It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-15E Strike Eagles unable to shoot down the F-35s in 8 dogfights during simulated deployment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
F-15E Strike Eagles unable to shoot down the F-35s in 8 dogfights during simulated deployment

I'm sure we'll have quite a few people coming into this thread to poo poo the F-35. But let's have a go anyways.

Looks like they pit the F-35A against F-15Es with AESA radar and Sniper ATP. The Strike Eagles were performing DCA and could not "find" or "engage" the F-35A.

The U.S. Air Force F-35A fleet continues to work to declare the Lightning II IOC (initial operational capability) scheduled in the August – December timeframe.

Among the activities carried out in the past weeks, a simulated deployment provided important feedbacks about the goal of demonstrating the F-35’s ability to “penetrate areas with developed air defenses, provide close air support to ground troops and be readily deployable to conflict theaters.”

Seven F-35s deployed from Hill Air Force Base, Utah, to Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, to carry out a series of operational tests which involved local-based 4th Generation F-15E Strike Eagles belonging to the 366th Fighter Wing.

I really like this infographic that talks about the exercise. Notice the pew pew pew's.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Rumor has it that the RNLAF F-35's that went over a while back got into some impromptu fur balls with RNLAF Vipers.

The outcome was not in the Vipers favor.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman
Put em against the Raptor. Then I will believe the F-35 is something other than "globalization" at work.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The F-35 isn't supposed to be able to take the Raptor though. They perform two different missions. You wouldn't put an SUV against a Corvette in a drag race, just like you wouldn't throw the F-35 into a fight as an air superiority fighter.

You want globalization, then you should look at the commercial side of aircraft manufacturing. Most Boeing and Airbus aircraft are great examples of that.
edit on 6/30/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Zaph, how does the radar on the F-15's compare to modern Russian fighters?

Are capabilities similar?

Meaning, is this exercise meaningful?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

The F-15Es at Mountain Home were the first to get the AN/APG-82(v)1, AESA radar system upgrade in 2014. It's considered one of the top of the line AESA systems used by the US, so yes it's on par with just about any other radar system out there.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thanks for enlightening me.

Then I must say I am impressed, with all the negatives I hear spewed against the F-35.

Being a laymen concerning modern aircraft it is hard to know the 'truth'.

edit on 6 30 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Unfortunately the only press that is seen is bad press. There's been a lot of good happening with this program, but the program office is more concerned about doing their job, and getting the aircraft ready to fly combat when necessary, than in putting out good news about the program, as they should be. And when they do, it's always "propaganda" or they're "shilling for Lockheed Martin" or something along those lines.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Thanks again for shining a light on the good of the program.

If it wasn't for you and a few others I would think the whole program was a failure.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

It's never going to be a great aircraft, no multirole aircraft ever will be, but it's going to be far better than people give it credit for.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The F-15Es at Mountain Home were the first to get the AN/APG-82(v)1, AESA radar system upgrade in 2014. It's considered one of the top of the line AESA systems used by the US, so yes it's on par with just about any other radar system out there.

Having worked the F-15E, lets not kid ourselves. This is kinda like getting into a dogfight with a Learjet.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

It's not a dogfighter like the C is, but it's better than saying it's a Learjet. And they didn't say if they were WVR or BVR, although it seems to be they were BVR, in which case, the fight was about equal.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

It's not a dogfighter like the C is, but it's better than saying it's a Learjet. And they didn't say if they were WVR or BVR, although it seems to be they were BVR, in which case, the fight was about equal.

True, but then we move into what info is available to the public and what is classified. The F-22(for example) isn't so great until you find out what it can actually do(wink wink).

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The same with the F-35. Once you start getting into the classified systems, it becomes a much better aircraft than people realize.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The same with the F-35. Once you start getting into the classified systems, it becomes a much better aircraft than people realize.

True, I've had F-15E pilots brag avionics and then say that BFM was hopelessly futile.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The F-35 is proving to be much better at BFM than people think, because everyone is using that report that claimed it couldn't dogfight, that wasn't even a dogfighting test. One of the Norwegian pilots wrote a scathing response to that, talking about how easy it was to dogfight, and all the advantages he has over just about any other aircraft, including the F-16.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Unfortunately the only press that is seen is bad press. There's been a lot of good happening with this program, but the program office is more concerned about doing their job, and getting the aircraft ready to fly combat when necessary, than in putting out good news about the program, as they should be. And when they do, it's always "propaganda" or they're "shilling for Lockheed Martin" or something along those lines.

Two words, Bill Sweetman.

That guy did more to poison the well regarding the F-35 in the media than one would think possible for an individual with his actual credentials to be capable of.

The guy is an analyst at best, not an engineer.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

War is Boring and Tyler Rogoway didn't exactly help either, but yeah, Sweetman had a huge impact, considering that everything he wrote for months was about how bad the F-35 was.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Out of curiosity I would wonder how well they compare to the F22.

Assuming this isn't just political "see I told you this expensive plane would be worth it," I'm glad to see it has been so successful.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

It's interesting. The other day someone was putting down the F-35. They listened to alot of FUD from people.

I spoke with them about some of the strides made with the program and they were surprised at how far it's gotten along.

There's still alot of old news being spread about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join