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

I wonder how they'd fit that in with their belief of Sharia Law though? Just curious.

Well actually one of the sections in 2 of the sites is whether they believe in sharia "fully, moderately, or not at all".

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot

Well actually one of the sections in 2 of the sites is whether they believe in sharia "fully, moderately, or not at all".

Interesting.. But do you think that Most Moderate Muslims and Christians should forcibly adhere to changing what their own Bibles say because of a small percent of those who disagree on what it means?

Many people don't agree on what these books actually mean and it's caused problems for aeon. Do you think this is a concern for those who 'are' moderate, and if so do you think it's fair to suggest that maybe this small percentage would be happy building their own facilities where they can discuss this amongst those with the same understanding of biblical/religious accounts?

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Well isn't that just the thing about Christian Mingle.

You are allowed to search based on how you feel about drugs, alcohol, and marital status.

Pretty sure the Bible was even more clear on the latter.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Annee

As the author relayed in the story, should he be forced to do voice-over work and provide religious podcasts?

I love how people are buying into the obvious slippery slope fallacy.

Does a secularist podcast have to promote religious ideals? Obviously not. A secularist podcast is readily available to be listened to by religious people already if they choose to do so.

I know. As I just posted, David Smalley is a heterosexual, atheist, Libertarian.

He was an editor at American Atheist Magazine. He's also a graphic designer and an athlete. With a degree in the psychology field. He was raised Evangelical Christian.

He filed for Secular Media Group. LLC in 2011 - - he lives in Texas.

There may be some LGBT Libertarians who agree with his position. LGBT are individuals, they are not clones, or Group Think.

However, anti-discrimination laws (in some states) do not agree with the Libertarian position.

And neither do I.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

christian marriage only counts against the commandments/god if it was performed in a church ceremony. Legal marriage(couple plus the state) is not the same as entering into a holy covenant with god and a partner.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

christian marriage only counts against the commandments/god if it was performed in a church ceremony. Legal marriage(couple plus the state) is not the same as entering into a holy covenant with god and a partner.

There are 3 states that offer Covenant Marriage.

Last time I checked, only 1% of the population of each of those states applied.

Shows you just how important that is.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Well isn't that just the thing about Christian Mingle.

You are allowed to search based on how you feel about drugs, alcohol, and marital status.

I don't go to dating sites so i wouldn't know what the polices for looking based on those things, but it seems reasonable to assume people would want to know who they were dating based on these.

adding this: But about CM .. why can't these groups who are gay create a GCM, wouldn't it just be easier for them instead of trying to force what they demand /want /wish for on others who've already established their own website?

I understand there are dozens x1000 of splinter beliefs within One religion 'whichever that might be'.

But yes, the Bible was very clear on certain things. With that i agree.
edit on 7/5/2016 by awareness10 because: The devil made me do it.

edit on 7/5/2016 by awareness10 because: The Devil made me do it, Twice!

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

And I'm sure some denominations of Christians believe that as well.

Hence why there is an option to filter based on that criteria.

Much like there would be for homosexuals if CM was following the laws of the state that they agreed to abide by.

I'm pretty sure lying on paper isn't very applause-worthy Christian behavior, either.
edit on 5-7-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Divorce is a big NO NO in the bible. And its very clear what it means.

I don't care what the bible says about homosexuality. We know today, sexual orientation is innate.

We also know seizures are not being possessed by the Devil.

Its time to evolve when science/knowledge brings you into the 20th century.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I don't care what the bible says about homosexuality. We know today, sexual orientation is innate.

Annee, Yes divorce is a big no no in the bible, but it's a big no no with other Religions as well. Sexual Orientation is not innate to some Religions like Islam.

What i'm trying to say is that The Good Book and other Religious Books, are Sacred to people who take it seriously and to heart. And trying to change their Books into something 'to them' that it's not, is only going to and is causing a serious Divide.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Annee, Yes divorce is a big no no in the bible, but it's a big no no with other Religions as well. Sexual Orientation is not innate to some Religions like Islam.

What i'm trying to say is that The Good Book and other Religious Books, are Sacred to people who take it seriously and to heart. And trying to change their Books into something 'to them' that it's not, is only going to and is causing a serious Divide.

First off, I was raised Christian. So, I will often speak of Christianity. I don't speak of what I don't know, such as Islam. (except to say I believe people are people, and good people are good people).

The bible justified slavery and abuse of people with dark skin, "Curse of Ham".

When I was a kid Catholic women had to cover their heads to enter the church.

Homosexuality is not a choice or an abomination - - no matter what an ancient scribe says.

Homosexuals are as God made them. And NO, he did not make them that way to challenge them to not act on it.

People evolve, and so has those of religion when they recognize it is no longer appropriate.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Annee

My Reply:

My point being, that there 'are' Religious people who believe their Sacred Writings and Do live by them, and you don't have to be a Christian or a Muslim/Moslem 'as it used to be called', to understand what that means to them. To them
it has Deep Meaning and to have a small % try to change what they Believe deeply will not only cause Division but Anger amongst other things.

I may not agree with the lifestyle, but that's just me. I don't treat people differently for it though. But i am saying this, and you missed my point i believe.

This too i believe is sad, having to change your appearance for 'ANY' Religion is wrong imho.

I'm sorry you were raised in the Catholic Church, i know many people who escaped from it. I do know however know about Christianity, although i'm not Religious anymore in any way. I also know of people who escaped the Islamic Religion.

Obviously that was wrong on many levels. I didn't live 3-4000 yrs ago, so i can't comment on that part.

I cannot comment on this last one because i simply don't believe in God.

People evolve, and so has those of religion when they recognize it is no longer appropriate.

People change, yes. But are they changing because of the Push to force everyone into the same box? This to me isn't change. And the results may become irreconcilable between those who value their Beliefs and those pushing them to change what They Believe is Sacred.

edit on 7/5/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

But i am saying this, and you missed my point i believe.

My point being, that there 'are' Religious people who believe their Sacred Writings and Do live by them, and you don't have to be a Christian or a Muslim/Moslem 'as it used to be called', to understand what that means to them. To them
it has Deep Meaning and to have a small % try to change what they Believe deeply will not only cause Division but Anger amongst other things.

I did not miss your point.

Christian Mingle is a business, not a church.

Belief, according to SCOTUS, is not reason to discriminate.

Churches still have the right to deny homosexuals under Religious Freedom.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
People like this seriously have NO LIFE. If you're gay and wan't to online date go find a gay online dating site it's that easy.

If I was Christian Mingle I wouldn't bow to NO-ONE'S demands I would pick up my server and move across state...problem solved.
edit on 5-7-2016 by BLee8127 because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join