It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live update: Hostage situation, shooting at Gulshan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

We all know isis dont take hostages.
The bbc reported that there was continues gunfire betwen the torrorists and police for over an hour earlier today, i hope with all my hope the hostages didnt get caught up in that.
I worry that they are waiting for all the world to be watching before they execute the hostages. 9-10 terrorists for 1 cafe, seems alot.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Bangladesh has been dangerous lately. Both Buddhists and atheists have been hacked to death in machete attacks, likely by Muslim extremists.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't blame it on Muslims they are all peaceful

It's the religion of peace after all

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Extremist Muslims blowing up Peaceful Muslims.

Not that difficult to understand Extremism.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Bangladesh marine commandos(trained by SEALS) at the scene, reportedly 1 terrorist kiled

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What this? On no, this was almost certainly done by a collaboration of that California pastor guy who got kicked out of his church after Orlando and WBC. They were inspired by the fake Whole Foods hate cake crime.

Don't worry. The media will have their preferred narrative yet.

Whatever it ultimately turns out to be, I hope they recover as many of the hostages alive as possible.
edit on 1-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Let's call it what everyone really wants t call it, Christian terrorism.

No one will have a problem with that that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Starred your post.

Just to add: *SARC*

To it ... I appreciate your courage. Tough stuff.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Let's call it what everyone really wants t call it, Christian terrorism.

No one will have a problem with that that's for sure.

NO! I meant exactly what I stated.

The Terrorist Muslims kill moderate peaceful Muslims.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
You a reply to: Annee

And your point is?

Islamic extremist....

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes they do, and they do so at a greater rate than they do non-muslims I believe; though I freely admit that I may be incorrect.

Folks, let's not turn this thread into yet another debate on semantics. I would hope we can keep this clean for updates on the situation.

Kets, this backs up your statement:

Friday’s attack comes the same day a Hindu temple worker was hacked to death in the latest in a series of grisly killings that have rattled the country in the past few years. The murders, often by hacking but sometimes by shooting, are part of a wave of violence mostly targeting writers, activists, foreigners and religious minorities in the Muslim-majority country.

Over the past 18 months, 48 killings have been blamed on Islamic militants, with more than half claimed by the Islamic State, according to SITE. Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for most of the others.

USA Today

Radical Islam is a danger to many people other than Americans, and yet our intelligence agency cannot even mention it in their training materials. (that would be a decent thread to discuss side issue of what terminology is used to describe Islamic extremists)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Yes, I think I read the same article. Somehow, it got posted to MSN which is the newsfeed I allow at work. But they've also had the ones about the atheist bloggers getting attacked too. The Hindu was a new one, but I think it explained in the one I read that he had been warned not to go out alone, but he did.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Yes, and it seems as though this attack may be in retaliation for the government crackdown:

The attack at the restaurant comes two weeks after the Bangladeshi government finished conducting a weeklong crackdown that included mass arrests, taking into custody more than 10,000 people, including 194 people reported to be affiliated with militant networks

New York Times

This article does mention atheists too:

In Bangladesh in recent years, there have been dozens of killings of atheist writers, foreigners, bloggers, religious minorities, gay rights activists and others — mostly in machete attacks, but also in shootings and bombings.

The police in Bangladesh say the killings have been organized by two militant Islamic groups that recruit young men from religious schools and train them to carry out attacks.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Yes they do, and they do so at a greater rate than they do non-muslims I believe; though I freely admit that I may be incorrect.

Folks, let's not turn this thread into yet another debate on semantics. I would hope we can keep this clean for updates on the situation.

OK. Extremists are extremists. Whatever tool they use. In this case a distorted ideology.

Extremism, IMO, is about control. If you're not with them, you're against them.

In this case maybe Hindus, but it could be anything including moderate Muslims. Daesh has probably killed more Muslims then anyone else.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Here is the most up to date, local information I can find:

# The incidents began around 8:45pm at Holey Artisan Bakery in Rd No. 79 near Gulshan-2. The owner of the café is a Spanish citizen, according to the Rapid Action Battalion.

# Eight to 10 men, one of them armed with a sword and the others carrying 'small firearms with big magazines' raided the place, according the restaurant’s supervisor Sumon Reza.

# The men shouted 'Allahu Akbar' (God is great) on their way in and started firing blanks with around 20 guests still inside - several of them foreigners.

# A local resident living a few hundred yards of the bakery told bdnews24.com that he, too, heard 'Allahu Akbar' shouts followed by gunshots.

# The assailants then detonated 10-12 bombs. Sumon and another Artisan staff bolted to the roof and fled the two-storey building by jumping out from there.

# Those who were still inside either ignored or rejected calls made by their colleagues, according Sumon.

# Police appeared nearly a half-hour later and the noise of numerous gunshot filled the place. As police tried to enter the bakery, a grenade was thrown at them, according to a police official.

# A resident from House Number 20 on Road 79 told bdnews24.com over the phone that police could be heard over the loudspeaker asking people upstairs to come down. They said they believed that an attacker might be trying to hide in the building.

# The same person also informed seeing a person in police uniform and helmet lying injured on the ground on the opposite road.

# Blasts and firing at the bakery have left 25 people including police personnel injured. Banani OC was rushed to United Hospital in critically injured state. Doctors pronounced him dead.

# The intruders triggered two bombs in close succession at 10.35 pm. Sound of firing could be heard intermittently from the attack site.

# RAB director Benazir Ahmed rushed to the spot after the blasts, said media persons. "Some armed intruders have entered there. That's all the information we have now. Some waiters have managed to come out. We're talking to them now. We are trying to do something to end this peacefully" the RAB director said.

# Asked how many were trapped inside, Benazir did not provide any information. He said, "The life and security of those trapped inside is of paramount importance to us. We also want to talk to the youth who have gone astray and held them hostage".

# In order to curb panic and rumour, he urged TV channels to stop beaming live from Gulshan. The TV crews then stopped live telecast from the road.

bdnews24.com

Looking at that last statement, it seems as if we won't get much more solid information until the situation is resolved.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

The latest, from the same source in my prior post:

# Several kilometres of road was then cordoned off by the police who placed barricades at different points in the path leading to Gulshan-2 circle. Assistant Sub Inspector Ershad, who is in charge of Gulshan-1 checkpost, said the measure had been taken 'so that no criminal can escape'.

# Reuters reported around 2:30am that Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the attack.

Here's hoping the situation can be resolved before any more loss of life.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
There is no extreme/not extreme. There is in its basic form Sunni/Shia. They kill each other. It would be like a Baptist detonating himself in a Methodist Church. Happens all the time in Islam but our greatest threat is homegrown Christian terrorists or global warming.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The latest:

5:50 a.m.

A member of Bangladeshi security forces say authorities are planning to launch a coordinated response at dawn Saturday to end the hostage-taking by militants inside a Dhaka restaurant popular with foreigners.

According to internet service provider Aamr, authorities also ordered internet services to be blocked across the country.

A member of the Rapid Action Battalion, identifying himself as Lt. Col. Masood, told Indian TV that he attackers "have not responded to authorities' calls for negotiation."

Town Hall

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join