It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very hot drinks "probably" cause cancer: UN body

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Yahoo news article

Drinking very hot beverages "probably" causes cancer of the oesophagus, the UN's cancer agency said Wednesday, while lifting suspicion from coffee if consumed at "normal serving temperatures".
"These results suggest that drinking very hot beverages is one probable cause of oesophageal cancer and that it is the temperature, rather than the drinks themselves, that appears to be responsible," said Christopher Wild, director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

I don't know where to begin with this. Part of me wants to say something like:

"And this is how stupidity spreads"..

Another part of me wants to say:

"Yea, and crossing the highway during early morning rush-hour traffic "probably" will get you hit and killed by a motor vehicle, but we don't waste time with studies to figure this out, and if we did, it would be a rather scientific event, that we could say "YES" to instead of the ambiguous "probably". "

I guess I don't see the value in "probably" here. I mean, for all I know reading yahoo article "probably" lowers mental function, or causes erectile dysfunction, or apoplectic fits.

The ambiguity of "probably" after "reviewing thousands of cases, from many different cultures" just seems kind'a like throwing darts at a wall and hoping one will stick, but putting it out as a news article, and it being all official from the U.N. is going to have people panic, and now they'll demand their drinks be x-temperature, and threaten to sue if their coffee is too hot.

I, for one, am not going to care, because sooner or later something is going to kill me, be it a thermonuclear missile, a plague, or someone else's stupidity.

Hmm, maybe I should create a "pocket-temp" device, so people can temp their hot drinks, and mark the danger-zone on the device as ""Probably" cause cancer temp".

edit on C16463154 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Global warming is causing cancer by heating up our beverages.

Somebody better tax this quick!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Isn't it obvious that this is correct?
Burning water burns your throat, it's bound to cause cell damage.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I remember reading a thing about how silly it was that people believed eating a warm meal and drinking a cold beverage...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Everything causes cancer....

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Well, they're not wrong, considering how cancer can attack those living seemingly perfectly healthy lives for no reason.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
Cancer causes cancer. And I didnt need a research grant for that one.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Modern oncology , after the BlueGene project , now are turning more towards everyone carrying the dormant cancer gene. the "trigger system" is the question now. Not blah , blah , and blah causes cancer. But , something triggers the gene to go live.Is it a "timed" mechanism or some form of change in our bodies ? Are there different triggers for different people ?
Evidently , the UN body (?) is about 5 years behind the times. Catch up folks.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Life propably causes death...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Yahoo news article

Drinking very hot beverages "probably" causes cancer of the oesophagus, the UN's cancer agency said Wednesday, while lifting suspicion from coffee if consumed at "normal serving temperatures".
"These results suggest that drinking very hot beverages is one probable cause of oesophageal cancer and that it is the temperature, rather than the drinks themselves, that appears to be responsible," said Christopher Wild, director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

I don't know where to begin with this. Part of me wants to say something like:

"And this is how stupidity spreads"..

Another part of me wants to say:

"Yea, and crossing the highway during early morning rush-hour traffic "probably" will get you hit and killed by a motor vehicle, but we don't waste time with studies to figure this out, and if we did, it would be a rather scientific event, that we could say "YES" to instead of the ambiguous "probably". "

I guess I don't see the value in "probably" here. I mean, for all I know reading yahoo article "probably" lowers mental function, or causes erectile dysfunction, or apoplectic fits.

The ambiguity of "probably" after "reviewing thousands of cases, from many different cultures" just seems kind'a like throwing darts at a wall and hoping one will stick, but putting it out as a news article, and it being all official from the U.N. is going to have people panic, and now they'll demand their drinks be x-temperature, and threaten to sue if their coffee is too hot.

I, for one, am not going to care, because sooner or later something is going to kill me, be it a thermonuclear missile, a plague, or someone else's stupidity.

Hmm, maybe I should create a "pocket-temp" device, so people can temp their hot drinks, and mark the danger-zone on the device as ""Probably" cause cancer temp".

What a stubborn and poorly researched excuse for a thread.

