It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour MP Jo Cox has died after being shot three times in the street near her office by an attacker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

A Labour MP has died after she was shot three times and repeatedly stabbed in a shocking attack as she arrived at her constituency surgery.
Mother-of-two Jo Cox, 41, was airlifted to hospital after a gunman opened fire on her in Birstall near Leeds.
Witnesses said the man was at the office before she arrived and shot her three times, once in the head, before stabbing her as she lay on the ground.
Her husband Brendan tweeted a photo of his wife two hours after she died from catastrophic injuries.
A 53-year-old - named locally as gardener Tommy Mair - has been arrested by police.

Britsh Politician murdered by a British First sympathizer

My thoughts go to her family and friends. RIP Jo Cox.

Can this be classified as far-right terrorism too? Or is he "mentally ill"?

Edit: For those of you who say he isn't a right winger: He shouted 'Britain First' before killing her.

Wikipedia: Britain First is a far-right,[11][13][14][15][16] and British nationalist[3] political party and movement formed in 2011 by former members of the British National Party (BNP).[15] The party is led by a former BNP councillor Paul Golding, and was founded by Jim Dowson, an anti-abortion campaigner linked to Ulster loyalist militants.[11]

edit on EThursdayAmerica/Chicago2016-06-16T13:56:50-05:0030Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:56:50 -0500562016-06-16T13:56:50-05:00JuneAmerica/Chicago by ElectricFeel because: (no reason given)

+40 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
That's impossible, guns are illegal there.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricFeel

This is a fairly easy to answer. Was he part of a group? Did he do this for stated political reasons? Can you explain why left wingers are so quick to blame "the right" for violence, but go out of their way to deflect and excuse Islamic terrorism?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
That's impossible, guns are illegal there.

You took the words out of my mouth =D

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

This is a fairly easy to answer. Was he part of a group? Did he do this for stated political reasons? Can you explain why left wingers are so quick to blame "the right" for violence, but go out of their way to deflect and excuse Islamic terrorism?

Can you explain to me where exactly I deflected and excused Islamic terrorism?
edit on EThursdayAmerica/Chicago2016-06-16T13:09:16-05:0030Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:09:16 -0500092016-06-16T13:09:16-05:00JuneAmerica/Chicago by ElectricFeel because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Except they're not illegal.

Nice try though.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

I'm not keen on gun laws in the U.K. but one witness stated this.

"Describing the gun, Abdallah said, "It looked like a gun from, I don't know, the First World War or a makeshift, handmade gun. It's not sort of like the kind of gun you see normally." He told Sky News the attacker wore a dirty white baseball cap."

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Are you SURE he shouted Britain First? Or perhaps politically someone thought it a great opportunity to advance their agenda?

Scene in Birstall where eye witness quoted says did NOT hear anyone shouting "Britain First" #JoCox

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Targeted a politician in a savage attack. (Who believed we should remain in the EU, I think)
Allegedly shouted "Britain First". (A supremacist group here in the UK)
Apparently on Medication.

It's definitely terrorism.
But that's neither here nor there, the Leave Campaigners will be likened to this freak now.

Fishy.

Gin

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Maria Eagle MP was the first person to mention and tweet about 'Britain First'. There were no other sources mentioned, she deleted the tweet hours later.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

You cannot own fully automatic firearms, semi-automatic firearms of calibre greater than .22, or handguns. But this still leaves a significant amount of legal weapons. It's actually fairly easy to get a shotgun licence, because you don't have to provide a reason to own one, rather the assumption is that you can unless the police have good reason to prevent it.A firearms licence for a rifle, however, is harder to get because you have to have a good reason to have one. Self or home defence does not count as a good reason.

(Emphasis mine)

Source

I was always under the impression semi auto, hand guns, and rifles were illegal in the UK. I didn't realize that rifles were allowed if you have a good reason and jump through all the hoops. That being what it is, my assessment of this, is that this was an illegal weapon.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Say it again then. You won't be the last

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I think anybody that murders someone because of religion or politics has some mental illness..how can you not?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Britain First... Scum bags of the highest order.

I hope this guy rots in his cell.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Not really, i think this will be treated as a Murder not a act of terrorism.

Could argue it either way but I think they will go for a murder

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Hey in Venezuela guns are out right banned, only the army, police, and certain government entities are permitted to have them and they are the world leader in gun related homicides. It seems once again it is generally the bad guys that can get guns to do nefarious things with regardless of the law or the country. Even if the whole world stopped making them, things like this will still happen.

Source

Source 2

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Obvious conspiracy angle: the desperate anti-Brexit pro-EU people have sacrificed one of their own in a last ditch attempt to change the momentum of the vote...although in that case, I don't know why they don't just steal the vote digitally like is probably usually done these days (see some of the recent US primaries, or the UK's own Scottish independence vote). The story will be that this guy was anti-immigrant and anti-EU.

The gunman was calm when arrested which seems more like a professional (who will be portrayed as an ideologue) than a crazy person.

"Jo Cox passionately defended immigration and Britain's EU membership in maiden speech: The Batley and Spen MP, who was shot this morning after a constituency surgery meeting, said immigration had 'deeply enhanced' her community"

I wouldn't usually try to "call it" before the story is out but this one seems pretty obvious with the way the headlines are going already.
edit on 16-6-2016 by 11andrew34 because: clarification

edit on 16-6-2016 by 11andrew34 because: quotes

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 11andrew34

I am as open to a conspiracy as the next guy but i really do think that this is just the story of a bad man with a gun.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Not really, i think this will be treated as a Murder not a act of terrorism.

Could argue it either way but I think they will go for a murder

If he Targetted a politician for political reasons it's terrorism by definition.

TBH I don't care I was just sayin'.
He'll be locked up either way and labelling it/not labelling it Terror makes no difference to the outcome.

We lost a decent MP.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I wasn't under the impression political assassination and terrorism were the same thing? Can you elaborate on this please?

Source

The assassination of JFK wasn't considered terrorism

In modern times, political assassinations continue to play an important role in political and social processes and, in some cases, have a dramatic effect. For example, many argue that the assassination of the Israeli Prime Minister Itzhak Rabin in 1995 was a major reason for the collapse of the peace process between Israel and the Palestinians.[1] It is also difficult to deny the impact of the assassinations of figures such as Martin Luther King or Benazir Bhutto on the success of their political movements/parties following their deaths. Thus, it is not surprising that Appleton argues, “The impact of assassinations on America and the World is incalculable,”[2] and that Americans cite the assassination of John F. Kennedy as the crime that has had the greatest impact on American society in the last 100 years.[3] Nonetheless, despite the apparently significant influence of political assassinations on political and social realities, this particular manifestation of political action is understudied and, as a result, poorly understood.

The word terrorism doesn't even show up in this article as political assassination is a heinous crime, it is treated as such. Terrorism is also a heinous crime but from my understanding it is treated differently. I would suppose a terrorist/ terrorists can commit to political assassinations to further an agenda but that again would be different.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join