It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit vote was a tie, Britain will never leave EU - academic.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: Gothmog

Lets keep voting until the results change.

The Remain lot's talking up of a second referendum is understandable, because that's what the EU does if people inconveniently disagree.

That's what happened in Ireland over the ratification of the Lisbon treaty.

Let's be clear here, this is not what this thread is about..per se, it's about what to do. The online petition for instance, was an indicator right from the start either UKIP, (leave) or UKIP inspired should they have lost in a narrow margin, using the exact same figures that Nigel Farage used in May when calling for a second referendum should the vote be as close as it turned out to be, just so's you know, except it just happened that the reverse happened and the petitioners were mostly 'remain' signees. The original petitioner has made that clear on social media.
As for those early posters, some of you please go and read the link properly, because I know you have not, and the reasons why make that obvious.
edit on 2-7-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

this is not what this thread is about.

I think it's exactly what it's about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would like a second referendum because you don't like the result of this one? Well, that's what the EU did to ensure that the Lisbon treaty was ratified. Only it's not democracy, is it?

Anyway, what if the result of the second referendum was the same? What would happen then?

You're worried about the potential break-up of the UK. But if the public were to vote leave in a second referendum, this risk would remain, would it not?

This is what I predict: Scotland will probably end up leaving the UK...Leave or Remain. The First Minister is SNP, who wont rest till they get another Indyref. What's happened just brought the prospect forward a little bit, that's all. The SNP doesn't really want independence, just independence from the UK. Well, fine. But they will want that whether we are In or Out. Believe that.

I very much doubt that the Northern Ireland population has any will to break away from the UK, regardless of how they voted in the referendum (though you personally might want to). I don't think the leader of Sinn Fein gives anybody cause to think otherwise.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

My personal opinion is this...
If we are forced to remain or forced to re-vote, then that is the end of democracy in the UK.
If this vote cannot be trusted, what about the next general election?
Do we ignore that too?

If our words are not heard this time, why on earth would we ever believe anything from any British government ever again???

I will take it as a sign that, since they ignored our choice, I am now free to do whatever I damn well please because, obviously, nothing is really serious and we all just get what we want.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

We're in the same gang, it's smurfy you need to convince.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
RT destabilization plan in play. They concentrated on pushing leave before the vote now they will just add to the pickle jar.
RT is the most biased news on the air and will try to break up the EU, UK and NATO.. RUSSIA CALLING

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: skywatcher44
RT destabilization plan in play. They concentrated on pushing leave before the vote now they will just add to the pickle jar.
RT is the most biased news on the air and will try to break up the EU, UK and NATO.. RUSSIA CALLING

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

Had to add comment in another post to the one above as for some reason it is not showing my comment after the quote!

Ah!...... the old "it's all Russia's fault" ploy!

Are you saying that the EU unelected mandarins are really Russian plants that have imposed all this crap deliberately to force a break up? Or are you suggesting that everyone that voted leave did so based on what they read on RT (all of them)?

I've seen some laughable excuses and nonsense so far but this ranks pretty highly in the political comedy rankings!
edit on 453Sun, 03 Jul 2016 04:52:26 -05005231400000016 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
People like this are destructive to society. They should be ignored and not given the time or day.

If an exit result of the referendum was so destructive and bad for us, then we should never have had a referendum in the first place.

Just because Cameron promised us one - since when have any MPs ever kept their election pledges?

The alternative to democracy is bad.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: YarlanZey

No.
The problems we are facing now are because, regardless that they've been telling us about the referendum, no one really thought we would vote out.

They were so cock sure and arrogant about us wanting to stay that no plan was ever put into place should we choose to leave.
That's all there is to it.
I think everyone was so sure of themselves they didn't have the wit to act.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
They were so cock sure and arrogant about us wanting to stay that no plan was ever put into place should we choose to leave.

Ah, the problem of group-think and dinner parties down in London.

However, while it may seem a bit like mayhem has descended, I am pretty sure there are talks going on. A plan will evolve. People will talk. Life will go on.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

We will survive just fine.
Its only millionaires and business men who are pushing for us to stay so I think there's a clue there for the common man.
They are only concerned with profits in the short term.
The fact that so many young people seem to support this looks like Stockholm Syndrome to me.
They're scared because we are held to ransom by business in this country.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: smurfy

this is not what this thread is about.

I think it's exactly what it's about.

I very much doubt that the Northern Ireland population has any will to break away from the UK, regardless of how they voted in the referendum (though you personally might want to). I don't think the leader of Sinn Fein gives anybody cause to think otherwise.

" I think it's exactly what it's about."
Then you did not read even one of my posts, while you would like to tell me what I think.
It also appears you don't even know that the referendum is not binding at this moment in time,
It appears that you don't know that there is no attempt as yet to ratify the referendum in parliament, since that is the only place it can be done.
It appears you don't know that without the above, article 50 cannot be evoked.
So then you want to presume more,

"(though you personally might want to)" The fact is I'm English, quite content to be English, and remain in the UK.
So, do you want to discuss what the link says or not, do you want to discuss, what I have said re the link or not?
Do you want to discuss what I am saying re the referendum above.
It seems to me, that no one wants to discuss anything as yet, in what is actually a very complex chain of events, something the linked story is trying to say to those who want to listen.

Oh yes, there were some posts that said everything will be hunky dory, "They will sort it out" Typical euphorics that you might see post elections about parliamentary MPs.
Trouble is in this case the, 'they' are all doing runners..did you ever see that before? at the moment it's all about political in-fighting.

Now, to take Tulpa's remark in a post to you, "My personal opinion is this...
If we are forced to remain or forced to re-vote, then that is the end of democracy in the UK." You agreed.

It appears that Tulpa doesn't realise that democracy ended in the the UK back in 1972 when Heath used the house of commons to bring the UK into the EEC when he had no right to do so, a simple aye or no nay vote by MP's. Heath should have had a referendum then, which he didn't..or should have dissolved the government and had an election, which he didn't, even though he knew then that it was to be a political union, which was against the English constitution at least, in fact a codifed part of the English constitution from 1689.
That Harold Wilson did have a referendum in retrospect, made no difference because the wording of that referendum included the phrase, "Do you think that the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community" when the reality was that England at least, was not in the EEC legally anyway. So I think it is fair to say that Harold perpetuated a myth knowingly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join