It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton Wants to Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban in Wake of Orlando Attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Wasting little time, Hillary says she wants the assault gun ban put back in place.

She said so in a CNN appearance and was apparently responding politically to the Orlando tragedy.

Bill Clinton signed the original ban back in 1994, but the law expired in 2004.

Hillary also criticized Florida for having lax gun laws.

The Orlando shooter was a licensed gun owner and worked for a security company.

I'm sure many people think a ban on assault guns will stop all crime committed with assault guns.

Hillary Clinton Wants to Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban in Wake of Orlando Attack

Hillary Clinton appeared on CNN’s New Day to reflect on the horrific tragedy that left 49 people dead and 53 people injured. She also used the opportunity to call for a reinstatement of the assault weapons ban that expired 12 years ago.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited people from buying semi-automatic guns that were considered assault weapons. Authorities said mass murderer, Omar Mateen, used an AR-15 style rifle when he opened fire at the gay Orlando nightclub. The ban on these weapons expired in 2004 and was lifted. The original bill was signed by Clinton’s husband, President Bill Clinton, in 1994. The ban was highly criticized by the pro-gun lobby including the NRA. There were several legal challenges to the constitutionally of the law, but none ultimately succeeded.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Such a dumb idea. There are so many assault weapons out there that aren't registered that this won't do any good. If someone wants to get an assault weapon bad enough they can find one illegally.

+26 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So a terrorist attacks American people, and the first ###ing thing she wants to do, is disarm American people.

#### you, Hillary.

Bitch.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Another 100,000 votes for Trump.

Seriously. We are doomed if Hillary is elected

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We agree on something! It's a miracle.

I can't even believe this scumbag is actually the Democratic nominee. How in the flying # did she get the votes? There are a lot of misinformed people in America apparently.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So a terrorist attacks American people, and the first ###ing thing she wants to do, is disarm American people.

#### you, Hillary.

Bitch.

Damn DB , now tell us how you really feel.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Found this on Facebook, realised it is highly appropriate here:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This whole argument drives me absolutely nuts. Why is it that there are so few people capable of critical thinking these days? I swear, the Internet is ruining everything.

There's a middle ground here, and both sides of the gun issue needs to accept some basic facts. It's ridiculous that so many mass shootings are done with AR-15 type guns, and that they're still legal. Hunting? Wtf are you hunting, a herd of rutting moose? That argument seems petty, and an outright lie.

However, taking all guns away from citizens is not only stupid, but against the constitution. Also, making guns illegal will NOT stop people from killing other people. This is something human beings have been doing for thousands of years, even before guns were invented. There's many other methods, not the least of which would be explosives, or hell just 3d printing their own guns eventually. THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET (so to speak).

Here's the problem with this debate. Everyone reacts with anger, and no one is really willing to look at the facts. I don't care about people keeping their guns, but I don't think someone who the FBI talked to twice should've been able to buy a gun capable of killing 49-50 people in minutes.

Ultimately, the hatred itself is what needs to be addressed. Blaming a mass shooting on a specific gun, or the NRA, or Hillary, or Obama, or Trump, is just taking the responsibility off the person truly at fault: the shooter. He is the one that choose to take so many lives, and if an AR-15 wasn't available, if he was committed, he would've found another way.

AR15's should be illegal, but all guns should NOT be illegal. There's a compromise needed And we need to start addressing the underlying problem instead of turning everything into political rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I try to avoid getting angry over stuff online.

But man, this takes the cake!

Fifty dead. Over fifty wounded. Hundreds, thousands of lives impacted.

And this disgusting person wants to disarm the population further?

To people like Hillary, "freedom" is nothing more than a double-word score in Scrabble.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Found this on Facebook, realised it is highly appropriate here:

I've seen this argument. You do realize Australia has a population of under 24 million, but the US has a population of OVER 318 million, right? Number comparisons like this ignore the basic fact that there's many times more people in the US, and many of those people have parents or grandparents that immigrated from many other countries.

Australia can't really be compared to the US for any meaningful statistic like that.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Australia isn't nearly as populated and is more spread out than America is so it's a lot easier to enforce the laws than it would be here.

There are so many guns unregistered out there that banning guns would be pointless and leave them in the hands of people who WILL use them for nefarious purposes.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

#### you, Hillary.

Bitch.

I agree.

On another note- let's say darling Chelsea drives her car into a light post.
Would Hillary:
A- make it crime to drive a car near a light post
B- ban the installation of light posts, ignoring the ones already installed
C- ban the sale of automobiles, ignoring the ones already sold
D- other?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Can someone name the 'assault weapon' used in these attacks?

2) Can someone tell me how you get more LEGAL than a federally licensed security guard, with a Guard Card?

3) Can someone tell me what law would have changed this?

4) Can someone tell me what LAW a terrorist follows when he intends to murder hundreds of people?

link   
I don't know why they think that new laws will help when they refuse to enforce the existing laws.

If there's on thing I agree with when it comes to the NRA is that the gun violence problem in America, is a mental health issue mostly.

There's some issues with access, gun shows and what not, but at the end of the day, when most convicted mass shooters were on some kind of anti depressant, we have to start looking at those issues.

~Tenth

link   
similar to reagans ban ?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I don't know why they think that new laws will help when they refuse to enforce the existing laws.

If there's on thing I agree with when it comes to the NRA is that the gun violence problem in America, is a mental health issue mostly.

There's some issues with access, gun shows and what not, but at the end of the day, when most convicted mass shooters were on some kind of anti depressant, we have to start looking at those issues.

~Tenth

Plenty of people on anti-depressants in Australia, including myself. We still have access to guns, we just need a license and to pass strict checks. Even with that, and the prevalence of anti-depressants, we still haven't had a single mass murder in 20 years.

Gun restrictions DO work. When implemented correctly. (note I said RESTRICTIONS not ALL OUT BAN. Some people would have you believe we banned guns entirely in Australia which is an outright LIE.)

edit on 13/6/2016 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
can i ask how a ban on assault rifles will impact the average american's safety?
don't you still have a few thousand options available in terms of weapons that can be bought?
I don't have a clear opinion on the matter i am just trying to understand where people are coming from or where the concern is.
What is the argument against the ban? how many regular citizens have stopped something bad from happening with one of those?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

~Tenth

Plenty of people on anti-depressants in Australia, including myself. We still have access to guns, we just need a license and to pass strict checks. Even with that, and the prevalence of anti-depressants, we still haven't had a single mass murder in 20 years.

You also don't have open borders, you're an ISLAND.

We do, with the people to the SOUTH of us being some of the most violent cultures in the world

You also do not have Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Milwaukee, New Orleans, etc. etc. etc.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

We still have access to guns, we just need a license and to pass strict checks.

I have a license and had to pass a background check.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Gun restrictions DO work. When implemented correctly. (note I said RESTRICTIONS not ALL OUT BAN. Some people would have you believe we banned guns entirely in Australia which is an outright LIE.)

I agree, 100%, that is what I am in favor of, restrictions based on things like mental health, criminal history etc.

But outright banning guns doesn't solve the problem, since criminals don't buy guns at gun stores. We have the same thing in Canada, it's VERY hard to get a handgun, but you can get one, with the proper training and licensing.

~Tenth

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join