It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

20% of your businesses are looking elsewhere, raised taxes.. And you know that minimum wage, well it's not gonna increase..

No they aren't looking at a free trade treaty, they are looking at possibilities of an easy transition.. It took 6 years to establish a working treaty with Norway, how long do you think yours is gonna take?

But use that money for what? Healthcare? Education? Have fun..

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester
He sure has and I bet he won't ever have to buy a round in the pub again.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Well last time he resigned he took back is job less than a week later so lets see how this goes.

I wonder though why is not staying on to see this through if the UK joins up to the European Economic Area then he would still have a lot of fighting to do as the UK would basically still be in the EU but with pretty much no say on what goes on.

Personally i can't stand the man, I think he is one of the worst politicians this country has ever produced so good riddance.

(ATS Debating novices please note: The above is my personal opinion and is not a statement of fact if you happen to have a different opinion that is fine, i respect your views however it is no more or less valid than my own given that this is not based on fact rather a personal view point.)..... kinda sad i we need disclaimers now.
edit on 4-7-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Yeah, sure.

The EU manufacturers want a tariff free trading arrangement. If the businesses and the unions in a country want the same things, then the politicians give it to them. Every time, else they are out of a job.

Corporation tax has just been lowered to 15% no other taxes have risen.

I'd imagine we will get things sorted in a third of that time. Norway was angling after a long term deal to become an actual member of the EU, we are not.

Whatever savings are made will be down to the government of the day to spend as they see fit. The next General Election might be interesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I can see a backlash of company's that move ship !

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Did David Cameron resign on his own or was he asked to resign by his party?

Second question - I know the UK is a constitutional Monarchy. Does the Queen have the ability to disregard the vote and tell people the UK is remaining in the EU?
edit on 4-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I do wonder if he had to quit in order for the Tories to give him a seat in the Lords and a place at the negotiating table...

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Nothing will change till the negotiations are done, screaming the sky is falling and godzilla will rampage in the streets accomplishes nothing.

UK may end up worse... they may end up in a stronger position nobody knows for certain.

Everything is speculation till the negotiations are done, might want to wait and see what happens before you cry wolf...

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I do wonder if he had to quit in order for the Tories to give him a seat in the Lords and a place at the negotiating table...

nah i doubt it, if he quits, like really quits other than what he did last time, then i think he will bow out of politics in the UK, part of me can understand why he might be doing this. He is a very politically controversial candidate who in the aftermath of the EU vote has taken a lot of criticism over claims he made (or claims that have been attributed to him) and its casting a bit of a dark cloud over the vote. If you look at UK politics right now the only stable main party really is the SNP, thats really not good, so when we should be debating what happens next what is actually happening is that all of the main political parties are squabbling like children amongst themselves as the country slowing slides further down the pan.

I think Farage has just seen this as a opportunity to get out and perhaps to actually try to get out of some of this squabbling. If he leaves and puts himself out of the public eye then the media and Westminster are not going to be talking about how Farage said this and said that and will rather be having a more mature debate on how to bring about the Brexit.

So for that reason i don't think he will become a lord as it will just encourage more of the political squabbling and further distract from the Brexit debate which I don't think is in the interest of any political party or indeed the country.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Complex question.

David Cameron's party were split over Brexit and his side "remain" lost as such his legitimacy as leader if he stayed on would have been questioned so as such one could say he was forced out. However on the other hand David Cameron has said that he believes that because he was such a strong advocate to remain in the EU and the Prime Minister now has to negotiate leaving the EU that job is better done by a leader who believes in leaving the EU and as such has stood down of his own volition.

Really though you could say that the vote was to leave he wanted to remain and the vote forced him to leave.

Second question - I know the UK is a constitutional Monarchy. Does the Queen have the ability to disregard the vote and tell people the UK is remaining in the EU?

All queeny can do is fart in parliament.

There is really nothing she can do about this with out creating some huge constitutional crisis in the UK

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I think, judging by his demeanour during the press conference, you may be right.

Though people who are as driven as he is rarely seem to be content with pottering around the garden for long.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I think, judging by his demeanour during the press conference, you may be right.

Though people who are as driven as he is rarely seem to be content with pottering around the garden for long.

True but quite a lot of politicians seem to leave and then shy away from the lime light.

When did you really last hear of anything really significant from Gordon Brown or Ed Milliband (hell or his brother david).

Conversely however there are others like Alex Salmond who despite leaving as leader still have a high public profile.

Like i said however for the reasons i outlined I think Farage is going to take a big step back, he knows its in the interest of his party now and Brexit.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Well, wasn't that the THIRD time Farage stepped down?
2009 (tried to win his electoral district, lost it)
2015 (took that back after 3 days)
2016 (UKIP is done now, because their topic-target has been reached, right?)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

David M is still hovering.
Gordon is just finished. Pretty much the most unpopular man in the UK save for the Yorkshire Ripper towards the end.

Guess we will just have to see.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

Well, wasn't that the THIRD time Farage stepped down?
2009 (tried to win his electoral district, lost it)
2015 (took that back after 3 days)
2016 (UKIP is done now, because their topic-target has been reached, right?)

The second one was a result of the membership bombarding him with letters asking him to come back.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
I'm starting to wonder about the leave camp and whats really up. Why would you resign after getting what you fought for?

Because of the realisation you absolutely cannot deliver all that was promised or come even close. Some people are still in denial about what should be delivered compared to what can. These millionaires are leaving fast.

Why would Boris refuse leadership?

He didn't. He was stitched up. Gove is not standing for the leader he is there to keep Boris off the candidates list. Watch this space as Gove steps aside before the actual final vote takes place.

Now we have people like Blair hinting at another referendum.. or maneuvering with Europe on the Brexit..

for one reason or another I feel Brexit isn't going to happen

Blair! That well known member of a group of people (anti Corbyn PLP's) who have total respect for democracy
. He along with those PLP's and most of the Tory party belong to a grey suit mob that insist they know what's best for the country and we should leave running it up to them. Voting is a distraction.

I'm a Remainer but the vote must be respected that doesn't mean we should all sing it's praises either. The Tories need to have a brexiter to lead us out of the EU to ensure that they take full responsibility for not delivering what was promised. I have a strong suspicion that brexit light will be implemented by a quiet remainer (Theresa May). Thus allowing the vote to be literally respected but all promises broken by someone who never made them so literally no promises broken either! The ultimate get out for the Tories.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

So when it doesn't happen who's fault is it gonna be?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

We now have 15% corporation tax the lowest of the major economy's.
That will atract businesses to stay and comw here.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Gotcha.. Thank you very much for the response.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

For the millionth time the Queen has no power whatsoever. It's all historical procedure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join