It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Central Park explosion injures 1

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

A man suffered a severe leg injury Sunday after he was hit by an explosion in New York’s Central Park while climbing a rock.

Fire officials said the unidentified man may require a “possible amputation,” multiple outlets reported. Police and the bomb squad were on the scene.

The blast, which occurred just before 11 a.m., may have been caused by a firework, NBC New York reported, citing a law enforcement source. Police told reporters at the scene that traces of fireworks wrappers were recovered, The New York Times reported.

A portion of Central Park was closed as officials investigated the incident, ABC6 reported.

Well this is concerning, given recent terror attacks and all of the people who will be filling the park for Fourth of July festivities. I can't imagine it was just "fireworks" on a rock wall. Non-lit fireworks don't explode. Plus it seems he would have seen it? IED? Strange.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JetBlackStare

Fouth of July Weekend?
I'm staying home. Anyone who would willingly go to anything that has thousands and thousands of people in attendance these days has to be outta their minds. Even if it was not the 4th.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Fouth of July Weekend?
I'm staying home. Anyone who would willingly go to anything that has thousands and thousands of people in attendance these days has to be outta their minds. Even if it was not the 4th.

And that's how the terrorists win....Go out and do something fun, rather than living your life in fear.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I could see it being fireworks it's amazing how many get injured each year from it. This was a terrible case i feel for that guy.

I think sky diving would be fun, it's safer imo. I wouldn't mess with fireworks personally, not worth the risk.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Blast heard 2 blocks away!!!

Shotgun shell foot bomb???

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire
They're going to print this post and frame it.
It'll hang on the wall behind their leaders desk with the words "mission accomplished" written above it.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance
Not fear Admire, just caution. Crowds alone are to volatile. But yes, I see your point. I extrapolated my own dislike of large gatherings into a suggestion that all should also.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Silly. That mission was accomplished when the towers were taken down and the whole country went nuts. Most of the leaders jumped on the band wagon and Homeland Security took charge. The entire format of American life was altered, not by the terrorists, not by the citizens but by our leaders in congress and the white house.

Fear fear fear was blasted from our screens day and night over and over. The mission has been accomplished for almost 15 years now. My caution is not fear, just reasonable caution.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Judging by the booms in my sleepy neighborhood, people are buying the crap out of M-whatever-the-hell-is-big-&-still-legal this year. New neighbors behind us are quickly becoming the most disliked house around by far, though, they like those enormous ones that make you question whether or not it really was a firework. I keep waiting for someone to blow a hand or leg off, they're always plastered when they get the fireworks bug up their butt.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
pbs.twimg.com...

To me it looks like remnants of fireworks

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com... utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Two of his shocked friends — identified by sources as Thomas Hinds, 20, and Matthew Stabile, 18 — denied they were carrying fireworks moments before being taken away in an ambulance.

In an interview from the 19th Precinct stationhouse with the Daily News, Hinds said he first stepped down off a rock in Central Park, with his pal, Golden, behind him.

I got down the hill and boom, my ears were ringing. I felt a wave, a gust hit me in the back,” Hinds said.

“I turned around and saw him on the ground with his foot bleeding.

“It just demolished his foot. His foot was mutilated,” Hinds added.

Golden groaned on the ground but remained conscious.

“His foot was gone and he handled it pretty well,” Hinds said. “He's a tough guy...All he said was ‘get help.’”

Hinds said the group had no explosives — something he’d told police for an hour and a half.

“They’re questioning the hell out of me,” Hinds said.

He hesitated to say a bomb had gone off, because the explosion wasn’t that large.

“I want to say someone planted a firework or bottle rocket,” Hinds said.

“It seemed like he stopped on something that was pressure sensitive.”

edit on 3-7-2016 by JetBlackStare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Ugh! A warning would have been nice. That photo is graphic.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

dude stepped on a land mine. A small one designed to cause maiming not killing outright.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Kids deny they had fireworks. Feds testing material. Press conference soon.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Sources telling CNN, situation may be "more sinister" than first thought. "Does not seem to be a fireworks type device". Joint Terrorism Task Force is assisting at this point. Law enforcement telling CNN it has "IIED-like components" "Homemade explosive material."

Park still open, area around explosion closed/cordoned off.

WTF? Not closed?

If this has anything to do with a training exercise or a stooge on a watch list being handled by the FBI - there will be outrage.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I remember the day I became old....it was a Fourth of July in 2001 and my brain decided fireworks were more dangerous than fun…

It's a melancholy day in all our lives when the epiphone of times inevitability hits us...it is un-ironically a moment as old as time and memorial in the history of Homo sapiens...
And in that moment we find ourselves standing in our proverbial yard telling cars to slow down when it was a moment ago that we were the ones driving the cars....

I imagine cro magnon elders having similar moments watching caveman kids play too loose with their new fangled bow and arrows and fire starting flint techniques...

-Christosterone
edit on 3-7-2016 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Terrorists planting landmines in public areas, that might get someone's attention.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
NYPD Presser says no specific or credible threats to NYC or Fourth celebrations.

Calling it an "experiment". Saying it's not unusual for people to experiment with fireworks at this time of year.

Now saying nothing consistent with an IED. Nothing consistent to a device that would be meant to harm an individual.

So WHY is that press info completely different that what sources were telling CNN just prior to the press conference?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Seems to me they are making some pretty convenient assumptions. Funny how they want us to "see something, say something" but then something like this actually happens and they are all "nothing to see here, move along".

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So, upshot, explosive device placed in the crevice of a rock in the middle of Central Park on the Fourth of July weekend but - no biggie, probably just an experiment gone wrong.

Do people often experiment with fireworks or explosives in Central Park?

Somehow, I doubt it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join