It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Would you be willing to give up semi-automatic guns?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This is a serious question because I'm honestly curious:

Would you be willing to give up using semi-automatic guns for entertainment purposes at a range (or anywhere else) if you knew giving it up meant the lives of 50 people would be saved? (or even one life?)

I do happen to know they're a real rush to use, but Is the entertainment value of using them worth more than the life of a person to you?

I'm not really talking about making gun control laws, I'm wondering how much you really value a semi-automatic rifle.
edit on 14-6-2016 by jupiter869 because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I didn't understand what the OP was saying. No I wouldn't give up my gun.

In any case whomever is going to kill those 50 people is responsible for their own actions, not me.

edit on 14-6-2016 by Bennyzilla because: didn't understand dumb question

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Freedom has a heavy price.

People GAVE their lives for this freedom, it's something to be cherished.

I really hate to say this, I know some people will find it insensitive or callus.

I'm willing to bet that some of those who died would have rather lived and died IN A FREE COUNTRY, than have hidden their sexual orientation or lifestyle while they lived in some hell hole afraid of being thrown off a building. Living free and dying(young) free is better than not being free at all.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
NOPE.

Shall not be infringed.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: jupiter869

Maybe.

Today I'm thinking that it would be a lot easier to tell who the bad guys were and to deal with them more effectively if everyone wasn't walking around with guns everywhere.

Probably.

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Would you be willing to give up using semi-automatic guns for entertainment purposes at a range (or anywhere else) if you knew giving it up meant the lives of 50 people would be saved? (or even one life?)

Even at the Range, there is nothing entertaining about firing off a few rounds. Rush..? I guess, but your question is loaded, or I should say unloaded, as it's generalizing way beyond norms. (puns intended)

No, I would not give up any of my stash to bring back those 50. I'd be happy use my piece to eliminate the person wanting to kill 50 people - seems like a better trade off, huh..?

(post by craterman removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Yeah right, yeaaaaaaah right. Not now, not never

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: craterman

"Their satanic leaders"? Oh come on.. The bible belt (I presume) is really an.. interesting area to live in, righto?

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

serious question, how would law abiding citizens giving up their semi-auto weapons save any lives? Please expound on that a bit.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

It's quite a simple question. Let me rephrase it: What I am simply asking is if you knew that giving up your gun mean one person's life would be saved, would you do it?

This has nothing to do what other people do with guns. Its simply an academic question about your entertainment values vs. one human life.
edit on 14-6-2016 by jupiter869 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: craterman

"Their satanic leaders"? Oh come on.. The bible belt (I presume) is really an.. interesting area to live in, righto?

trust me, it is.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: jupiter869

It's quite a simple question. Let me rephrase it: What I am simply asking is if you knew that giving up your gun mean one person's life would be saved, would you do it?

This has nothing to do what other people do with guns.

Sure, hypothetically, most of us would risk our lives to save another. Would you? Or is giving up something you don't have as far as you might go?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

serious question, how would law abiding citizens giving up their semi-auto weapons save any lives? Please expound on that a bit.

1. You don't know it wouldn't save lives.

2. The law-abiding, nice, quiet citizen until said citizen snaps?

Yeah. Okay.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Why is everyone concerned about law-abiding citizens giving up their guns?

The answer, my answer is no.

I would not give up my guns.

OP?
Would you give up your first amendment rights to save someone?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

A semi-automatic gun is simply one that uses the gases from a discharged round to eject the spent casing and chamber a new round, and cock the hammer back

The trigger still needs to be pulled to fire the next round.

The speed of how fast it fires is dependent upon how fast you can pull the trigger each time.

They are NOT "machine guns" where you pull the trigger and hold it down, and the gun continues to fire (IE fully automatic weapons).

A double action revolver can be fired very fast too simply by pulling the trigger. They tend to hold less rounds (6 or 7) than a semi-automatic, but with a speed loader, you can reload quite quickly.

If you're looking to make it to where people only own fire arms that can not be fired quickly, and take much longer to load (so that a group of people could overwhelm them), then you'd need to make it to where only breach loading guns (shot guns, single shot .22 rifles, etc) or antique muzzle loading guns are allowed.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
For me a gun is about protection and survival first and entertainment way down the list.

With that in mind I think you've set up everyone who says they won't give up their gun to look like a monster who just wants to play with his toys and get entertainment.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If i could have them, then no.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Your question establishes as a basis for the query, a false paradigm.

A law abiding citizen giving up their ability to defend their home, family, and community will not, can never, save a life. Why? Because a criminal of the sort who blows away fifty people in a nightclub, or opens fire in a movie theatre, will get their hands on a weapon by any means necessary, and no matter what happens with the law, guns will always be available.

I live in the UK, where although there are certain methods one can use to obtain certain firearms legally, the vast majority of weapons are HIGHLY restricted in terms of who can have them, and which ones they can have. I also know that if I asked around for an evening in the right places, I could score an UZI, several mags, and a whole bunch of other nasty gear. Personally, I prefer steel to lead, but the principle holds all the same.

I am not a criminal mastermind, but if I can figure out how to lay hands on automatic weapons in THIS country, imagine how much easier the criminals would have it in the States! Get a clue!

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jupiter869

Its simply an academic question about your entertainment values vs. one human life.

My rifles have nothing to do with 'entertainment'.

And no, I would never give them up.

edit on 6 14 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join