'Probably' is a term used by the WHO IARC in their Group 2A classification. Group 2A lists all items that are 'probably carcinogenic to humans'. This is backed with evidence of carcinogenicity in humans by anything listed therein.

EDIT: Here's a direct link to the preamble which might assist you in your research. IARC PREAMBLE (Inclusive of classifications/description of classifications)
edit on 6/15/16 by angryhulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Any excuse to drink more cold beer!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Almost everything can cause cancer to develop, stress, smartphones, dry ice lol, car crash lol, almost anything, now hot everything that has the same temperature as a cup of tea/coffee.

We should work out what doesn't start cancer then start their.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Any excuse to drink more cold beer!

That's the new cure cold beer or beverage.

I'm doing that right now as i type,, off work today so enjoying a drink lol.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

People always say that smoking causes cancer. I believe that it probably doesn't help (lights a smoke), but my grandfather smoked from the age of eighteen to the age of eighty nine, when he died. He didn't die of cancer, never had it. He did not die of the lung condition that he had either, fluid on the lung and all that, very wet coughing and lots of mucus...nasty. He died from a heart attack while changing a fuse.

He smoked eighty John Player Special, every single day. There are cottage industries that have smaller carbon footprints than he had.

Meanwhile, hot water? Really? First of all, I only know one person who ever drinks a cup of tea while it is capable of doing cell damage due to its temperature, and that individual is BARMY, not to mention statistically irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of individuals, even in Britain where Tea is the ultimate fuel, the reward, the aim of every working day, and the reason work continues to be done, do not drink hot beverages, until they are cool enough to drink without a trip to the bloody hospital.

Whatever gormless set of lack wits came up with this particular study, have not done their due diligence in the least with this research. Just another excuse to absorb grant money if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Next week, it'll be cold beverages.
The list of things that can/may give you cancer is so long, the chances of avoiding all of them are basically zero.

The 116 things that can give you cancer – the full list
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Well, the way I see it, 20 years of smoking didn't kill me (I have since quit for years). But I'm not stupid. I know smoking 3 packs a day for 20 years was crazy stupid and that even though I did eventually quit the damage has very likely already been done and I will likely have major consequences eventually.

But assuming I don't, I'm not going to drink anything that is actually painful to drink and I usually do let my coffee and my tea cool down a bit before I start to sip.

Also, I knew this many years ago because my sister is a nurse and when she was going through nursing school, her books were always laying around. I would flip through them sometimes out of curiosity. Obviously if you're flipping through a huge medical dictionary and you see a horrible looking photo, you're not going to forget what caused it.

That was one thing I saw over and over in many medical texts when looking at cases of cancer. They have been speculating that eating and drinking very hot beverages and foods will eventually cause cancer for many years. It wouldn't surprise me, as obviously extremely hot liquids are not something that is natural for an animal to be consuming every day. If there is one thing we do that is in the right place and time to cause throat or oral cancer, I suppose that would be it. Other than smoking and alcohol, of course.

But like I said. I'm not giving up my coffee or my tea. I think as long as you use common sense and don't force yourself to drink it near boiling you'll probably die of old age first.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Everything causes cancer....

Especially SV40, luckily they stopped using the infected polio vaccinations back in the 60's and this wave of cancer should subside.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Serving hot beverages is a conspiracy to control population. It's right under our noses!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Serving hot beverages is a conspiracy to control population. It's right under our noses!!!

Lol i like that.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
MMMM.......this is a topic with so much data connected to it,methinks the late and respected Dr. Hulda Clark had it right....something about Parasites carrying bacteria which carry viruses... and chloride which when it goes into our body creates a perfect environment to ENCOURAGE the growth of parasites and eventually cancers... and cancer being mould and baking soda which is now intentionally tainted unless you can find pharmacuticaal grade being a cure for tumors... and Sweat lodges bacterian Camels milk and anti-parsitic foods being curative in terms of shutting down the superhighway for bacteria and viruses parasite build in you body.

edit on 15-6-2016 by one4all because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join