It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Farage resigns: 'I'm not a career politician'

Farage steps down but sets Ukip's sights on disenchanted Labour voters.

"Tough though it has been at times it has definitely all been worth it", he adds, saying he has never wanted to be a career politician.

"I now feel that I have done my bit... So I feel it's right that I should now stand aside as leader of Ukip."

He says he wants his life back, and that starts now

Well, if anyone deserves a break and more pertinently, deserves a seat at the table for the Brexit negotiations then it's Nige.

So long and thanks for forcing this issue, I hope you get a seat in the lords.
edit on 26pMon, 04 Jul 2016 04:24:26 -050020162016-07-04T04:24:26-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: Title

edit on Mon Jul 4 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: got rid of hyphens in title

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I'm starting to wonder about the leave camp and whats really up. Why would you resign after getting what you fought for? Why would Boris refuse leadership?

Now we have people like Blair hinting at another referendum.. or maneuvering with Europe on the Brexit..

for one reason or another I feel Brexit isn't going to happen
edit on 4/7/16 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
I'm starting to wonder about the leave camp and whats really up. Why would you resign after getting what you fought for? Why would Boris refuse leadership?

Now we have people like Blair hinting at another referendum.. or maneuvering with Europe on the Brexit..

There has been a schism in UKIP for some time between Carswell's faction and Nigel's. I think Suzanne Evans might get the nod with most kippers though.

There is also a rumour about Nigel being offered a seat at the table only if he isn't still UKIP leader, so he may have taken that into consideration.

Lastly, he's been stressed out for so long by all the hate, threats etc, that maybe he just wants it over for now.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
In a sense, Brexit means that UKIP's "mission" is just about done as well. There would be nowhere further to go, short of taking up the idea of becoming the new protest party for old Labour voters.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Why would Boris refuse leadership?

He was being a realist.
After the Gove defection, it made good sense to recognise that he wasn't going to get it.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Wow, You wanted to drive the Titanic and took the first lifeboat out..

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
Wow, You wanted to drive the Titanic and took the first lifeboat out..

Strange, but not unexpected comment.

The only people that would ever 'drive the Titanic', if you mean lead our country in it's new found freedom from EU oppression and facism, are the elected government. It is for them to make the arrangements to act according to the will of the majority of people in the UK. Farage is not even an elected MP. I can, however, see how bitterness at the EU referendum result might drive a comment such as yours.

The only person who took the first lifeboat out is David Cameron.
edit on 4/7/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Think he might have been feeling left out of the media attention ... poor Nigel.

He is just another one who made a huge # sandwich and does;t want to take a bite

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Well if it worked as you say in the real world, we wouldnt really need the EU would we?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Since your one of the biggest supporters, you are gonna join the commonwealth army? Right, you are joining?
Or you just one of those who thought, well everyone is gonna," Jolly jolly, we all work dandy handy "

Or you just didnt wanna, no taxation without representation? Wellll, now you should make a 2nd amendment vote, privatize the healthcare..

Adopt the whole american" freedom, justice and liberty "for all, build a huge wall, and look how your nation slowly roots..

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Well if it worked as you say in the real world, we wouldnt really need the EU would we?

What are you talking about?
It does work like that in the real world. The elected govt steers the ship and referendums give them direction from the people.
What's not to understand? Nigel Farage is not an elected MP, nor was he officially on the leave campaign. He just used his profile to help get us out and has been working for 20 plus years to free the country from Brussels. He won his battle and is now taking a few months off.
Your need for a pantomime villain just because you don't like the democratic will of the people of the UK is just nonsense.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Will UKIP vanish? I don't think so. They have identified a large group of people up and down the country who don't feel that any of the main parties represent their interests, so I think they might just carry on. The kicker will be the next General election. If people drift away from UKIP in large numbers then it will be a case of "job done, let's move on."

As for the silly comments about taking the first lifeboat out, well, Nigel lives here, pays taxes here, raises his kids here.
So many pro EU shills like Branson and Geldof are non dom tax exiles.

Gin

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Had a life-long goal for 25 years, goes high in politics to accomplish it, accomplishes, and then retires when it's done. Makes sense, literally the only politician or political party that can say mission accomplished for a very long time. More politicians should do this, rather than exploit their popularity. Not surprised that all the pop politicians and their dogs are going to put him down for being honest with his goal and the job he had.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The British government failed to explain in what ways leaving EU is beneficial to the UK..

1. Free trade treaty with the EU, ( whut?) So you think its gonna be the same? Nooonoo, doesnt work like that... You cant eat the cake and still have it..
2. Building a wall.. Okay, where you gonna pick the labor from? Europe? Nooo..nooo.. doesnt work like that..
3. Freedom of movement? Noooo, still noooo...

You didnt believe in the whole thing, . Its like having a breakup and then say, " Hey lets be friends even though it didnt work out, i want to see if the grass is greener.. " no

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Privileged people, think the world works in a lot of ways... But in reality, it really doesnt.. You and i we can talk politics all day long, at the end of the day.. You are gonna think its real and go home frustrated, while i am gonna say;

"Geez, how do people really buy into this #, oh well im hungry.. " Its all a dream, you just took a big S# in the dream..Hoping it doesnt smell..

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

The British government failed to explain in what ways leaving EU is beneficial to the UK..

1. Free trade treaty with the EU, ( whut?) So you think its gonna be the same? Nooonoo, doesnt work like that... You cant eat the cake and still have it..
2. Building a wall.. Okay, where you gonna pick the labor from? Europe? Nooo..nooo.. doesnt work like that..
3. Freedom of movement? Noooo, still noooo...

You didnt believe in the whole thing, . Its like having a breakup and then say, " Hey lets be friends even though it didnt work out, i want to see if the grass is greener.. " no

1...It does work like that. German and French manufacturers are right now lobbying their governments for free trade with the UK

2 We don't need a wall, we are an island.

3 We really don't want free movement, it was one of the cornerstones of the referendum (Though not the main issue for many voters).

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well done farage for getting us out of the mess .
He will turn out to be a legend.
All credit to the guy , he had a mighty task and he did it , fair play mate

Brexit is happening , and all those whose head so far up there arse they can chew there own collar bone , grow up !

It's over !

And I think we just play hardball with getting a deal !

Like I say any uk citizen who wants to go to a EU Country on hols , £1000 tariff per person.

Now we will get our demands , and that's just the start .

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I always felt he wasn't really interested in taking part in politics but just wanted to change things, if that makes sense.

Anyone who says this, then when asked for an apology apologises to bank clerks everywhere, isn't really playing the politician game.

He's earned a holiday.
edit on 4 7 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Mr Farage said he would "bury the hatchet with anybody" including UKIP's sole MP Douglas Carswell, who tweeted an emoji picture of a smiley face as the leader's resignation was announced.
www.bbc.co.uk...

The end of Ukip.

Cheers Nigel , it's been fun.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

i agree.. It's almost as if their sole purpose was to get a brexit but never thought it would happen. Now that it has I get the impression they never developed a plan beyond planning an exit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join