It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very hot drinks "probably" cause cancer: UN body

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Remember common sense?

Me neither.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Any cell can turn into a cancer cell, damaged cells have a higher potential to turn into cancer cells. Repeated habits that continually damage cells increases risk for cancer. So yes, it makes perfect sense that if you routinely drink very hot liquids you're increasing your risk for esophageal cancer.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Breathing causes cancer. Literally.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr X
Isn't it obvious that this is correct?
Burning water burns your throat, it's bound to cause cell damage.

Let's not profess the plain, physical facts of a matter without putting it into in a PC correct context which is what the "probably" is intend to do. Otherwise, you can offend whole continents of people whose culture demands that they per take of overly hot beverages. And that just wouldn't be right to insult their sensibilities that way. Just think of it, a whole continent of sensibilities infringed upon with raw, ugly, unthoughful facts!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Fact is by drinking something too hot it affects your body, theres a village in india where they drink there tea at nearly boiling temperature and they have one of the highest cancer rate in india.

But hey if learning something new is stupid well i want to be stupid all day long.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Now science is politically correct?

QYBS!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think taxes cause cancer, and I'm pretty sure too because every year I have to fill out a tax form, I am statistically more likely to be diagnosed with some kind of cancer.

I think we ought to test my theory and repeal all forms of taxation.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Fact is by drinking something too hot it affects your body, theres a village in india where they drink there tea at nearly boiling temperature and they have one of the highest cancer rate in india.

But hey if learning something new is stupid well i want to be stupid all day long.

Who knows? They might also be living at and getting their water from the @ss end of the Ganghes too. That might have a bit to do with it.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Independent scientific study sponsored by the Coca-Cola Corporation and Anheuser-Busch.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Who knows? They might also be living at and getting their water from the @ss end of the Ganghes too. That might have a bit to do with it.

Or maybe its been found that drinking nearly boiling water is bad for you.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i have to wonder how i survived years of an affinity for hot coffee with lots of sugar and a shot of whiskey .

by now my cancer should have died of cancer

hey maybee thats it - i gave my cancer - cancer and it all balanced out

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

originally posted by: Cygnis
Yahoo news article

Drinking very hot beverages "probably" causes cancer of the oesophagus, the UN's cancer agency said Wednesday, while lifting suspicion from coffee if consumed at "normal serving temperatures".
"These results suggest that drinking very hot beverages is one probable cause of oesophageal cancer and that it is the temperature, rather than the drinks themselves, that appears to be responsible," said Christopher Wild, director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

I don't know where to begin with this. Part of me wants to say something like:

"And this is how stupidity spreads"..

Another part of me wants to say:

"Yea, and crossing the highway during early morning rush-hour traffic "probably" will get you hit and killed by a motor vehicle, but we don't waste time with studies to figure this out, and if we did, it would be a rather scientific event, that we could say "YES" to instead of the ambiguous "probably". "

I guess I don't see the value in "probably" here. I mean, for all I know reading yahoo article "probably" lowers mental function, or causes erectile dysfunction, or apoplectic fits.

The ambiguity of "probably" after "reviewing thousands of cases, from many different cultures" just seems kind'a like throwing darts at a wall and hoping one will stick, but putting it out as a news article, and it being all official from the U.N. is going to have people panic, and now they'll demand their drinks be x-temperature, and threaten to sue if their coffee is too hot.

I, for one, am not going to care, because sooner or later something is going to kill me, be it a thermonuclear missile, a plague, or someone else's stupidity.

Hmm, maybe I should create a "pocket-temp" device, so people can temp their hot drinks, and mark the danger-zone on the device as ""Probably" cause cancer temp".

What a stubborn and poorly researched excuse for a thread.

'Probably' is a term used by the WHO IARC in their Group 2A classification. Group 2A lists all items that are 'probably carcinogenic to humans'. This is backed with evidence of carcinogenicity in humans by anything listed therein.

EDIT: Here's a direct link to the preamble which might assist you in your research. IARC PREAMBLE (Inclusive of classifications/description of classifications)

First off, my apologies for not including sarc tags.

Second, I'm quite stubborn, thanks for pointing out a very obvious character flaw in my being, I will sleep better tonight knowing YOU could see it too.

Thirdly, I consider the whole UN, body, etc, a waste of tax-payer money. Especially when they are "probably" semi-useless except for strongly worded letters, and ambiguous categorization of stuff that a little common sense could do as well.

Fourth, and finally, thanks for stopping by the thread, and have a good rest of your day..

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

People always say that smoking causes cancer. I believe that it probably doesn't help (lights a smoke), but my grandfather smoked from the age of eighteen to the age of eighty nine, when he died. He didn't die of cancer, never had it. He did not die of the lung condition that he had either, fluid on the lung and all that, very wet coughing and lots of mucus...nasty. He died from a heart attack while changing a fuse.

He smoked eighty John Player Special, every single day. There are cottage industries that have smaller carbon footprints than he had.

Meanwhile, hot water? Really? First of all, I only know one person who ever drinks a cup of tea while it is capable of doing cell damage due to its temperature, and that individual is BARMY, not to mention statistically irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of individuals, even in Britain where Tea is the ultimate fuel, the reward, the aim of every working day, and the reason work continues to be done, do not drink hot beverages, until they are cool enough to drink without a trip to the bloody hospital.

Whatever gormless set of lack wits came up with this particular study, have not done their due diligence in the least with this research. Just another excuse to absorb grant money if you ask me.

I agree, my father-in-law smoked and chewed tobaccoo his whole life, and died in his late 60's from a heart-attack, not a single sign of cancer at all.

I've read about many people near where I live, who exercise daily, eat properly, and micro-manage their health to what is medically considered perfection.. BOOM dead out of no-where, a sudden collapse, or they get cancer and die amazingly fast.

I think, that we are all here for a purpose, and we can live how we wish. When that purpose is done, your time is up and there is nay you can do to stop it.

And as I said in a previous reply, the UN study was "probably" a very big waste, much like the rest of the UN is.

Thanks for stopping by, TrueBrit. Always good to see you in my threads.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Any cell can turn into a cancer cell, damaged cells have a higher potential to turn into cancer cells. Repeated habits that continually damage cells increases risk for cancer. So yes, it makes perfect sense that if you routinely drink very hot liquids you're increasing your risk for esophageal cancer.

So, then working out, which tears and damages muscle cells, and rebuilds them could cause cancer too.

Personally, I think the true causes of cancer are still either a well kept secret, or still a mystery to modern science.

Either way, the end result of LIFE, is death.. No one gets out alive.

Thanks for stopping by, Kali.

(post by henrrymo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

<< 1   >>

join